Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47   #976
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
A black day for the borough...they will live to regret this!
Would that be black as 'in credit', as opposed to 'in the red', because of the many, many thousands of pounds it would of cost us, for this quite frankly needless change.

Don't worry, Accrington, and all the other places are still here, just as they always have, and always will be.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59   #977
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A black day for the borough...they will live to regret this!
Who's they ? Bit of common sense at last is what I say as a voter..

Noticed Garinda that it states 'a two-week public consultation exercise to gauge public opinion on local devolution ended last week, but a final decision will not be taken until at least June' Says 'area councils sent letters to every home in the borough' ?? Did anybody get this ??

The only thing I noticed yesterday was an unmanned display in the Market Hall, showing all the different crests and how they came about. Think this may have been it. Unfortunate if you do not go in there very much, as myself. It did still state there is a proposal to change the name from Hyndburn though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17   #978
Super Moderator

Mark my words...in years to come, you lot will be on here saying "Wynonie, why didn't we listen to you?"
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42   #979
God Member

Quote:
Mark my words...in years to come, you lot will be on here saying "Wynonie, why didn't we listen to you?"
I did, Wynonie and I fully agree with you. I suppose as semi-exiles we have a different picture than the rest of 'em stuck back in Hyndburn, but it probably means it hurts even more as we watch the Borough inexorably decend into a third world dump. How sad it now is that most of the residents lack the imagination to make the one simple change that would improve matters. Still, if they're happy in muck, so be it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47   #980
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wynonie forgive them for they know not what they do
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52   #981

Looking at the turnout for last weeks elections I reckon most people don't give a monkey's, they're obviously not interested who runs the blinkin' town/district/area/borough or whatever else it can/could/would be called.

Me personally? I would prefer Accrington and District but I am perfectly happy to be living in Hyndburn. I'd still pay my taxes to the same place!

Oh and yes I voted last week!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00   #982
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Who's they ? Bit of common sense at last is what I say as a voter..

Noticed Garinda that it states 'a two-week public consultation exercise to gauge public opinion on local devolution ended last week, but a final decision will not be taken until at least June' Says 'area councils sent letters to every home in the borough' ?? Did anybody get this ??

The only thing I noticed yesterday was an unmanned display in the Market Hall, showing all the different crests and how they came about. Think this may have been it. Unfortunate if you do not go in there very much, as myself. It did still state there is a proposal to change the name from Hyndburn though.
I did receive a consultation form about the new proposed new town councils. Did you not get one? I wonder how many other people didn't?

As stated elsewhere, in theory I think it's a good idea, but really didn't have enough information as to what was involved, to vote one way or the other.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:08   #983
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Wynonie forgive them for they know not what they do
I'm resigned to being a prophet without honour in my own land, Jaysay!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:09   #984
Give, give, give member

Quote:

The stall on the market was just about changing the name of the borough, and not the proposed town councils.

As you say, unless you actually go into the Market Hall regularly, the feedback gathered from there wouldn't really reflect the views of the majority people of the borough. The whole concept was flawed.

Happily I do visit the market twice a week, and spent many a happy hour stuffing my suggestions in the box, as to what I thought of the benefits of the idea versus the costs.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:38   #985
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The stall on the market was just about changing the name of the borough, and not the proposed town councils.
Are you sure Garinda ? .. it just showed a short history of the borough, and explained what would be the different town councils and, like I said, images of each crest and a little information as how certain images on them came about ? Know they did a stall in the Market Hall previously for the autrocious suggestion of changing the Hyndburn name

Definintely didn't get the 'consultation form', was looking out for it as entered a thread previously re. this.. just thought they were behind with it.
Will ask a few neighbours down here to see if they received.

Did it come through the post or hand delivered can you remember ?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41   #986
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Are you sure Garinda ? .. it just showed a short history of the borough, and explained what would be the different town councils and, like I said, images of each crest and a little information as how certain images on them came about ? Know they did a stall in the Market Hall previously for the autrocious suggestion of changing the Hyndburn name

Definintely didn't get the 'consultation form', was looking out for it as entered a thread previously re. this.. just thought they were behind with it.
Will ask a few neighbours down here to see if they received.

Did it come through the post or hand delivered can you remember ?
I wouldn't swear on it, but I think it was hand delivered.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:47   #987
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm resigned to being a prophet without honour in my own land, Jaysay!
Just hate sore losers ..

We will never know Wynonie if changing the name to Accrington and District would have had a positive economical affect on the borough or not. Can only make judgement on the cost to us tax payers to change it initially, and I didn't think this was a speculate to accumulate situation at all to take the risk.

Money saved on this now, will hopefully go into something more postive.
Old 09-05-2008, 14:23   #988
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just hate sore losers ..
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
- 2 Timothy iv.7
Old 09-05-2008, 14:26   #989
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'm with wynonie n tealeaf on this, i have to accept it, cos thats the way its gone, am not bitter, just hope they all rot in hell.
Old 09-05-2008, 16:34   #990
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i'm with wynonie n tealeaf on this, i have to accept it, cos thats the way its gone, am not bitter, just hope they all rot in hell.
Does that include Graham (I'm the finest thing in Hyndburn since sliced bread) Jones cashy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..