Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2007, 18:52   #811
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Willow, Katex, do either of you want to take this or shall I?

For the umpteenth time - it is NOT reverting to Accrington, Accrington is, was and always will be Accrington. This is a completely NEW name for the borough!
i know its a completely new name for the borough what was it called years ago before this stupid name(Hyndburn)was it Accrington @ district? god i must be thick.
Old 30-11-2007, 19:01   #812
Resident Waffler

Why does PB think that it will bring investment into the borough if he changes the name? If people are looking to relocate surely they look at a map and check out the geographical location and then they'll see the name Accrington. Hyndburn doesn't appear on a map. They'll only come across the name once they settle here and start paying rates!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 19:04   #813
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

apparently our Grand Master P.B. is talking about a referendum in the observer, whilst i think its a good idea- Seeing Is Believing
Old 30-11-2007, 21:17   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i know its a completely new name for the borough what was it called years ago before this stupid name(Hyndburn)was it Accrington @ district? god i must be thick.
The Borough of Hyndburn as it is presently constitued has never been called Accrington and District. Before Hyndurn it was Accrington (which was a borough) and several Urban District Councils - Rishton, Great Harwood, Church, Clayton-le-Moors and Oswaldtwistle, and a parish Altham (which was part of Burnley Rural District Council).
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 23:08   #815
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The Borough of Hyndburn as it is presently constitued has never been called Accrington and District. Before Hyndurn it was Accrington (which was a borough) and several Urban District Councils - Rishton, Great Harwood, Church, Clayton-le-Moors and Oswaldtwistle, and a parish Altham (which was part of Burnley Rural District Council).
ta claytonender knew it was Accrington forgot( borough)@urbans, which was fine by me, as i used to work eons ago for Rishton shudda remembered lol i blame the onset of old age gayle just razzed me off a bit with her comment
Old 01-12-2007, 09:21   #816
Give, give, give member

What is the point of any more meetings, if as promised, we are to have a referendum on the proposed name change next May?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:44   #817
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What is the point of any more meetings, if as promised, we are to have a referendum on the proposed name change next May?
perhaps cos like P.B.,certain people have delusions of there own importance
Old 01-12-2007, 16:55   #818

Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breathe that there will be a referendum.

The first item on the agenda is a report on the name change with a recommendation as follows - 'That the Council considers whether to progress a proposal to change the name of the Borough'.
the link to this item is http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ge_of_Name.pdf

There is no mention made of a referendum - despite PB's promise at the Joint Ares Council meeting (and which was reported in the Accrington Observer).

It will be interesting hearing the debate on this.
Old 01-12-2007, 17:30   #819
Resident Waffler

If there is a referendum I wonder if they will make it adequately clear exactly what the proposals are?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:22   #820
Give, give, give member

Rersults of a straw poll, taken tonight at dinner, amongst ten non-Brits.

Question asked, spoken in my cut glass Queen's English, which name do you prefer the sound of, Accrington or Hyndburn?

9/10 prefered the sound of Hyndburn.

(The one dissenter happily wasn't my date.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33   #821
God Member

Quote:
Rersults of a straw poll, taken tonight at dinner, amongst ten non-Brits.

Question asked, spoken in my cut glass Queen's English, which name do you prefer the sound of, Accrington or Hyndburn?

9/10 prefered the sound of Hyndburn.

(The one dissenter happily wasn't my date.)
not surprised, foreigners allways have problems pronouncing their English 'Rs'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 13:54   #822
God Member

So tonight is the council decision on the name change. My understanding is that it will require a two-thirds vote in favour in order to proceed, which given the current political balance is unlikely to happen. Although I am no fan of Britcliffe, it would appear to me that this was an imaginative idea which could possibly turn the tide of relentless economic decline in the borough.

It is darkly comical that it is the 'exiles' on here who are in favour of the change - they are those would have little to gain from it - while it is the little "Hyndburnite" locals who oppose, on the grounds of cost. I never realised that Hyndburn contained so many members of the accountancy profession, which is quite amazing, given that many parts of the town now resemble a third world slum and one assumes that this is a place they would not wish to live. Still, if they wish to wallow in this mess, then so bit it.

The sad thing is that Accy does have so many unrealised assets currently going to waste; the only thing that is going to turn the situation around is outside investment. How do you attract that investment? By using our greatest single asset - that of the name of Accy. That is why this name change is so important. There is still a chance this may go the right way, but if not, then I would certainly have no sympathy for anyone on here who supports the ludicrous name of Hyndburn but constantly whinge about all the problems that exist there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 13:58   #823
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well said Tealeaf, with ya all the way on that! an i aint an exile
Old 04-12-2007, 14:46   #824

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying Tealeaf, investment is being brought into the borough of Hyndburn (we have recently had 2 new 21st century health centre's built) and have received lots other money. I quite honestly don't see how a name change would alter this, it is just a pity that for the last 6 months all we have heard is the name change. Surely PB and senior council officers should have been spending their thime on promoting the borough.
Old 04-12-2007, 16:59   #825
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

The sad thing is that Accy does have so many unrealised assets currently going to waste; the only thing that is going to turn the situation around is outside investment. How do you attract that investment? By using our greatest single asset - that of the name of Accy. That is why this name change is so important. There is still a chance this may go the right way, but if not, then I would certainly have no sympathy for anyone on here who supports the ludicrous name of Hyndburn but constantly whinge about all the problems that exist there.

But Accrington has always been here during the past 30 years of Hyndburn BC. It's not as if no-one has been able to find Accrington on the map should they have wished to do so. It hasn't been masquerading under the guise of "a part of Hyndburn" for the past 30 years so I really can't see how that argument holds water. The name Hyndburn only becomes relevant to would be investors after they have come.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..