Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 14:23   #61
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

will Altham West get its own district or be classed as accrington?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2007, 14:26   #62
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
will Altham West get its own district or be classed as accrington?
Is that the posh area, where they take their washing to the Launderette in a Violin case?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 14:36   #63
God Member

lol .....thats the one!!!!!!
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 14:40   #64
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
lol .....thats the one!!!!!!
I'll bet you get out of the bath to go for a wee wee to
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 14:47   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Incidentally, the constituency name won't change as a result of this. The naming of constituencies is up to the Parliamentary Boundary Commission. Confusingly, the Hyndburn constituency is larger than Hyndburn Borough as it includes Haslingden as well. Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...
Quite so, quite so. Well...don't just sit there like cheese at fourpence - GET IT SORTED MAN!!! Good grief, do we have to do everything ourselves?
Old 01-06-2007, 14:54   #66
Give, give, give member

I gave up counting when I got to fifty two, but there are locally quite a lot of businesses/clubs/societies/charities with Hyndburn as part of their name.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 15:10   #67
God Member

Mind you, it does seem a bit strange for the Council to be considering a name change so soon after spending tens of thousands of tax payers hard earned pounds in boasting of "thirty years of service to the community".
Old 01-06-2007, 15:15   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Mind you, it does seem a bit strange for the Council to be considering a name change so soon after spending tens of thousands of tax payers hard earned pounds in boasting of "thirty years of service to the community".

Surely nobody expects them to spend the tens of thousands of pounds on better services/facilites do they ?
Old 01-06-2007, 18:05   #69

Angry Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been called Hyndburn in the first place but the fact is that it is and I don't think it's a good idea to change it back to something that it was 30 years ago.

I understand the pride in Accrington (but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) but the heritage of the town is not the only thing that we should be trading on. There are so many things wrong with the town at the moment and I don't think that a name change will cure it.
I NEVER wanted Hyndburn to start with But, we HAD to have it and I think it should stay. Are we really bothered that people South of Hyndburn don't know where it is. Do they know where Calder is and Pendle etc. I for one don't want just Accrington. and my town is not a District. It's Oswaldtwistle. I also used to live in a place that was the oldest, the most historic and now is the most deprived place. Church. I also came from Clayton le Moors. So NO i don't want Accrington and Districts If we can't have Church Oswaldtwistle Rishton Gt Harwood Altham etc All separate Then leave it as Hyndburn. and STOP MEDDLING.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 18:09   #70
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I dont know if this as been asked before, but what will they call the river hyndburn? river accrington? or will it stay the same?
and the buses will have to be accrington circular!!
Old 01-06-2007, 18:14   #71
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
I for one don't want just Accrington. and my town is not a District. It's Oswaldtwistle. If we can't have Church Oswaldtwistle Rishton Gt Harwood Altham etc All separate Then leave it as Hyndburn. and STOP MEDDLING.
i live in oswaldtwistle too and it annoys me when i put my address on anything online, and i put ossy as town it says it cant find it, but as soon as i put accrington it finds it!! OSWALDTWISTLE is a town on its own and i have too to say that it should have its own! we dont live in accrington its OSWALDTWISTLE!!
Old 01-06-2007, 18:36   #72
Give, give, give member

'The sum of £20,000 for new road signs has already been set aside in the council’s budget, says Peter Britcliffe.'

Accrington Observer - End of the road for Hyndburn

Cleverly worded Mr Britcliffe, and a nice bit of spin. £20,000 may have been set aside for new road signs, but that isn't going to be the actual cost, is it?

I have it on very good authority, after a bit of investigation, that HBC pay around £5,000 each for a road sign, which includes manufacture and erection.

Therefore, the replacement four signs we have saying Welcome to Oswaldtwistle/ Borough of Hyndburn, will alone account for the mentioned twenty thousand pounds.

Forget the Two Ronnie Fork Handles, we'll be lucky to get four signs.

I estimate the cost throughout the borough, for replacement road signs alone, never mind all the other changes that will need to be done, will be over £100,000.

Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.

Hyndburn is just the name of our council. We all know where we live, and are rightly proud. This rebranding is going to be a complete waste of money, no matter what spin Mr Britcliffe puts on it.

Old 01-06-2007, 18:37   #73
Give, give, give member

A point to note.

If we all stop paying Hyndburn Borough Council our Council Tax now, they won't be able to claim a penny back after it's disbanded, as they will no longer exist.

Old 01-06-2007, 19:08   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The sum of £20,000 for new road signs has already been set aside in the council’s budget, says Peter Britcliffe.'

Accrington Observer - End of the road for Hyndburn

Cleverly worded Mr Britcliffe, and a nice bit of spin. £20,000 may have been set aside for new road signs, but that isn't going to be the actual cost, is it?

I have it on very good authority, after a bit of investigation, that HBC pay around £5,000 each for a road sign, which includes manufacture and erection.

Therefore, the replacement four signs we have saying Welcome to Oswaldtwistle/ Borough of Hyndburn, will alone account for the mentioned twenty thousand pounds.

Forget the Two Ronnie Fork Handles, we'll be lucky to get four signs.

I estimate the cost throughout the borough, for replacement road signs alone, never mind all the other changes that will need to be done, will be over £100,000.

Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.

Hyndburn is just the name of our council. We all know where we live, and are rightly proud. This rebranding is going to be a complete waste of money, no matter what spin Mr Britcliffe puts on it.
I'm sure if someone goes on a scavenger hunt through the Council yards they will find all the original signs , just put them back up , and as for donations , I'm sure the many proud and independant folks of the area would be against the idea of recieving handouts from outsiders

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 19:29   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm sure if someone goes on a scavenger hunt through the Council yards they will find all the original signs , just put them back up , and as for donations , I'm sure the many proud and independant folks of the area would be against the idea of recieving handouts from outsiders

As stated earlier, this isn't the old name of the borough. Accrington and District Borough is a new name, hence new signs needed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..