Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Hyndburn Honey competition.
A harmless bit of fun. 24 51.06%
Degrades women. 3 6.38%
No opinion on the matter. 4 8.51%
Don't care, but where's the men? 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 21:00   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn's Honeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered, as a fella' like, if they did set up a Hyndburn Hunks, would you comment ? Probably no men would vote. Think may be most men would be afraid to admit they had been looking at their own sex in a physical way. ('cept Garinda of course .. sos hun x) Just curious.
I think you're a bit out of touch hun.

Go to any newsagents and you'll see that there is a glut of men's magazines, from the lads mags like Loaded and FHM, to the health and fitness mags, such as Men's Fitness and Men's Health, that are aimed primarily at straight men, and which are filled with the toned and chiselled bodies their readers apparently aspire to, and I suppose obviously like looking at, if only to wish they had the same six pack, instead of their beer induced paunch.

Incidentally, with the massive rise of these magazines over the last ten years, there has also been a worrying increase in young men who suffer from eating disorders, as well as other clinical disorders such as Body Morphic Disorder. It's reported that there was a 90% increase in male eating disorders between 2003/4 and 2005/6 in the U.K.

There is no definite evidence the two things linked, just as there is no evidence size zero fashion models leads to girls developing eating disorders, but in a media that is obsessed with the body beautiful, there is mounting concern that the two things are intrinsically connected.

Although I don't have a problem with the Hyndburn Honeys, I agree with Gayle about it being an easy way to fill newspaper space, but I suppose the same criticism could be levelled at every competition, and there are many, they hold throughout the year in the Observer.

As for myself, being a nosey git, I'll look at anyone, regardless of gender, but always return to my first love...the mirror.

Last edited by garinda; 05-04-2008 at 21:04.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2008, 21:01   #32
God Member

Quote:
Because Blazey, not every woman has achieved great things. Good that achievment of a good body can be celebrated .. as you so strongly have opinions on this.
Well obviously but not everybody has a good body either so that's a bit of a ridiculous argument against what I just said. At least if young girls so intelligent women in the paper they would have something to aspire to, but instead they're just seeing the local girls in bikinis.

I personally don't read the Observer any more, photographs were taking over the newspaper and there wasn't anything interesting to read any more. I don't quite understand why they don't have people writing articles for them about things not related specifically to Accrington and such, because it would be much more refreshing to read a newspaper with a bit of depth than seeing girls in their bikinis. Even the carnival queen poses in her bikini now, and when I was younger it was big posh dresses and wanting change in accrington, not about getting your kit off!

I just think the local newspaper in general has gone downhill, and this is not objecting to the girls in the newspaper, I think it's fine for a girl to do that if that is what she wants to do, but I just don't think its local newspaper material.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:04   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Go to any newsagents and you'll see that there is a glut of men's magazines, from the lads mags like Loaded and FHM, to the health and fitness mags, such as Men's Fitness and Men's Health, that are aimed primarily at straight men, and which are filled with the toned and chiselled bodies their readers apparently aspire to, and I suppose obviously like looking at, if only to wish they had the same six pack, instead of their beer induced paunch.

Incidentally, with the massive rise of these magazines over the last ten years, there has also been a worrying increase in young men who suffer from eating disorders, as well as other clinical disorders such as Body Morphic Disorder. It's reported that there was a 90% increase in male eating disorders between 2003/4 and 2005/6 in the U.K.

There is no definite evidence the two things linked, just as there is no evidence size zero fashion models leads to girls developing eating disorders, but in a media that is obsessed with the body beautiful, there is mounting concern that the two things are intrinsically connected.

Although I don't have a problem with the Hyndburn Honeys, I agree with Gayle about it being an easy way to fill newspaper space, but I suppose the same ctriticism could be levelled at every competition, and there are many, they hold throughout the year in the Observer.

As for myself, being a nosey git, I'll look at anyone, regardless of gender, but always return to my first love...the mirror.
Very true, the only men I know that read Mens fitness and the likes are straight men, very much in love with their girlfriends and theirselves I also don't know any girls that buy nuts/zoo etc to look at women!
Old 05-04-2008, 21:12   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I just don't think its local newspaper material.
Probably hit the nail on the head.

The Hyndburn Honeys competition was started after a local girl had appeared in a Playboy competition, and contacted the paper asking for people to vote for her.

Currently lots of the 'lads mags' have similar competitions, where people send in photographs, and people text in their choice of winner.

The editor probably thought it was a good way to use up space, when the bonny baby/specs wearer of the year/fluffy pet competitions weren't running.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:17   #35
God Member

Quote:
Probably hit the nail on the head.

The Hyndburn Honeys competition was started after a local girl had appeared in a Playboy competition, and contacted the paper asking for people to vote for her.

Currently lots of the 'lads mags' have similar competitions, where people send in photographs, and people text in their choice of winner.

