Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 11:57   #46
white rabbits

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Think big like Manchester, Greater Burnley sounds good
ooh i like the sound of that
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01   #47
God Member

Let's change the name and stuff the people of Hyndburn. we don't care what they think. let's just do it. Anyway they are all thick. If we tell them it is for there good they will fall over themselves thanking us.

Over to Accyweb
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
. Anyway, if people don't know where Hyndburn is surely that's not the fault of the people who live here - we know where we live - surely it's the fault of people who have gone to live elsewhere not spreading the word efficiently enough.
Eh? You need to make your mind up, Gayle. Do you live in Hyndburn or do you live in Ossy?. Total confusion, as usual. Personally, I would live in neither.

I am pretty sure that Greg's experiances in London are the same as mine when asked where you are from...Hyndburn is completely meaningless and so you reply ".Church/Harwood...just outside Accy". People may not have heard of the former places , but they have certainly heard of the latter. I occaisionally tell 'em about a place called Oswaldtwistle, but no one believes me - they think I'm making it up.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:15   #49
Give, give, give member

Forgive my ignorance, but when the name Hyndburn was created, instead of having separate urban councils, didn't the constituency name change at the same time? I seem to remember Arthur Davidson going from MP for Accrington to Hyndburn overnight.

It all sounds peculiarly British and half hearted, a bit like the mess we are in with weights and measures, being offically half metric and yet still half Imperial.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39   #50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
I think there is some merit in changing the name to Accrington (the 'and District' bit seems a little 1920s to me). It's worth bearing mind that neighbouring Burnley also comprises of towns and villages such as Padiham, Worsthorne, Cliviger, etc without too many problems. I often say that I'm the MP for Accrington to people from London, not because I'm ashamed of the other towns (I'm an 'Arroder!) but simply because no-one has heard of Hyndburn. Giving boroughs names that weren't places was common in the 1970s but I think it's time to move on now.
For a change, I agree with Greg. Sod the "and Districts" bit, just call the borough "Accrington". I live in Stockport which has within it, a number of separate towns like Cheadle and Bramhall, all with their own identity, yet no one complains - it's just accepted as quite natural that the borough takes the name of the largest and best-known town in it. Did the residents of Huncoat and Baxenden complain pre-1974 about their identity being lost? I don't remember them doing so.

It's quite telling, too, that he often says he's the MP for Accrington. And why was this forum not called Hyndburn web? Because it's a name that no one uses, no one likes and no one, outside North East Lancs, knows!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49   #51
God Member

Go to Google /com and type in Hyndburn

Results 1 - 100 of about 894,000 for hyndburn. (0.20 seconds)

Gonne take some changing isn't it..

As for Greg Pope not mentioning Hyndburn when in London because no ones heard of it... Well DUH! perhaps if the MP did mention it then....
Old 01-06-2007, 13:08   #52
God Member

The peculiar thing is that "Hyndburn", as a historical concept, may not even be correct. If you look on some of the old maps of the area, you will see that the river is named as the "Henburn" and that the moor above it - between Clayton and Accrington - is named as Henfield Moor...the "H" was subsequently dropped to become Enfield (as per the cricket club).

The simple truth is that Hyndburn is simply a local government entity in which certain services are paid for and delivered. While there may may road signs saying Welcome to Hyndburn, it is not to be found on any Ordnance Survey or AA road map, It is ignored by the Royal Mail. It is no more than a concept dreamt up in the 1970's and as such it is now well past it's use-by date. Let's bung it in the wheelie bin, the sooner the better.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2007 at 13:11.
Old 01-06-2007, 13:13   #53

accrington and district- doesnt that sound like a nice place. the district adds a certain charm i would imagine it to be a place with plenty of cobbled streets and men with cloth caps riding bycicles. the reality is a load of chavs in clayton and springhill accompanied by their menacing pitbulls. oh i forgort the wedge haircut asian lads speeding in cars ganging around the streets. how misleading is this new name? very and at a big cost to the taxpayer
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:24   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
. how misleading is this new name? very and at a big cost to the taxpayer
So Accrington is a new name? Britcliiffe or someone like him thought of the word while lying in the bath? Are you being totally stupid or are you just trying to be like Gayle?
Old 01-06-2007, 13:25   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Go to Google /com and type in Hyndburn

Results 1 - 100 of about 894,000 for hyndburn. (0.20 seconds)

Gonne take some changing isn't it..
Type in Accrington and you get.........
Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for accrington. (0.22 seconds.

In the ever, faster changing world of the internet 894,000 will be forgotten in about 2 days.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:33   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
Type in Accrington and you get.........
Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for accrington. (0.22 seconds.

In the ever, faster changing world of the internet 894,000 will be forgotten in about 2 days.

Whoooooosh!

Take a look at the hyndburn results.. I wasn't suggesting change google...Look at all the companies and organisations.. Will they all be compensated for the name change.. it would make for a massive task and the money quoted so far wouldn't even touch it.
Old 01-06-2007, 13:39   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So Accrington is a new name? Britcliiffe or someone like him thought of the word while lying in the bath? Are you being totally stupid or are you just trying to be like Gayle?
i was reffering to the full name - Accrington and District if you really must know.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:43   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
Whoooooosh!

Take a look at the hyndburn results.. I wasn't suggesting change google...Look at all the companies and organisations.. Will they all be compensated for the name change.. it would make for a massive task and the money quoted so far wouldn't even touch it.
Looking at the first 2 pages (who goes beyond that when surfing) and 90% are borough council or its affiliates, they would change via the tax payer. If its just changing headings on letters or website names its not that expensive. It took to page 3 before a company with Hyndburn in its name appeared.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:50   #59

I think it's a great idea, as long as 'Arrod, Ossy, Clayton etc still get to keep their identities.
Old 01-06-2007, 14:04   #60
Resting in peace

Quote:
Tealeaf. The name was chosen in order to avoid any suggestion of favouritism towards Accrington, although most locals would have pointed out that "Hyndburn" was only an alternative name for the river and it was most commonly referred to as "The Stink". It would appear that to have named the new local authority "Stink" was unaccepable, although no doubt over the years this name would have had far more impact than the otherwise meaningless Hyndburn.
I'm glad I read the back posts now, before putting my eighteen-pennyworth in. I was going to suggest 'stink' as it was not untill my teens that I was informed that this river was called the Hyndburn, we allways called it the river 'Stink' and rightly so because it did, and is now like the town, a dumping ground for all the worlds rubbish. In my humble opinion.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..