Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 19:10   #826
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Seems the saga is over , Hyndburn stays Hyndburn ,
this is what has been posted on the attached link .....Posted by: Local Councillor, Hyndburn on 6:06pm today
"The meeting finished about half an hour ago, and everyone in the room accepted that leaving things as they are is the best way forward, due to the concerns from Great Harwood residents and also the cost factor. Hyndburn Borough Council will remain as it is."

Name Change Plans Decision Tonight (from Lancashire Telegraph)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2007, 19:17   #827
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So tonight is the council decision on the name change. My understanding is that it will require a two-thirds vote in favour in order to proceed, which given the current political balance is unlikely to happen. Although I am no fan of Britcliffe, it would appear to me that this was an imaginative idea which could possibly turn the tide of relentless economic decline in the borough.

It is darkly comical that it is the 'exiles' on here who are in favour of the change - they are those would have little to gain from it - while it is the little "Hyndburnite" locals who oppose, on the grounds of cost. I never realised that Hyndburn contained so many members of the accountancy profession, which is quite amazing, given that many parts of the town now resemble a third world slum and one assumes that this is a place they would not wish to live. Still, if they wish to wallow in this mess, then so bit it.

The sad thing is that Accy does have so many unrealised assets currently going to waste; the only thing that is going to turn the situation around is outside investment. How do you attract that investment? By using our greatest single asset - that of the name of Accy. That is why this name change is so important. There is still a chance this may go the right way, but if not, then I would certainly have no sympathy for anyone on here who supports the ludicrous name of Hyndburn but constantly whinge about all the problems that exist there.
Exactly! Karma sent.
Old 04-12-2007, 19:23   #828
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
this is what has been posted on the attached link .....Posted by: Local Councillor, Hyndburn on 6:06pm today
"The meeting finished about half an hour ago, and everyone in the room accepted that leaving things as they are is the best way forward, due to the concerns from Great Harwood residents and also the cost factor. Hyndburn Borough Council will remain as it is."

well can't win em all.
Old 04-12-2007, 19:29   #829
Super Moderator

Happy now, "Little Hyndburners"?
Old 04-12-2007, 19:40   #830
Resident Waffler

Yep. .............................

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 20:12   #831
God Member

Well, at least it's provoked debate - over 40 pages of it on here - you can't say we don't give things a thorough airing.

My point has always been that Hyndburn is purely an administrative name, it's fine if no one uses it outside of Hyndburn. So now that a decision has been made the council can put their efforts into promoting Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Great Harwood etc. properly instead of trying to fix something that wasn't the reason why things were broke in the first place!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:19   #832
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

Well, that's not the way I saw it Steeljack .. the debate re: the name change only finished around 7.45 p.m. seemed to be a debate on whether to have a referendum or not attached to the local elections in May. Totally confused by the outcome, but seems Councillor Jones's amendment to hold one may have been over-ridden, or was it that the Conservatives over-rode the debate not to have one.

A new amendment was put forward by Councillor Gott to vote there and then to change the name; this was dismissed. Was a lot of debate on the questions and what they were actually voting for. Hope Claytonender went .. she seems to understand it all.

Certainly no decision as yet to the name change .. came away totally perplexed. There again, was me first step into Council meetings.. no doubt will learn more as I go along.

Good news is .. Councillor Jones expressed the Labour Party's views that they were NOT in favour of the name change.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:22   #833
Resident Waffler

Now I'm confused.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:29   #834
God Member

sorry causing any confusion , I just posted the link from the Evening Telegraph , seems the comment posted by "local Councillor" could be some troll trying to stir things up, since you were there at 7.45 it does put the
6.06 pm time stamp under suspicion .
once again apologies for any confusion or mis information
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:30   #835
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Now I'm confused.
And me Willow .. I was there and reported as above .. looks like the comment attached to the Lancs. Telegraph report is a falsification.

Sorry, can't just get my head around the final outcome .. honest .. ya' never seem such a politically correct argy bargy with the Conservatives requesting 10 minutes adjornements all the time.

Was proud of Councillor Jones . did a good job .. straight forward, to the point. Councillor Britcliffe quite a comedian with his insults to the opposing party .. obviously well experienced at this, although wasting his breath .. water off a duck's back to the Councillor Jones.

Hope he will come on here and explain it all .. but definitely no decision.
Old 04-12-2007, 22:56   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
And me Willow .. I was there and reported as above .. looks like the comment attached to the Lancs. Telegraph report is a falsification.

Sorry, can't just get my head around the final outcome .. honest .. ya' never seem such a politically correct argy bargy with the Conservatives requesting 10 minutes adjornements all the time.

Was proud of Councillor Jones . did a good job .. straight forward, to the point. Councillor Britcliffe quite a comedian with his insults to the opposing party .. obviously well experienced at this, although wasting his breath .. water off a duck's back to the Councillor Jones.

Hope he will come on here and explain it all .. but definitely no decision.
You have pretty well summed up the meeting
Councillor Jones 's amemdment to have a referendum was defeated (after Councillor Brticliffe had had a 10 minute adjournment to discuss with his party). Councillor Britcliffe's comments that he could not have a referendum on May 1st (which is the date of the elections for HBC) as people would be confused if they were asked to many questions at once, was a real insult to the electorate of the borough of Hyndburn.

This vote was an open vote (reuested by the Labour Party), where each member has to publically declare, whether they are for the amendment or against the amendment - rather than just a show of hands.

Councillor Gott's amendment was that the meeting move forward to an actual vote on the name change, was also defeated. (again after a 10 minute ajournment). This was also one, where each member has to delare their vote openly. It was amusing that the first Tory to be asked - Roy Atkinson- actually said for the amendment before quickly changing his mind.

Before this vote, Councillor Jones's requested an ajournment.

If Councillor Gott's amendment had been carried - then there would have been another vote -to change the name of the borough- which would have required a 2/3rd majority of members present to be carried. There would not have been 2/3rd of the members supporting the vote , because the Tories could not rely on there getting the 20 votes needed.

So we are now no nearer getting the issue resolved, although in the Full Council meeting that followed Peter Britcliffe was quite sure that he would win more seats in next May's election, which would give him the 2/3rd majority he needs to change the name of the borough.

Last edited by claytonender; 04-12-2007 at 22:59.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 23:03   #837
God Member

It's just been on Granada Reports news that the decision has been deferred and a referendum held next year
Old 04-12-2007, 23:11   #838
Resting in Peace

Eeew thanks Claytonender .. not as thick as I thought I was.

Which one were you ? (not the one that got told off for laughing too much at Councillor Britcliffe from the gallery were you ?)

I was the reddish haired pensioner on the front row in black pin stripe suit, white top, with black and white designer shoes ...
Old 04-12-2007, 23:16   #839
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well if thats the case claytonender, the only way to democratically stop Ayatolla Britcliffe, is for the electorate of Hyndburn to get up off there Asses,and ensure he cannot get a majority.! and that is from one that wants the change.
Old 04-12-2007, 23:20   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Eeew thanks Claytonender .. not as thick as I thought I was.

Which one were you ? (not the one that got told off for laughing too much at Councillor Britcliffe from the gallery were you ?)

I was the reddish haired pensioner on the front row in black pin stripe suit, white top, with black and white designer shoes ...
Wish I has realised it was you, yes I did get told off for laughing too much at Councillor Britcliffe.

I was the grey haired pensioner in the turquiose(well its sort of that colour) top and black skirt. I wish I had known I would have been traipsing up and down those stairs so amny times - i Would have worn more sensible shoes.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..