Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58   #196
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Keep your eyes open for a Hyndburn Council van going round removing all telephone cables and masts tomorrow
You what Dave HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ANYBOY THERE, BLOODY PHONES GONE DEAD
Old 04-02-2011, 09:07   #197
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
My sentiments entirely. Red, blue or other, make your personal views known at the ballot box, it is the loudest voice we have to make our feelings of politicians known.

If you don't use the opportunity then don't moan too loudly about the state of the borough.
Totally agree on that front Ken, last general election was the first time in my life I didn't vote Tory, that was on a matter of principle, but I DID vote, or should I say registered a vote. Your also right in saying if you don't exercise your right to vote on polling day you forfeit any say in what happens afterwards. Its always surprised me that the turnout at local election very rarely hits the 50% mark, maybe in selected wards or if as last year they are on the same day as a general election, yet talking to people in the main they always say I always vote, well there are lots of people telling porkies
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14   #198
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You what Dave HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ANYBOY THERE, BLOODY PHONES GONE DEAD

The internet went down earlier bit I got a 100yrd piece of string attached to a bean tin and hung it out of the Market Hall toilet window
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47   #199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
the internet went down earlier bit i got a 100yrd piece of string attached to a bean tin and hung it out of the market hall toilet window :d

s o s

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49   #200
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
s o s

Or maybe S O D save our Dave
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38   #201
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Apparently this will save the council Ł10k per year.

I'm meeting with the new Town Centre manager next week to find out why the decision was made and hopefully finding some figures to support this.
Working it out pro-rata then the overall figure for 7 days opening would be Ł23.3333333 (recurring). Can sorta' understand this if they have heavy repair/maintenance charges at times, however, the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43   #202
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ?
The only saving they would make is electricity. As you say every other cost would still be the same, 1 day a week or 7 days a week. Even the bog roll saved would still be used in the market on the days they are closed
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49   #203
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Working it out pro-rata then the overall figure for 7 days opening would be £23.3333333 (recurring). Can sorta' understand this if they have heavy repair/maintenance charges at times, however, the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ?
I really can't see it saving that much money to be honest unless you lay someone off or reduce their hours but they're going to need someone to tend to the Market Hall toilets more often (and presumably mend the seats) so the cost will have to be offset somewhere.

Preston Town Centre has public toilets all over the place rippling out well into the suburbs. Even Lostock Hall has public facilities and it's easily quarter the size of Accrington Town Centre. As Gynn called it earlier in the thread, it's scatter bomb politics as part of a face-saving exercise to prove that the Market Hall is popular.

We're entering the endgame in an increasingly desperate electioneering campaign so expect to see some fairly wild claims of how well they're doing and generous cheques being handed out in the papers over the next two months.

Kath Pratt and Paul Barton have been getting some fairly heavy mileage out of The Regency shutters this week and Stan Horne has been knocking down a row of houses which doesn't even belong to the council.

Desperation, to be blunt.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 04-02-2011 at 10:53.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55   #204
God Member

Quote:
Kath Pratt and Paul Barton have been getting some fairly heavy mileage out of The Regency shutters this week and .

Wonder where that issue was brought to light first
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02   #205
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Wonder where that issue was brought to light first
Wasn't it this very forum?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/875209-post35.html

It must not have been me who sent the e-mail after all.

Still, like I keep saying we should use AccyWeb to get things done. The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much although is abreast of everything which is posted.

Time for a new thread. With elections coming up this is your chance to get all those jobs which have needed doing for years sorted out so they can go on election literature!

Rishton needs some public toilets.

(I'm serious about that, actually!)

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22   #206
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much
Perhaps he prefers Hyndburm Life, to keep abreast about what the community are concerned about.

Row flares over £591,000 spent on outdated website - Accrington Observer

What?

It's now closed down, and all the £591,000.00 of tax payers' money was therefore wasted?

Get out of here!

That would never happen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:17   #207
Beacon of light

PB asks 'what's the fuss'....well, Mr Britcliffe if y ou are reading this......the fuss is about having easy access to public toilets......unless of course you want to provide us all with a licence to pee in the street.

There have been toilets freely available on Peel St since the early sixties almost 50 years, yet this buffoon thinks it a good idea to close them on days that he deems 'not busy'....but bamboozles market hall traders to open on one of the days he deems 'not busy'.......is that some kind of disordered logic?

So...if it isn't busy enough to warrant the toilets open....why bother opening the market hall......?That must cost a fortune......Oh, silly me, he has the mugs....sorry I mean traders to pay rent for that.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-02-2011 at 18:20.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:27   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wasn't it this very forum?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/875209-post35.html

It must not have been me who sent the e-mail after all.

Still, like I keep saying we should use AccyWeb to get things done. The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much although is abreast of everything which is posted.

Rishton needs some public toilets.

(I'm serious about that, actually!)
If thats the case Ken, maybe I won't be on the Christmas card list next year
As for public bogs in sunny Rishton, what about a Porta-Loo in the Garden of Rishton Towers Ken
Old 04-02-2011, 18:29   #209
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
PB asks 'what's the fuss'....well, Mr Britcliffe if y ou are reading this......the fuss is about having easy access to public toilets......unless of course you want to provide us all with a licence to pee in the street.

There have been toilets freely available on Peel St since the early sixties almost 50 years, yet this buffoon thinks it a good idea to close them on days that he deems 'not busy'....but bamboozles market hall traders to open on one of the days he deems 'not busy'.......is that some kind of disordered logic?

So...if it isn't busy enough to warrant the toilets open....why bother opening the market hall......?That must cost a fortune......Oh, silly me, he has the mugs....sorry I mean traders to pay rent for that.
ermmm since when has logic been applied to favours ?
Old 04-02-2011, 19:04   #210
Beacon of light

Yes.....but there is a wink there......so you know and probably lots of others do too, but the logic is for the local press.....who wouldn't dare suggest anything so scandalous as a favour.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..