Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2011, 15:20   #1
Senior Member+

"I heard it on the grapevine"

so dont know if true ...

that JEAN SUTCLIFFE's posh dress shop on Abbey Street is closing and it may move to join up with MAUREEN COOKSON's in Whalley.

Sad if true, its been a part of Accrington for many years (and it would also mean ANOTHER empty shop!)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2011, 17:02   #2
God Member

Re: "I heard it on the grapevine"

I think a lot of people would be sorry to see such a high class shop go....given the many threads talking about cheap pound shops.
Last April I had my annual group of retired farmer's visiting our place from England, when I introduced myself as their guide and translator and said i was from Accrington, a lovely lady from Cheshire (a Farmer's wife) spoke up saying she came to Accrington epecially to change her wardrobe at least twice a year at Jean Sutcliffes!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:40   #3
God Member

It's on Abbey St, it won't be empty for long, I'm sure the ever expanding chain store will find a use for it

Also heard the Quick Return shop near the Jobcentre is closing next week.
Old 22-09-2011, 17:45   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
so dont know if true ...

that JEAN SUTCLIFFE's posh dress shop on Abbey Street is closing and it may move to join up with MAUREEN COOKSON's in Whalley.

Sad if true, its been a part of Accrington for many years (and it would also mean ANOTHER empty shop!)
Good god what will my ex wife do now
Old 22-09-2011, 19:02   #5

Have being told that she's retiring in December, and her daughter does not want to take the shop over. So she has no option but to close up.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:08   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Have being told that she's retiring in December, and her daughter does not want to take the shop over. So she has no option but to close up.
I would have though the business would have been worth selling, especially with such a well known name, the name alone would be worth thousands
Old 22-09-2011, 19:09   #7
Senior Member+

That would explain the closure rumours then.
Sad her daughter doesnt wish to continue, as it should "be in her blood". I believe Jean's maiden name was Cheetham, and her Dad has a plumbers on Nuttall St (guessing around the 1960's period)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:13   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I would have though the business would have been worth selling, especially with such a well known name, the name alone would be worth thousands
She is the business.

Would people travel from all over the northwest, if someone else bought the business, and traded under her name?

Doubtful, in my opinion, unless they were as good at buying as she is, and provided the same level of service.

It will be very sad for the town if it closes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:19   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
apparently her daughter lives down south, so presumably doesn't want to move back up here.
Old 22-09-2011, 19:36   #10

Have noticed she has a web site with an on-line shop, so am wondering if she will concentrate on that when she retires. .

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:41   #11

It's a far bigger buisness than a lot of people think, will find a photo
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:46   #12

"Gene Sutcliffe" 70 ? 72 Abbey Street, Accrington, Lancashire BB5 1EE | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 22-09-2011, 19:47   #13

Is it Gene or Jean ?
Old 22-09-2011, 20:07   #14
Super Moderator

It's Gene. Sad to see it go, one of the last reminders from an earlier era when Accrington was still a quality shopping centre. Unfortunately, I think Dave's prediction will prove accurate.
Old 22-09-2011, 20:10   #15
Full Member+

My wife tells me Gene Sutcliffe was a man who died a while back.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..