Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 19:44   #76
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As stated earlier, this isn't the old name of the borough. Accrington and District Borough is a new name, hence new signs needed.
Like anyone would notice if the sign said "Accrington Borough" or 'Accrington and District Borough'

So how many thousands of Guineas will the Royal College of Arms charge for creating and registering the new crests
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2007, 21:24   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.
As I own the house my dad lives in and I pay the council tax, maybe I should ask for a rebate as I don't live there. In fact as I don't get to vote and have a say in what happens maybe the people who live there could pay for the numourous telephone calls I have to make every year to sort most of the problems that are caused by the said people. Maybe we could all put our hands in our pockets and therefore reduce the cost for all of you still living there.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 21:24   #78
Give, give, give member

Pondering on this issue a little longer...

when asked, we all know where we come from. Be it Accrington, Great Harwood, Church, wherever, and we say so.

The only person who will have a problem, when asked what he does, and where he's from, is Peter Britcliffe. Who will elicit blank faces, when he tells them he is leader of Hyndburn Council. Tough.

This all seems a bit like the supposed embarrassment that councillors said they faced, when visiting councillors came to the council chambers, and the resulting expense, was to the tune of £40,000 for one room.

Most people couldn't care two hoots that we are called Hyndburn, we aren't. It's only the council who are stuck with the name.

Services, not name changes are the order of the day.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 21:31   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
As I own the house my dad lives in and I pay the council tax, maybe I should ask for a rebate as I don't live there. In fact as I don't get to vote and have a say in what happens maybe the people who live there could pay for the numourous telephone calls I have to make every year to sort most of the problems that are caused by the said people. Maybe we could all put our hands in our pockets and therefore reduce the cost for all of you still living there.
Perhaps if some of the hundreds of thousands of pounds this is going to coast, was invested in staff training at HBC, you wouldn't have quite as many problems.

Old 01-06-2007, 22:00   #80
Give, give, give member

Read cost, instead of coast in the above post.

BB theme tune was starting.

Old 01-06-2007, 22:57   #81
Resident Waffler

I know why they want to change it! It's because I keep referring to it as Hyndborg Borough Council!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndborg BC.jpg (17.7 KB, 204 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:26   #82
Resting in Peace

I'm still confused as to how changing the name would invite more investors, etc. Would like to see the research papers which drew the council to this conclusion. If a business is looking for a new location, they surely would not search under the council's title anyway, would they ?

I always find that when people ask me where my work is based, they are more interested in the name Oswaldtwistle and how Oswald's twistle came about and ask lots of questions on the history of the town and current industries Nr. Accrington does prompt the comment more often than not of Accrington Stanley, but then there is that hint of laughter behind it .. due to the milk advert I think, and never do customers ask any more about the town.

I don't believe it will make one iota of difference to commercial enterprise, hope I am proved wrong.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I'm still confused as to how changing the name would invite more investors, etc. Would like to see the research papers which drew the council to this conclusion. If a business is looking for a new location, they surely would not search under the council's title anyway, would they ?

I always find that when people ask me where my work is based, they are more interested in the name Oswaldtwistle and how Oswald's twistle came about and ask lots of questions on the history of the town and current industries Nr. Accrington does prompt the comment more often than not of Accrington Stanley, but then there is that hint of laughter behind it .. due to the milk advert I think, and never do customers ask any more about the town.

I don't believe it will make one iota of difference to commercial enterprise, hope I am proved wrong.
Exactly Kate. I know you travel all over the UK as part of your job, and the fact that we are in Hyndburn doesn't even come up. No one either knows, or cares, and it certainly doesn't hinder commerce in any way.

I'm telling you. The only person who is embarrassed, and has to use the name Hyndburn as part of his job title, is Peter Britcliffe. He'll be at some bun fight somewhere for council leaders, and have to keep explaining where Hyndburn is. Tough. Are we all expected to pay for this little hinderance?

The rest of us never even have to say the name Hyndburn, so it isn't a problem.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:22   #84

i also dont see how a change in name will attract more investors to accrington. this remarketing is going to be a a waste of cash. they are also going to waste paper as the old forms will be binned, new sighn posts being erected etc. all this will use uneccessary energy. in this day and age of counting carbon footprints maybe we just cant afford to do this even though accrington and district sounds a bit nicer.
wasnt it peter britcliff showing off about composting teabags. how can he justify this then?
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24   #85

Quote:
. Are we all expected to pay for this little hinderance?

the problem is we always pay for his every whim
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
the problem is we always pay for his every whim

...and yet he keeps getting re-elected.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50   #87

i bet that Garinda is right on this one. Britcliffe just wants this replacement name cause he cant be bothered to explain where Hyndburn is and what it is made up of. he so used to spending our money carelessley( eg expensive website) that he places little value on it and this attitude is applied to this new idea.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:53   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
...and yet he keeps getting re-elected.
and that just about sums up the electorate around here.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01   #89
Beacon of light

This change is not a minute before time. We should NEVER have adopted the name 'Hyndburn' in the first place.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This change is not a minute before time. We should NEVER have adopted the name 'Hyndburn' in the first place.

I agree. It's nonsensical. But are you prepared to pay for the considerable cost to change it?

Your location is Clayton-le-Moors. I can't think of any Accy Web member who has given their location as Hyndburn.

We might have no great love for the name, but it is purely a political name for our borough. None of us use it, and I think it is scandalous to spend money on changing it, when ammenities and services are already so lacking in many parts of the borough.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..