Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30   #91
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
i also dont see how a change in name will attract more investors to accrington. this remarketing is going to be a a waste of cash. they are also going to waste paper as the old forms will be binned, new sighn posts being erected etc. all this will use uneccessary energy. in this day and age of counting carbon footprints maybe we just cant afford to do this even though accrington and district sounds a bit nicer.
wasnt it peter britcliff showing off about composting teabags. how can he justify this then?
Absolutely correct Spinner. Another case of the council and 'do as I say, not as I do.' - waste of time and money not to mention the environmental impact of all the waste.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2007, 12:55   #92
Resting in peace

Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering. The sooner they change it the better, I do not want to be buried in Hyndburn Cemetery.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:13   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering.
Oh, I very much doubt it Ian, the electorate would just be interested which way we were going to swing, not particularly where we were. Why should they ? Look at this link and see how many you could sort out geographically, I only looked at A/B and reckon didn't know 50%

Local councils : Directgov - Directories

Mentioned before I think that one of my most overplayed conversations I have with people is where Accy is... start off with between Blackburn and Burnley, then have to move to 15 miles east of Preston, and if this fails 30 miles north of Manchester... believe me, that is common.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:27   #94
Resting in peace

Quote:
katex. Oh, I very much doubt it Ian, the electorate would just be interested which way we were going to swing, not particularly where we were. Why should they ? Look at this link and see how many you could sort out geographically, I only looked at A/B and reckon didn't know 50%
Hi katex how's you doing? I like the address of Hyndburn Council in the bit where it said usefull information, 'Scaitcliffe House Accrington', now that say's it all. Your right though for all the publicity Accrington has had via Stanley etc, not many strangers countrywide know where it is geographically, regards Ian.
Old 02-06-2007, 13:38   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering.
It's only the name of the borough council they are planning to change. Hyndburn will still exist as the name of our constituency in Westminster, as Greg Pope has pointed out.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:45   #96
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's only the name of the borough council they are planning to change. Hyndburn will still exist as the name of our constituency in Westminster, as Greg Pope has pointed out.
Hi rindy yes I did read it, shame we will still be lumbered with the 'stink'.
Old 02-06-2007, 14:05   #97
Resting in Peace

Doin' just dandy Ian, and glad to read that things are ok with you too xx

Anyway, just to re-iterate other's thoughts as posted in this thread:-

Peter Britcliffe has formed this idea merely on the theory that everybody when asked where they come from, we all state HYNDBURN. I have never, ever done this, and bet nobody else in the borough does either. So that is complete nonsense.

I now always say Clayton-le-Moors, and when they ask where it is .. just answer North-East Lancs, which is enough for anybody to take in and remember.

Don't think in the future if asked I will be replying "Accrington and District"
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 15:38   #98
Resident Waffler

People may well have heard of Accrington, mainly as a joke through the old "Accrington Stanley - who are they?" but I always have to explain to people where it is located too so that's no different to people not knowing where Hyndburn is. I remember when we first became part of Hyndburn there was all the palaver repainting the logo all over the place. What's the betting we'll still be finding that stupid grey "hynd's head over a burn" on things in another 30 years time?

I live in Accrington which is part of Hyndburn. How difficult is that? How many more stupid excuses does this council need to waste more of our money?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 19:57   #99

Actually I DON'T want to live in Accrington and District as I live in Great Harwood, not a district of Accrington but part of Hyndburn for the last 33 years and before that was Great Harwood UDC.

I don't hear people from Streatham and Brixton saying "We don't live in Lambeth" or worrying that it isn't a geographical location just a political one.

Leave it, at least this way if people ask about Hyndburn we can say Ossie, Church, Clayton et al rather than folk assume it's Accrington. FFS if I wanted to live in Accrington I'd have moved there.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 21:34   #100
Senior Member+

100th post & lets be honest who really gives a sh** anymore.
Old 03-06-2007, 00:19   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
I don't hear people from Streatham and Brixton saying "We don't live in Lambeth"
Very good point. When I lived in SW16, I lived in Streatham, or Saint Reatham as some Yuppies tried to dub it, never Lambath. Besides I couldn't do the walk.

I did tend to say Wandworth more, when I moved six years later, because until I took up residence there, Tooting was just too unfashionable.

Old 03-06-2007, 00:21   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
100th post & lets be honest who really gives a sh** anymore.

(102nd post.)

Perhaps you might have more of a fun time on the Hyndburn Life site.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19   #103
God Member

As a name "Accrington and District" sounds a bit rural, don't you think? It comes across as a bit sleepy and mainly agricultural. It's the "and District" bit that does it. I think the "and District" bit should be discarded and that we should just go with "Accrington". The towns that make up the borough still retain their distinct identities no matter what the administrative name is changed to.
It is about time that the crest was changed, I am sick to death of that pathetic Hynd appearing all over the place, whoever designed that should be shot.

However, it must be said that when an administration resorts to tinkering of this kind it is usually because they have run out of ideas. A bit like Blair's government where ministers must be seen to be constantly bringing proposals forward, no matter how ludicrous and half-baked they are.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I like the address of Hyndburn Council in the bit where it said usefull information, 'Scaitcliffe House Accrington', now that say's it all.
It says nothing. What about the Ribble Valley? Is that on the Councils address? Here is a clue and a link for you.

Ribble Valley Borough Council,
Council Offices,
Church Walk,
CLITHEROE,
Lancashire.
BB7 2RA

Ribble Valley Borough Council Contact details

Or what about Pendle Borough Council

Pendle Borough Council, Market Street, Nelson, Lancashire BB9 7LG
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00   #105
Resting in peace

Quote:
Neil. It says nothing. What about the Ribble Valley? Is that on the Councils address? Here is a clue and a link for you.
Now that's what I call a mouthfull Neil, some address that, I always thought it was in Burnley them being Pendle as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..