Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2007, 13:06   #361
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Last time I mentioned the Arndale Clock Busman got a PM telling him to stop using it against Gayle. How the heck complaints about the demise of the Arndale Clock can be seen as an affront to Gayle is beyond me. Yes I've disagreed with some of her point of view about those things which shall remain nameless but not about them in principle and I think she's putting forward, very eloquently here a viewpoint which many of us agree with.

I still haven't totally given up hope regarding that clock and do think it would be brilliant if it could be resurrected and incorporated in the new medical centre building. I recall how elated I felt when the Observer carried that story saying we'd saved it.

I know I'm going to be away for a few weeks again soon but I think I will make another attempt to contact Andy Plant.

As for this name change farce. I will endeavour to attend something and voice my opinion too although I probably won't be as eloquent as Gayle or Katex but I think we all need to get a message across to the cou7ncil that we think this is a total waste of time money and effort. I shall be talking to everyone I know.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2007, 13:30   #362
Resting in peace

Quote:
Gayle, There are a lot of people opposed to the change but most of them think it's a fait accompli.
This is a disturbing point of view Gayle, to think that one person decides to change something no one can stop him; does not say a lot for 'democracy'.
Quote:
Gayle,It will be discussed as an official agenda point at our next meeting at the end of August.
Still time to do something about it then. Where and what are 'these meetings'?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 13:40   #363
Resident Waffler

I won't be here at the end of August but I'd certainly like my point of view to be heard.

Old 20-07-2007, 17:41   #364
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
Is there a bigger community than accyweb anywhere in hyndburn? a better place where so many from so many places can come together... all that possible infuence wasted IMHO
I do feel Kipax, that it was this thread that prompted Councillors Pritchard and Jones to attend our last Accyweb meet .. and Mr. Pritchard did ask me face on what I thought about the name change, adding that he sincerly would like my opinion .. and I believed him ...unfortunately Bacardi and Coke had started to kick in and my views may not have been coherent or forceful enough . You can't get any nearer than to talk to a man who will be responsible for voting on this issue, can you ? I would definitely have gone to one of these meetings, but unfortunately, work calls me, as presume will be during the day ?

Anyway, you are making me think a little deeper here and will try and do a little more to voice my opinion, be it the correct one or not .. least will have given it a shot.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 17:50   #365
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I do feel Kipax, that it was this thread that prompted Councillors Pritchard and Jones to attend our last Accyweb meet .. and Mr. Pritchard did ask me face on what I thought about the name change, adding that he sincerly would like my opinion .. and I believed him ...unfortunately Bacardi and Coke had started to kick in and my views may not have been coherent or forceful enough . You can't get any nearer than to talk to a man who will be responsible for voting on this issue, can you ? I would definitely have gone to one of these meetings, but unfortunately, work calls me, as presume will be during the day ?

Anyway, you are making me think a little deeper here and will try and do a little more to voice my opinion, be it the correct one or not .. least will have given it a shot.
I'll lend you the chains that I'm planning to shackle myself to the proposed wind farm, if you like.

The front door of the Town Hall is covered, so your hair won't go curley in all this rain, if you chain yourself there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 17:55   #366
Resident Waffler

Who do you have to see to organise a petition signing session in town? Don't tell me it's PB!

Old 20-07-2007, 18:03   #367
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The front door of the Town Hall is covered, so your hair won't go curley in all this rain, if you chain yourself there.
Do you know honey, your caring nature has no boundaries xx

Don't know Willow, doubt if PB LOL .. might have to seek permission from our bobbies maybe so that there would not be any obstuctions or anything. Ah, but where do you do it ? In Accy where most people would not have an objection, or one of 'The Districts' where many would see it differently ?
Would the timing be good just now, as is it just a proposal at the moment ? Need more knowledge on the protocol of local politics methinks.
Old 20-07-2007, 18:10   #368
Resident Waffler

Well, I was wondering if we could have a sort of co-ordinated effort and have some simultaneous signings in several locations - Accy town centre could get some if the point is made about it being likely to cost us despite what PB has said. We'd need more info to back that up though which is maybe where Graham and Malcolm could come in handy.

The 'and districts' might get more response like you say from the loss of identity point of view. Although this is being put forward as a positive thing in giving them more of an identity it can be pointed out that being an equal part of Hyndburn alongside Accrington is hardly the same as being an "and district" of Accrington.

Old 20-07-2007, 18:15   #369
God Member

Not sure what the clock has to do with this thread but thanks, Willow, for bringing up those-that-shall-not-be-named again Actually, they're a very good example of the power that this forum has had over local issues - the general feeling from the questionnaires and public meetings that we had was one of apathy but because there were such strong views published on this board it quite probably influenced some decision makers.

Other threads that have had a strong impact have been the 'taxi driver' ones. It galvanised a lot of people into writing to their councillors and to the Chief Exec to let them know what the general view of people was. This forum can be a valuable asset.

The meeting that I am referring to is a board meeting so is closed to non-members however, there are places that you could write to to let your views be known. I suggest the first person to write to is your MP and/or David Welsby, the Chief Executive.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 18:15   #370
God Member

I think any petition should be handed to the local paper first and let them hand it to whoever.. this would get maximum impact and harder to put in a drawer and look at later...
Old 20-07-2007, 18:41   #371
Resting in Peace

Just tried to express my views on Malc's .. tee hee website malcolmpritchard but for some reason won't let me vote .. probably me being thick.

Hopefully sent him an E-mail, but couldn't put all my thoughts together again without writing a second edition of War and Peace .. suggested he did the work himself and look at this thread for varying opinions on this issue.

Also asked why the Blue and White extension of the Town Hall has still not been painted yet.

Will see if proves fruitful.
Old 20-07-2007, 19:06   #372
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
I think any petition should be handed to the local paper first and let them hand it to whoever.. this would get maximum impact and harder to put in a drawer and look at later...
Excellent suggestion, but where shall we gather the signatures? We need to get names on paper first before we can hand anything in anywhere. We need to co-ordinate our ideas - can't just go off half-cocked and have lots of people doing the same thing or nobody doing anything.

Old 20-07-2007, 20:51   #373
God Member

On WillowtheWhisp's poll on another thread, 'Hyndburn or Accrington and Districts' 14 people on here voted in favour of the name change and 15 voted against it.That means altogether 29 people bothered to vote even though all voting on a poll on this forum entails is pressing a key from the comfort of your own home.If people can't be fagged to do that I can't see them bothering to attend a meeting.It has been confirmed that what is posted on this forum is seen and discussed by the council so it does matter.There is just too much apathy round here,you only need to look at the pathetically low number of people who turn out to vote in the elections to realise that.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 20:58   #374
Give, give, give member

I wonder if Peter Britcliffe blames the abysmal cock up and failure of Hyndburn Life on it's name?

After all Accrington Web is thriving.

Perhaps we are all to blame on this daft idea.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 21:38   #375
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
On WillowtheWhisp's poll on another thread, 'Hyndburn or Accrington and Districts' 14 people on here voted in favour of the name change and 15 voted against it.That means altogether 29 people bothered to vote even though all voting on a poll on this forum entails is pressing a key from the comfort of your own home.If people can't be fagged to do that I can't see them bothering to attend a meeting.It has been confirmed that what is posted on this forum is seen and discussed by the council so it does matter.There is just too much apathy round here,you only need to look at the pathetically low number of people who turn out to vote in the elections to realise that.
I agree........who gives a toss anyway. It will happen.
Your opinion means nothing.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..