Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2007, 10:20   #346
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I was at a meeting last night and the subject came up (not as an official agenda point), I'm afraid I was quite vehement in my opposition to the change - after I'd finished I got a round of applause and was asked by a few people at the meeting if I could go to other meetings and speak as eloquently about it.

There are a lot of people opposed to the change but most of them think it's a fait accompli.

It will be discussed as an official agenda point at our next meeting at the end of August.
Well done Gayle .. you tell 'em.

That's the problem though .. everyone thinking the decision has already been made so throwing in the towel before the flag is up. Well it 'aint !!!

What I cannot get to grips with is the point whereby the idea 'of giving the towns their own crests is to give them a stronger identification outside the area' quotes Steve Watson of Hyndburn Council. All very admirable, but no information has to how this will help ... I cannot see that it wil make one iota of difference myself to the towns' promotion. Can still do this anyway, can't we ? whilst still leaving the borough named Hyndburn ?

According to the Herald Area Council Meetings are to be held as follows:-

17th July - Huncoat ... whoops missed it.
25th July - Clayton and Altham
25th September - Great Harwood
2nd October - Church and Milnshaw
16th October - Rishton.

No mention of times or venues or Ossy (who I suspect will have the strongest view). Suppose you can go along to any actually, even if you don't live in some of the other areas.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2007, 10:26   #347
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

No mention of times or venues or Ossy (who I suspect will have the strongest view). Suppose you can go along to any actually, even if you don't live in some of the other areas.
Britcliffe claimed 100% support at the Ossy meeting.

What's that quote about lies, damned lies and statistics?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 10:34   #348
God Member

So moan about it on a MB or do summat? I don't see any petitions (not internet ones as there useless) or plans to attend a meeting en masse ?
Old 20-07-2007, 10:35   #349
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Britcliffe claimed 100% support at the Ossy meeting.

What's that quote about lies, damned lies and statistics?
Precisely. . well know fact that most statistics are made up on the spot.

Confused ... was the Ossy one not the one as reported in the Observer this week stating Church and Milnshaw then ?
Old 20-07-2007, 10:37   #350
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
So moan about it on a MB or do summat? I don't see any petitions (not internet ones as there useless) or plans to attend a meeting en masse ?
What's an MB Kipax ?
Old 20-07-2007, 10:38   #351
God Member

Quote:
What's an MB Kipax ?

thats poor from a goddess member ....tut tut

Message Board
Old 20-07-2007, 10:40   #352
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I would attend the meetings, but sadly most of the time I'm unable to walk. Not an excuse, just a fact. The few people that do attend the meetings can't be used by Britcliffe as some sort of referendum on the issue, because it isn't.

It's not so suprising that none of this came to light before the elections in May.

I'll do whatever is in my power to prevent one penny being spent on this name change, when money is so obviously needed in more deserving places throughout the borough.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:43   #353
Resting in Peace

Quote:
thats poor from a goddess member ....tut tut

Message Board
I know ...

But we are moaning about it on this message board, are we not ? Not sure moaning is very kind though ... just trying to put a view forward on this. Do you mean more official message boards ?
Old 20-07-2007, 10:49   #354
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I would attend the meetings, but sadly most of the time I'm unable to walk. Not an excuse, just a fact.

Sorry didn't realise things where that bad.. Hopefully not permanant and I do wish you well.

But as always the comment was directed at accyweb not anyone. As I have mentioned many times before.. I do feel Accyweb is an unused resource and could do so much good or at least make a difference or whatever.. But too many just happy to whinge and moan and not actually do anything.. Not just this subject.. I dunno.. just Accyweb could do so much more.. But I guess I am in the minority so I best shut up
Old 20-07-2007, 10:54   #355
God Member

Quote:
I know ...

But we are moaning about it on this message board, are we not ?
eeerm yes. but thats all anyone does when they feel badly done to.. from the arndale clock to the coppice thingy to hyndburn name change and everything inbetween... why not do somehting and make a difference is my opinion.. why not have a meeting.. make a plan of action.. attend one of the council meetings... using accyweb a voice could be heard.. the voice of real poeple accross hyndburn.. and doesnt have to be just onliners.. we all know other people offline (although I worry about some of you on that one hehe)

Anyways.. been here before... dead horse thingy..
Old 20-07-2007, 10:55   #356
God Member

Councillors and officers do use this site as a sort of barometer of people's views on a subject so it is still a valid place to make your feelings known.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 10:59   #357
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Councillors and officers do use this site as a sort of barometer of people's views on a subject so it is still a valid place to make your feelings known.
They will read and quote what they want to read and quote..

Is there a bigger community than accyweb anywhere in hyndburn? a better place where so many from so many places can come together... all that possible infuence wasted IMHO
Old 20-07-2007, 11:05   #358
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sorry didn't realise things where that bad.. Hopefully not permanant and I do wish you well.

But as always the comment was directed at accyweb not anyone. As I have mentioned many times before.. I do feel Accyweb is an unused resource and could do so much good or at least make a difference or whatever.. But too many just happy to whinge and moan and not actually do anything.. Not just this subject.. I dunno.. just Accyweb could do so much more.. But I guess I am in the minority so I best shut up
I didn't take it as a personal dig my old mucker, but thanks anyway.

Our M.P., and the leader of the Labour party on HBC, have both posted in this thread, so perhaps moaning on here might somehow help to make a difference, and prevent money being spent on it.

Old 20-07-2007, 11:06   #359
God Member

Quote:
They will read and quote what they want to read and quote..

Is there a bigger community than accyweb anywhere in hyndburn? a better place where so many from so many places can come together... all that possible infuence wasted IMHO
No there isn't but that means that posting on here does have a value. I am frequently being told that councillors and officers have read the views on here. I do think they take them into consideration.

Don't forget that this forum is read by a lot of people outside of the area too - if the council rode roughshod over the very visible views on here what impression would it give to outsiders?

This forum gives a voice to a lot of people who wouldn't ordinarily get involved with the democratic process - people who wouldn't go to meetings and who wouldn't fill in forms.

Please trust me Kipax, people in authority do pay attention to the general views on here.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 11:09   #360
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There could have been, but the powers that be at HBC decided to waste the six hundred thousand quid it was given, and decided that they couldn't be arsed with Hyndburn Life website.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..