Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2007, 22:25   #766

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I take it this form is not compulsory, or has Hyndburn become a police state?
Could be many a true word sopken in jest.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2007, 22:36   #767
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Could be many a true word sopken in jest.
ours will be filed under R for RUBBISH, certain questions are NONE of their bloody business as far as cashys concerned.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:38   #768
God Member

Won't be filling ours in either, far to many questions that have nothing to do with them!!
Old 13-11-2007, 22:40   #769
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ours will be filed under R for RUBBISH, certain questions are NONE of their bloody business as far as cashys concerned.
This is a thread wander and should really have a thread of its own - but until the mods sort it -
The form does not bear any name and address and does not require signing. It is posted to an address in Brighton to a firm who will collate statistics from the answers. I cannot see how Hyndburn Council will know who has more money to burn than most and wants a flash pad

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:45   #770
God Member

Margaret it may not have your address on but it is numbered on the front page. Mine is 23-HBC33428/ 105640

Last edited by BERNADETTE; 13-11-2007 at 22:47.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:46   #771
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is a thread wander and should really have a thread of its own - but until the mods sort it -
The form does not bear any name and address and does not require signing. It is posted to an address in Brighton to a firm who will collate statistics from the answers. I cannot see how Hyndburn Council will know who has more money to burn than most and wants a flash pad
yeh but on the front page top-left there is code numbers, if that dont denote who has returned it, i will plat sawdust.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:48   #772
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh but on the front page top-left there is code numbers, if that dont denote who has returned it, i will plat sawdust.
If they didn't know who the form was from what use would it be?
Old 13-11-2007, 22:54   #773
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Margaret it may not have your address on but it is numbered on the front page.
I once did a similar survey about customer service for Dhss Accrington. The numbering is to keep track of how many replies are recieved in each batch issued and does not get associated with the address of the sender. When I did it, I had to produce a matrix of statistics MANUALLY - this firm will just have people (in Brighton) inputting into a computer- none of them care two hoots how wealthy you are.
I think that the info will show Hyndburn's GREAT need for more social housing and that PB and co will have to reconsider the tory policy of NOT building them.

Old 13-11-2007, 23:00   #774
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

that may be the case, but i would trust the DSS over HBC any day of the week.
Old 13-11-2007, 23:07   #775

The number of people who are waiting to rent property, in itself shows how many people require social housing in Hyndburn. I find it quite unacceptable that there are people who are exploiting the need for rented accomodation in the borough by charging exorbitant rents for very substandard accomodation. In a low wage area like this it is surely obvious that we need much more affordable (and decent) low cost rented accomodation.
After all, it is the taxpayers of this country (through Hosing Benefits), who are providing the 'bad' private landlords, who charge inflated rents, with a very good profit.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 23:13   #776
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The number of people who are waiting to rent property, in itself shows how many people require social housing in Hyndburn. I find it quite unacceptable that there are people who are exploiting the need for rented accomodation in the borough by charging exorbitant rents for very substandard accomodation. In a low wage area like this it is surely obvious that we need much more affordable (and decent) low cost rented accomodation.
After all, it is the taxpayers of this country (through Hosing Benefits), who are providing the 'bad' private landlords, who charge inflated rents, with a very good profit.
They wont know how poor people are here unless they are told.
They wont know about bad condfitions in private tenancies unless they are told.
They wont know (or perhaps dont want to know) the need exists unless they are told by statistics which have been gathered independantly from council meddling by this firm in Brighton

PS Mods please get this into a thread of its own

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-11-2007 at 23:15.
Old 14-11-2007, 07:17   #777
Resident Waffler

Can't help wondering how much of our council tax HBC has paid for this survey to be produced.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:37   #778
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks very much for answering my questions Graham.

However I'm still a little confused.

So, we would have new parish/town councillors. (How many, or is that not yet decide?)

Ward councillors, who'd represent us on the borough council, as we have at present. (Could someone be a parish/town councillor, and sit on the borough council as well?)

Finally we'd still have county councillors at Lancashire County Council.
They are proposing 15 new Town councillors for Gt Harwood, plus the 5 district councillors on HBC plus the 1 county councillor. You can sit on all three if elected to all 3. There will then be 3 tiers of local government.

We have Area Councils, Neighbourhood Management currently and it is all a mess. Hence why Labour Councillors have been looking into it. But not with the same view as PB of course. There are also Neighbourhood Pride/Street Ambassador type reps and political representation numbers. In some EU countries it is as low as 1 per 150, 1 per 300-500 often, but here it is 2 per 3,500.

The Tories have not had dicussions at this level and I know they are just looking for warm words and votes (and rescue the renaming fiasco) having spoken to them and their councillors on the subject.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:56   #779
Senior Member+

Don't mean to thread wander but Hyndburn has a huge Housing crises. There is very little we are doing right for the future IMO. Planning and spatial planning of develoment, green belt use, development quotas (huge oversupply in Hyndburn), house build quality & design, lifespan, green issues (transport, south facing, eco friendly, energy conservation), house mixture (80 yr wait for sheltered accom for elderly - bungalows not profitable etc..), tenure (£160,000 new build all the time?), estate planning (bulk refuse, open green spaces refused/limited instead of estate management fees), lack of consultation in regen areas, poor regen policies and poor regen financing leading to lack of pvte sector investment, skewed funding areas causing racial tensions, building control and planning policies working against regeneration (and which no-one cares about enough/understands enough to review or change). Sorry for going on but we could do so much better...
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:58   #780
Resident Waffler

Those are fair points Graham but I still don't see why they need to know if people are in debt and by how much, or the level of income of the family.

It could all change in a flash anyway - somebody could be made redundant and get behind on their mortgage and fall into debt.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..