Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 08:33   #1
God Member

I don't BELIEVE IT!

This weeks Observer runs two stories that defy belief.

Page 2: "Everything up for grabs in huge council sell-off."

Page 9: "Expenses hike gets the green light"

Read them and Weep!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:59   #2

Re: I don't BELIEVE IT!

Just read the articles in the Observer. I just might put in a bid for the Town Hall.....£4-4s-4d or is that too much??

I'm sure that HBC is not an asset, and nobody would make a bid for them (the councillors that is), but maybe we could give them away as a free-prize with the sale of a real asset!

As for a rise in their allowances....the only rise they should get is from my boot up their a**es.

I see that one of them actuall abstained in the vote?? Why couldn't he vote against the resolution??

Hyndburn Barmy Council (HBC)!!!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:20   #3
God Member

There's more. On Page 23. "Backtrack on Resign Call"

"Regeneration Boss Nigel Rix has been backed by Councillor Tim O'Kane after the Hyndburn First chief was asked to stand down over Clayton le Moors' Elevate fiasco."

Surely the headline should read "Backscratch"
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11   #4

The names are vaguely familiar....Isn't Nigel Rix somehow related to BRIAN RIX the king of FARCE? They seem to have a similar propensity for that sort of theatre.

And O'Kane....is he an Irish decendent of Citizen Kane?? You remember....The power crazed one played in the film by Orson Welles!

Well they are obviously well connected!!! FARCE and DICTATOR....yep that's them!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 20:28   #5
Full Member+

The picture of Peter Britcliffe looking down his nose at the readers looks suspiciosly like Roy Barraclough during panto rehearsals. "I think I`m worth £16000 a year " For Gods sake don`t put it to the vote, Peter!!
Old 01-10-2004, 22:17   #6
Resident Waffler

Have they actually got a list of their assets for possible sale? It sounds like an utter shambles.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:14   #7
Senior Member+

Are these "Asset's" not the property of us the Tax payer ??

Who say's they have the right to sell what our tax paid for ??

Like Darby said HBC= Hyndburn Barmy Council
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29   #8
God Member

Sadly, they can do as they please with our assets, within the law, because they are our elected representatives. We have two options open to us, either protest now or vote them out at the next election. If enough of us cared to write to our councillors with the message that if they agreed to this sell-off they would forfeit our vote at the next election the message might get through.
Old 02-10-2004, 22:33   #9

There is something like this happened before asking has the goverment got the right to seel off things to privatisation to the public when it was the public money paid for it. Sell you back the things your money bought. If somebody had a lot of money could buy them and do some good for Accy it would be good.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 23:01   #10
Always EVIL within us

Yes, but most of those with money are only interested in making more money for themselves, that is how they got rich in the first place. I am sure that there are a lot of investors looking at the HBC's (OUR) assets to see where they can profit by buying!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:46   #11
God Member

I came across this yesterday and I thought that I would share it with you all.

(Ainsworth, R.and Crossley, R.S. Accrington a Century Ago. Writing of the Town Hall and The Market Hall )
"The Structures are a tribute to the public men who in their day had the wisdom and foresight to build, to build not only for their own generation but also for the future. Accrington owes a debt to these forefathers for these two fine buildings, at once an ornament and attraction to the centre of the town.
These buildings came into existence at a time when Accrington little dreamed of becoming an important municipal and parliamentary borough. All honour, then, to a generation now passed away of men whose public spirit are(sic) epitomised for all time in these two important structures, buildings which bear comparison with those of other Lancashire towns as architectural features, structures that any other borough might well be proud of. They built well those men of bygone days, leaving a legacy to the the town they loved whose motto they examplified(sic), 'Industry and Prudence Conquer'."

A little florid perhaps for modern sensibilities, but can you imagine anyone writing in such fulsome praise of the efforts of the current crop of worthies strutting and pampering themselves at our expense in Scaitcliffe House?

Could you imagine anyone, in years to come, writing in a similar fashion of the 'acheivements' of the current director of Hyndburn Farce, Nigel Rix? Or indeed of our unappreciated council leader, Peter Britcliffe?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 03-10-2004 at 08:50.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..