Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Gordon Booth
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Michael1954
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2015, 11:26   #1
Senior Member+

'I don't believe it!'

My wife dies last week and the next week I'm a millionaire(well almost)!

Life isn't fair, is it? Think what we could have done with all that money if she was alive and well. Now it's no use to me.

It's a letter from the Peoples Postcode Lottery, which is a genuine organisation. The letter looks good, lots of ID numbers,Audit numbers, addresses, phone number(0203).
The addresses don't match, the phone numbers don't match, they're acting through a UK company, UK Security Solution Agents(Government-licenced!!!) as the draw was held in Madrid??

It's marvellous as I've never bought a ticket. Not only that, I seem to have won three times at once! The PPCL maximum win is £400,000, I've won over twice that!

Of course there's a processing fee to be paid, can be paid straight into my bank account to save time, although they do offer a cheque.I'm sure if I rang they'd suggest a bank transfer.

It's a lovely letter from the President himself, called Baron Wheels, he's so pleased for me. I think that must be a mistype, perhaps it should be Barrow Wheels?

What should I do? The money's no use to me but I could throw a splendid party for us all, have a wake to remember, buy that Aston, world cruise, etc,.

What should I do, what should I do?What do you think?

I can't believe people fall for this but they obviously do or these thieves would't carry on doing it. UK Security Solution Agents is a known scam.
I suppose older people, especially those who haven't got a computer and can't check it out may just feel they have to ring up and then get caught up in a hard sell.

Worst sort of theft, but as the saying goes 'If it sounds too good to be true it probably is'.
Restless and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-07-2015 at 11:31.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2015, 12:13   #2
Beacon of light

Re: 'I don't believe it!'

Put it in file 13.(which is I am sure what you had in mind anyway).
Most of this stuff at Pilkington Pile sits in a bag with papers to go on our log burner......so when it comes time to feed this beast, there is plenty to go at.

I never think about what I would spend a lotto win on.....I do not do the lotto.....so no point in thinking about it.
If I ever came into a lot of money.....I would make sure it was spread around.
Money is like manure.....spread it out and it makes lovely things grow.....pile it up and it stinks!
DaveinGermany and westendlass like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:17   #3
Full Member+

I think it terrible the way these people try and dupe folk out of money. Some poor souls will fall for it . I agree with you Gordon if it seems too good to be true it probably is. My advice to anyone receiving this sort of letter is to bin it immediately and any email similar should be deleted at once.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:21   #4
Full Member+

Ha Ha Margaret you sounds just like Barbra Streisand in Hello Dolly. She said exactly the same about manure.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:55   #5

I've just received a text, saying there is over £4000 waiting for me to collect following my accident. Unfortunately, I must have banged my head when I had my accident because I can't remember a thing about it.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:56   #6
Beacon of light

Yes, but she got that quote from me....Me and Barbs are just like that(two fingers closely together)...she often comes for a mug of builders tea and a chocolate digestive.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 18:18   #7
Senior Member+

Gordon, place the whole package in a new envelope along with some other blank paper to increase the weight and then put the return address on it, no stamp, and pop it into the post box. If enough people do this to that type of scam it costs the company.
Old 14-07-2015, 18:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Gordon, place the whole package in a new envelope along with some other blank paper to increase the weight and then put the return address on it, no stamp, and pop it into the post box. If enough people do this to that type of scam it costs the company.
It only costs the company if they agree to receive the item and pay the postage. They aren't obliged to receive the item.

Last edited by Michael1954; 14-07-2015 at 18:39.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..