Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2008, 21:21   #916

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

The borough of Hyndburn consists of Accrington (which was a borough - before the amalgamation), Altham (which is still a parish, but part of Hyndburn), Church, Clayton-le-Moors, Great Harwood, Oswaldtwistle and Rishton (which were all Urban Districts before the almalgamation).

(Altham was part of Burnley Rural District Council, before it became part of Hyndburn).

As for 'spot On' not allowing you to go to Gt Harwood, with a Hyndburn ticket - where you going from Ossy via Blackburn or via Accrington. If you were travelling via Blackburn, it might be because the bus actulay took you outside the borough.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2008, 21:30   #917
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks for the clarification claytonender. though know a few "Arroders" that deny it.
Old 26-02-2008, 21:38   #918
God Member

I know that Great Harwood is in Hyndburn now but didn't it used to be part of Ribble Valley?
Old 26-02-2008, 21:51   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I know that Great Harwood is in Hyndburn now but didn't it used to be part of Ribble Valley?
It was in Clitheroe parliamentary constituency prior to 1983, when it became part of the Hyndburn constituency. Altham was also in the Clitheroe parliamentary constituency. But prior to 1974, when the borough of Hyndburn was created it was an Urban District.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 21:10   #920
God Member

no mention of Hyndburn or 'Accrington and district' in this national press news story , just Clayton-le-Moors Lancashire

Hero who claimed to have saved pensioner from fire exposed as fantasist after real lifesavers come forward | the Daily Mail.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 21:28   #921
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
no mention of Hyndburn or 'Accrington and district' in this national press news story , just Clayton-le-Moors Lancashire

Hero who claimed to have saved pensioner from fire exposed as fantasist after real lifesavers come forward | the Daily Mail.
As well as apparently being in the national press, this story was the front page headline in the 'Accrington and Districts Observer'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:11   #922

They have to get rid of the £20,000 that's left in the coffers, or they will be capped next year by £20,000

That's why councils always start fixing pavements and painting railings, in Feb & Mar, before Year-end
Sprit-of-Altham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:13   #923
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprit-of-Altham View Post
They have to get rid of the £20,000 that's left in the coffers, or they will be capped next year by £20,000

That's why councils always start fixing pavements and painting railings, in Feb & Mar, before Year-end
yeh aint off the mark wi that.
Old 14-03-2008, 22:21   #924
Give, give, give member

Quote:

...and don't forget that same time period is just before the May elections.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:26   #925
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

That is exactly the way it is done in business. Save some money back in case of an emergency then get the nice to do's done with what is left at the end of the year. Oh and do your best to go over budget slightly so they don't think you had too much money to start off with, and reduce your budget for the following year.
Old 15-03-2008, 09:31   #926
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is exactly the way it is done in business. Save some money back in case of an emergency then get the nice to do's done with what is left at the end of the year. Oh and do your best to go over budget slightly so they don't think you had too much money to start off with, and reduce your budget for the following year.
I can remember working at BRI in the late sixties it was around March, just before year end, I was going round putting new door catches on every door whether they needed them or not. was working in some loos when a guy with a clip board came in with the plumbing contrator, this guy asked if he could borrow my lump hammer, he then put it right through 3 sink and walked out, I asked the plumber why? He just said that they had money left and had to spend it before year end or they would have the ammount left over deducted from next years budget, don't happen today

Last edited by jaysay; 15-03-2008 at 09:33. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 10:33   #927
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember working at BRI in the late sixties it was around March, just before year end, I was going round putting new door catches on every door whether they needed them or not. was working in some loos when a guy with a clip board came in with the plumbing contrator, this guy asked if he could borrow my lump hammer, he then put it right through 3 sink and walked out, I asked the plumber why? He just said that they had money left and had to spend it before year end or they would have the ammount left over deducted from next years budget, don't happen today
the guy was a dummy,any sensible chap would have removed the sinks,flogged em,then installed new uns.
Old 17-03-2008, 18:45   #928
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and don't forget that same time period is just before the May elections.
I was in a meeting last week where two Conservatives were saying how much was left in their budget, and that they had to spend it or give it back. Their suggestion was to find something to spend it on.

I wanted to say for the umpteenth time how wrong this attitude was but your dealing with numb skulls. Too tired and not looking for an argument, I just let it go. Felt bad afterwards but I told myself it was the electorate who put them there to make these decisions.

Last edited by g jones; 17-03-2008 at 18:48.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 18:49   #929
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I was in a meeting last week where two Conservatives were saying how much was left in their budget, and that they had to spend it or give it back. There suggestion was to find something to spend it on.

I wanted to say for the umpteenth time how wrong this attitude was but your dealing with numb skulls. Too tired and not looking for an argument, I just let it go. Felt bad afterwards but I told myself after the voters put them there.
Talkng of numb skulls, I think you are an expert you've been one all your life D***Head
Old 17-03-2008, 19:13   #930
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

looks like jaysays after the " Hissy Fit" award,watch yer back Rindy n Jambutty.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..