The editor probably thought it was a good way to use up space, when the bonny baby/specs wearer of the year/fluffy pet competitions weren't running.
I must admit the specs wearer thing appealed to me because it did lead to something professional, at least it did if it's what I am thinking of and I apparently quite suit my glasses. At the end of the day though, it isn't really supported our local paper and I decided not to bother. I have stopped buying it completely, and maybe one day I will buy it again if they stop filling it with pictures and competitions. Even if you win, it's hardly something to brag about or put on the CV is it in fact I think I would be embarrassed lol.
Old 05-04-2008, 21:20   #36
God Member

The only input a newspaper should have from its readers is the letters page. Simple as that.

Say NO to polls/competitions/photo's of drunken nights out/parties etc etc
Old 05-04-2008, 21:22   #37
God Member

I understand what people are saying about it isn't really Family paper type material.

In general though, I don't see a problem if these girls are happy with it. Some of them are very bonny girls, and until they are unfortunate enough to lose their figures to babies..... I say good on them

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:26   #38
God Member

I love the sponsored links on my page for this topic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sponsored links.JPG (29.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-04-2008, 21:31   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:

D
Must admit Garinda, my own son does buy these magazines and goes to the gym a few times in the week, as well as riding his bike to work, so willing to do a sort of U-turn on this opinion.

As for models and size zero .. nowt to do with eating disorders .. as you know full well, have a life time of experience with this .. 'tis a mental disorder .. blah, blah, blah.

As for filling up space in the Observer .. thought this week, there was plenty to read apart from the Baby/Honey comps .. are they just not treated as supplements .. ?

"Mirror, mirror on the wall". Suppose nothing wrong with loving yourself at the end of the day....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:35   #40
God Member

To be honest, I think it makes a refreshing change that these women feel comfortable enough to show their bodies in their local newspaper.

We hear of so many people " Oh I'm on a diet, I hate the way I look, I'm too fat " etc .... I think it's nice that they are at ease with their bodies!! even if it is only a handful of women.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:39   #41
God Member

[quote=katex;557989]
"Mirror, mirror on the wall". Suppose nothing wrong with loving yourself at the end of the day....quote]

I picked up on this one as well.............Blazey has got her teeth well into this one....Nothing wrong in my book with a good looking woman.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:47   #42
God Member

Quote:
Must admit Garinda, my own son does buy these magazines and goes to the gym a few times in the week, as well as riding his bike to work, so willing to do a sort of U-turn on this opinion.

As for models and size zero .. nowt to do with eating disorders .. as you know full well, have a life time of experience with this .. 'tis a mental disorder .. blah, blah, blah.

As for filling up space in the Observer .. thought this week, there was plenty to read apart from the Baby/Honey comps .. are they just not treated as supplements .. ?

"Mirror, mirror on the wall". Suppose nothing wrong with loving yourself at the end of the day....
I am surprised you think that there is no link whatsoever between size zero/super models and eating disorders, especially when many models themselves admit to having eating disorders and there have even been deaths in the world of modeling due to pressure to be a certain weight/shape.

Whilst there can never be a direct link between modeling and eating disorders, it is WELL documented that many people with eating disorders these days are often relating themselves to people they see in the magasines, and Rhodes Farm has shown this in the number of TV programmes it has produced on children with eating disorders.

Whilst perception of ones self is obviously the key factor of an eating disorder, it cannot be said that the media has no influence on the way people feel they should look, the world of beauty and fashion is a huge industry, and that includes dieting and exercise. We're constantly reading that fat is bad!

As an example of this imagery, an advert was just on my telly for contacting 'fit girls' and showed lots of pretty girls in the GYM! Of course they weren't sweating and red in the face though

My main ideology is based on anti-feminism, yet I feel that many modern day feminists would agree that the girls should be free to do this... so I don't think there is really a divide here in regards to that.

I also don't think it's an eating disorder issue either, as I imagine there are few size zero girls who would enter such a competition, as bikinis usually involve curves in this context. Men don't tend to like the stick thin girls.

My main problem is still the fact that it isn't reading material in any sense, and therefore it shouldn't be in the newspaper. I just wanted to express my views on the topic of eating disorders and the media whilst it was brought up.

And my posts are looking more and more like graham jones' so I will shut up now
Old 05-04-2008, 21:49   #43
God Member

[quote=Royboy39;557995]
Quote:
"Mirror, mirror on the wall". Suppose nothing wrong with loving yourself at the end of the day....quote]

I picked up on this one as well.............Blazey has got her teeth well into this one....Nothing wrong in my book with a good looking woman.
A good looking woman wouldn't need to assure herself with a competition in the local paper.

And the most beautiful women wouldn't even shine through in a competition like this, because there is a bit more to beauty than prancing around in a bikini
Old 05-04-2008, 21:58   #44
God Member

Quote:
so I will shut up now
Not sure that was a case for the prosecution or defence but came across as a "Dont know vote"

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 21:59   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Whilst perception of ones self is obviously the key factor of an eating disorder,
Sorry, Blazey .. but this it not correct .. not enlightening you any further .. too painful...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..