Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 23:36   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: I need a lookalike Mayor circa 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Another thing I have just picked up from one of Bob Dobson's books is that 5,000 scholars walked up Avenue Parade to receive a medal marking this occasion in 1909 with 15,000 people witnessing the occasion. Wouldn't it be great if we could generate such interest this time.
These were the schools that took part...

'Cambridge Street, St. Anne's, St. Mary Magdalene's, Hargreaves Street, St. Andrew's, St. Mary's Woodnook, Spring Hill, St. John's, Hyndburn Park, Benjamin Hargreaves, St. Peter's, St. Oswald's, St. John's Baxenden, Green Haworth and St. James.'

Peel Park and the Coppice - History of Peel Park and the Coppice

I wonder if anyone has a medal that's been passed down?

I've never seen one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2009, 23:41   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I've never seen one.

Nor me .. somebody must have one.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 23:47   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Nor me .. somebody must have one.
You'd think with 5,000 medals issued most would still be around, and would turn up at antique fairs, or online auctions, but I've never seen a thing.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:06   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You'd think with 5,000 medals issued most would still be around, and would turn up at antique fairs, or online auctions, but I've never seen a thing.
Please Sir, I got one!

I'm sure I put a piccy on site somewhere.

Oh no, I haven't, just dug it out it's to celebrate 1878 to 1928, sorry.

Last edited by Less; 02-08-2009 at 09:13.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47   #35
God Member

Quote:
These were the schools that took part...

'Cambridge Street, St. Anne's, St. Mary Magdalene's, Hargreaves Street, St. Andrew's, St. Mary's Woodnook, Spring Hill, St. John's, Hyndburn Park, Benjamin Hargreaves, St. Peter's, St. Oswald's, St. John's Baxenden, Green Haworth and St. James.'

Peel Park and the Coppice - History of Peel Park and the Coppice

I've never seen one.

I have invited all the schools in Accrington to take part in the procession in September - about 10 of them have got back to me. All the schools involved will be doing flags/banners, in the same way as we did them for the Oswaldtwistle War Memorial procession - it looked really good as they were walking along with them.

I haven't sent specific invites to every school in the borough but that doesn't mean they're not welcome, so if any other schools want to send representation and bring their own banner they can do.

Also, I'd like to hear from scout, brownie, girl guide, sea cadets etc - if they would like to send a representative group they are also welcome to do so.

I have seen a medal and we will be giving out some sort of medal/badge (we don't have a huge budget so it may just be a badge) to all the children who take part this time.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 16:30   #36
Give, give, give member

Gayle is it on the exact day the original procession took place?

Old 02-08-2009, 17:13   #37
God Member

Not quite - I think the original was on the 29th September 1909, but it was felt that the nearest Saturday would be the best time to hold it this time, so it's on the 26th.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 17:21   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Not quite - I think the original was on the 29th September 1909, but it was felt that the nearest Saturday would be the best time to hold it this time, so it's on the 26th.
Yes, 29th September is correct ... is was on a Wednesday in 1909 ... half day closing ... . Wonder if the school children got time off ?
Old 02-08-2009, 23:47   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, 29th September is correct ... is was on a Wednesday in 1909 ... half day closing ... . Wonder if the school children got time off ?
The scholars under twelve might.

Those over twelve would have been at work.

Though judging by the reported crowds, perhaps it was declared a public holiday.

Old 03-08-2009, 15:09   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The scholars under twelve might.

Those over twelve would have been at work.

Though judging by the reported crowds, perhaps it was declared a public holiday.
In the census for our borough 1901 there was recorded . . 43,122 souls; in 1911 .. 45,029 so take away a few, and the babies (no slings then), very old and infirm, the sick ... guess wasn't too bad a turn out really.

Yeh . 12 eh? Actually, one thing annoys me at the link you put up for the HBC Garinda ... they talk about Sir Robert Peel, Primeminster and the police force, etc., but this was the son of Robert Peel ... who was born at Peelfold, Oswaldtwistle and did more for our area with his textile input and reform for shorter working hours for children.

Also, Sir Robert Peel was responsible for forming the Conservative Party ... LOL. Wonder if Cllr. Britcliffe was responsible for this dedication ?
Old 03-08-2009, 18:57   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In the census for our borough 1901 there was recorded . . 43,122 souls; in 1911 .. 45,029 so take away a few, and the babies (no slings then), very old and infirm, the sick ... guess wasn't too bad a turn out really.

Yeh . 12 eh? Actually, one thing annoys me at the link you put up for the HBC Garinda ... they talk about Sir Robert Peel, Primeminster and the police force, etc., but this was the son of Robert Peel ... who was born at Peelfold, Oswaldtwistle and did more for our area with his textile input and reform for shorter working hours for children.

Also, Sir Robert Peel was responsible for forming the Conservative Party ... LOL. Wonder if Cllr. Britcliffe was responsible for this dedication ?
A Hyndburn Borough Council website with an inaccuracy?

Surely to goodness it can't be so!

If only they hadn't wasted the £591,000.00 given to them for a community website, they could have employed a couple of researchers for the next couple of decades, to make sure this didn't happen.

Costly website a ā€˜desperate failureā€™ - News - Accrington Observer

Sadly it appears we have people in charge who don't know their Parsley Peel, from old potato peel.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..