Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2007, 20:26   #751

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Re. The Housing Survey:- I don't mind telling how many bedrooms I have - but I draw the line at - annual gross income, household savings/debt and value and equity of my home.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2007, 20:28   #752
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
Re. The Housing Survey:- I don't mind telling how many bedrooms I have - but I draw the line at - annual gross income, household savings/debt and value and equity of my home.
Personally I think they want to know to much that isn't relevant to building houses!!
Old 13-11-2007, 20:33   #753

I've not had this housing survey as yet, what sort of questions are they asking
Old 13-11-2007, 20:52   #754
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I've not had this housing survey as yet, what sort of questions are they asking
I have sealed mine up now ready for posting, but from memory--
Number of bedrooms
Number of occupants
State of repair
Occupants disabilities
Need to seek better housing
Access to transport, leisure etc
Age of occupants
Need for social help to live at home
Affordability of present housing
Under threat of repossession?
Overcrowded?
Any young adults who will need to leave home soon?

The contentious bit was about income and savings but I suppose they need to know so they can judge what housing types can be afforded

Oh I remember another which was a bit dodgy - ethnic origin

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-11-2007 at 20:55.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 21:05   #755

Thankyou for the info Margaret, some interesting questions.
Old 13-11-2007, 21:37   #756
Senior Member+

<garinda>Good to hear that the issue will be put to a referendum, and yes the proposed name change, and the idea for town councils is, and should remain, two separate issues.

Graham, who will have voting rights on the new town/parish councils?
It will be another local election. We currently have elections every year, so it wil just be an extra ballot paper. Anyone (within the law) can stand. Every person on the electoral roll can vote, as always.

Just the councillors who are currently representing wards in that town?
Anyone can stand. They could be the only candidate and therefore elected automatically.

If so, we could see one party towns, which seems rather frightening to me. At least with HBC there is a political balace of views, from all parties.

Certain areas do favour certain political viewpoints and I agree you could end up with one party politics. I'd favour that over a bunch of independents though. LOL I've got in for them I know!! LOL They represent all four corners so long as it is is in their own personal interest!
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 21:41   #757
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Councils will soon be able to build housing -Brown's latest idea to provide thousands of homes for the poorly paid.
So the council need to summarise what type of housing people have, need, and can afford.
I have filled mine in.
This could be interesting as your local Tories are opposed to subsidised housing and 'Council Housing'.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 21:49   #758
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
This could be interesting as your local Tories are opposed to subsidised housing and 'Council Housing'.
So all the more reason for filling the form in, to make it blatantly obvious that the borough needs more social housing.

Old 13-11-2007, 22:05   #759
Give, give, give member

Quote:
<garinda>Good to hear that the issue will be put to a referendum, and yes the proposed name change, and the idea for town councils is, and should remain, two separate issues.

Graham, who will have voting rights on the new town/parish councils?
It will be another local election. We currently have elections every year, so it wil just be an extra ballot paper. Anyone (within the law) can stand. Every person on the electoral roll can vote, as always.

Just the councillors who are currently representing wards in that town?
Anyone can stand. They could be the only candidate and therefore elected automatically.

If so, we could see one party towns, which seems rather frightening to me. At least with HBC there is a political balace of views, from all parties.

Certain areas do favour certain political viewpoints and I agree you could end up with one party politics. I'd favour that over a bunch of independents though. LOL I've got in for them I know!! LOL They represent all four corners so long as it is is in their own personal interest!
Thanks very much for answering my questions Graham.

However I'm still a little confused.

So, we would have new parish/town councillors. (How many, or is that not yet decide?)

Ward councillors, who'd represent us on the borough council, as we have at present. (Could someone be a parish/town councillor, and sit on the borough council as well?)

Finally we'd still have county councillors at Lancashire County Council.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:12   #760
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not being controversial here like and am guilty of thread wanders myself, but do you think you could set up a separate thread on this, as would not like to detract from the issue originally discussed.

Last edited by katex; 13-11-2007 at 22:18.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:20   #761
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not being controversial here like and am guilty of thread wanders myself, but do you think you could set up a separate thread on this, as would not like to detract from the issue originally discussed.
I agree it merits a thread of its own - 13 posts beginning with #735 (for info of mods)

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-11-2007 at 22:22.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:30   #762

I do wonder whether the proposal for Town Councils has been thought out properly.

There are many questions that need to answered (a few spring to mind but please add any others)-

Exactly what the powers (if any ) of the new Town Councils will be
How many members they will have (currently Great Harwood has 5 borough Councillors and Oswaldtwistle has 7).

Can councillors serve as 'Town/Parish' 'Borough'and 'County' councillors at the same time.

Will these councillors be paid.

If the Town Council has devolved powers how will this be paid for (how much extra will the council tax bills be)

Will the Town Councils area be the same as the old UDC.

Will the Town Councils employ staff directly are will they buy the services of staff from HBC. (Which would create a whole new lot od bureaucracy - in calculating how much was to be charged out).
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:57   #763
Resident Waffler

Having looked at the form I am now asking myself what business is it of theirs how much income we have and whether or not we have a mortgage?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:59   #764
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Having looked at the form I am now asking myself what business is it of theirs how much income we have and whether or not we have a mortgage?
And they want you to answer all the questions sorry don't understand why they need to know things like that!!!
Old 13-11-2007, 23:12   #765
Resident Waffler

I take it this form is not compulsory, or has Hyndburn become a police state?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..