Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

About time name got changed. Have you seen "Hyndburn" on a map?

You can see

Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Rishton, Gt Harwood,
Clayton-Le-Moors, Altham, Church, Baxenden.

but I have yet to find Hyndburn on a map!!!
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
will taxes go up to pay for all the changing signs etc

Like everything else it will cost and fall upon the tax payers
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
sounds a good idea to me , as others have said if you say your from Accrington or from near Accrington people know where your from .
Interesting. The last two posts supported the change, but they don't live here, and won't be paying for it.

As stated earlier, this isn't a return to pre 1974 state of affairs, each town with their own urban council. This is the creation of a brand new borough name, leaving the other towns outside of Accrington, presumably feeling even more under valued.

Yes US Angel, if the cost of just changing the sign posts, never mind, all the bin wagons/council vans, stationary etc, is £20,000, then the tax payer will be footing the bill, as per usual.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12   #34
Give, give, give member

*Lol, the last two posts before Ber999T, who slipped in between, whilst I was posting.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:27   #35
Resting in Peace

Cheers rindy LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55   #36
God Member

Drop the dead donkey.............and the riders?

Should It Be Hyndburn Or Accrington (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06   #37
God Member

I was going to mention The Mighty Boosh, it's hilarious in an English eccentric Pythonesque kind of way but I don't think it quite beats The Royle Family.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:29   #38
God Member

In 1974, the London bureaucrats responsible for local government reorganisation came up with the name of Hyndburn on the basis that the river passed through the Borough of Accrington and all it's adjacent towns and urban districts; however, where it flows through Ossy, I know not.

The name was chosen in order to avoid any suggestion of favouritism towards Accrington, although most locals would have pointed out that "Hyndburn" was only an alternative name for the river and it was most commonly referred to as "The Stink". It would appear that to have named the new local authority "Stink" was unaccepable, although no doubt over the years this name would have had far more impact than the otherwise meaningless Hyndburn.

Accrington and District(s) is a far more recognisable name and for the relatively small sums of money involved in changing it should prove a wise investment, although I notice that according to the LT, the "Districts" of Harwood, Rishton, Clayton, Ossy and Accy itself will get their own coat of arms - but not Church! Assuming this is not a cock-up on the part of the LT, I assume that this will be speedily rectified by the powers that be.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:31   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I was going to mention The Mighty Boosh, it's hilarious in an English eccentric Pythonesque kind of way but I don't think it quite beats The Royle Family.
Proof that Absinthe makes you blind.
Dear oh dear...
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
(but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) if thats the case,you should be proud of where you come from, nowt wrong wi it.but sorry if you aint from here gayle its sod all to you then.

It is sod all to me - I come from Oswaldtwistle and I'd rather be a part of Hyndburn than being dismissed by the '....and districts' tag.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It is sod all to me - I come from Oswaldtwistle and I'd rather be a part of Hyndburn than being dismissed by the '....and districts' tag.
Lets face it Gayle - Hyndburn means nowt to any sensible person,but you have to be awkward,as usual.

If "District" is not good enough, then what about a completely new name altogeather? What about Britcliffeton? Or Accrington and the USA ('Uther Side of Accrington). Anyway, if some of your labour friends would have had their way, Hyndburn would have disappeared a few years ago and we would now be "Blackburn with Darwin and Accy"

Given that Church occupies the geographic centre of Hyndburn and is also the oldest recorded part of the borough, I personally think it should be renamed "Church, Districts and the Dosshole Ossy". That has a nice ring, don't you think?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2007 at 11:38.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Lets face it Gayle - Hyndburn means nowt to any sensible person,but you have to be awkward,as usual.
Other people have objected to the name change but you've picked up on mine, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
If "District" is not good enough, then what about a completely new name altogeather? What about Britcliffeton? Or Accrington and the USA ('Uther Side of Accrington). Anyway, if some of your labour friends would have had their way, Hyndburn would have disappeared a few years ago and we would now be "Blackburn with Darwin and Accy"

Given that Church occupies the geographic centre of Hynburn and is also the oldest recorded part of the borough, I personally think it should be renamed "Church, Districts and the Dosshole Ossy". That has a nice ring, don't you think?
Well as Church is clearly the centre of the universe, despite you living 300 miles south of it, I think you've got a point. Anyway, if people don't know where Hyndburn is surely that's not the fault of the people who live here - we know where we live - surely it's the fault of people who have gone to live elsewhere not spreading the word efficiently enough.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46   #43

I think there is some merit in changing the name to Accrington (the 'and District' bit seems a little 1920s to me). It's worth bearing mind that neighbouring Burnley also comprises of towns and villages such as Padiham, Worsthorne, Cliviger, etc without too many problems. I often say that I'm the MP for Accrington to people from London, not because I'm ashamed of the other towns (I'm an 'Arroder!) but simply because no-one has heard of Hyndburn. Giving boroughs names that weren't places was common in the 1970s but I think it's time to move on now.

Incidentally, the constituency name won't change as a result of this. The naming of constituencies is up to the Parliamentary Boundary Commission. Confusingly, the Hyndburn constituency is larger than Hyndburn Borough as it includes Haslingden as well. Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:49   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
I
Incidentally, the constituency name won't change as a result of this. The naming of constituencies is up to the Parliamentary Boundary Commission. Confusingly, the Hyndburn constituency is larger than Hyndburn Borough as it includes Haslingden as well. Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...
Aye....good idea, Greg. What about Church and District Parliamentary Constituency?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:53   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...
Think big like Manchester, Greater Burnley sounds good

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..