Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2009, 13:58   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: I'd rather this was in anything goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered who tagged this thread with a 5-Star rating ? Didn't deserve that in my opinion.
no idea, but would say its fine cos an explanation has been forthcoming from Len, which personally i think is good, cos it seems to have proved my suggestion right.
Old 15-02-2009, 14:06   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no idea, but would say its fine cos an explanation has been forthcoming from Len, which personally i think is good, cos it seems to have proved my suggestion right.
Was tagged before Len posted Cash. What suggestion ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 15:01   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was tagged before Len posted Cash. What suggestion ?
try reading post 4.
Old 15-02-2009, 19:00   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
You know, when some members help out at accyweb i.e become moderators etc they may well prefer to remain anonymous, for security, safety/ many reasons. Which I’m sure most of us can understand.
I know Roy would rather his moderating team use their real names, like I do “Len” but there must be hundreds of Len’s living in and around the Accrington area. Most of my friends here on accyweb know who I am and some have even been to my home, and I bet there are those whom would love to know who I am and where I live.

Just because any said member no longer helps out at accyweb doesn’t mean we/ you can start spilling the beans and breaking confidentiality (They disserve more respect than that). The only person, if needed to spill the beans aboiut them helping out at accyweb, should be the person him/ herself.

I agree with you about the use of real names and I know it is not easy being a mod sometimes. I think all mods on this side of the forum use real names. Its on the dark side where they hide behind assumed names and second identities so they can argue with people and then remove posts as it suits - allegedly of course

Can I please start the appeal to ban Less for a week for questioning the hard work you do?
Old 15-02-2009, 19:22   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree with you about the use of real names and I know it is not easy being a mod sometimes. I think all mods on this side of the forum use real names. Its on the dark side where they hide behind assumed names and second identities so they can argue with people and then remove posts as it suits - allegedly of course

Can I please start the appeal to ban Less for a week for questioning the hard work you do?
I have always used my real name on here and see no reason not to, though if others want to use a nom de plume it's their decision, either way it isn't that easy to hide an identity as we all know!
Old 27-02-2009, 11:28   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I would like to draw members attention to something that I and they may consider unwarranted censorship, as the title say's I would rather this was posted in anything goes but I really do consider it to be of high priority and very important information that should be shared with all of you.

To begin with as many of you know Roy the owner of accyweb is my son, unlike most of you I have many ways of getting in touch with him and letting him know if I consider something to be wrong,.

This is an advantage I don't use, I have always been an irritable member no matter who I am talking to.

The sad fact is I had two choices,

1/ get in touch with Roy and have this swept under the carpet.

or

2/ tell the other members.

I am choosing method number 2/.

I am sure Roy doesn't know this is going on, he hates the rules we already have and is dead set against most forms of censorship.

o.k. now to the problem.

Below is a link to a post I made,

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/679170-post12.html

If you would be so kind have a look at it, notice that it has been edited,

This line is what I am referring to:-
It is completely different to how it used to read,

my version was similar to this:-

Can I ask, why would such a modification be made?

Anyone of us can search through the archives and find references to this member being a moderator at one time so I am not lying it is a statement of fact.

This is a genuine and truthful statement and has been modified to suit who?

It doesn't suit Roy, such censorship on a regular basis would bring the site into disrepute, it surely doesn't suit the actual member I was referring to because it is a fact of History, he was a moderator!

It doesn't suit the rest of the members because if this is happening to me,(and it's very easy to miss the edited by, at the bottom of a thread), how many more is this moderator effecting?

To adjust my posts because I use foul language, to delete a post because it's an absolute lie or insulting to another member, that is why we have moderation.

But please explain why, mentioning that someone is an ex mod, surely people have the right to know who they are dealing with, I don't think, kipax/K-P has anything to be ashamed of, so why have we got someone on staff prepared to hide things from other members.

If anyone else has since I've mentioned this found a similar experience, please P.M. me, I will ensure that sensible examples get directly to where they will be dealt with.

I now understand totally how you feel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 19:25   #37
God Member

Tonight I have been censored by a mod for posting that that mod had breached forum rules
He did Pm me to say that my post has been removed because I had already reported it via the warning button

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:46   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I now understand totally how you feel.
Who's been cliping your wings Rindi
Old 01-03-2009, 11:15   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Who's been cliping your wings Rindi
Pigs don't have wings, unless you know differently, and have seen one fly past your window.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:15   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Pigs don't have wings, unless you know differently, and have seen one fly past your window.
Don't understand Rindi, just wondered if you've had posts deleted you didn't make it clear, I know I have once, but don't know the reason
Old 01-03-2009, 12:19   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't understand Rindi, just wondered if you've had posts deleted you didn't make it clear, I know I have once, but don't know the reason
I have, for thread wandering.

Though it wasn't until I'd kicked up a stink that other people had too, including the person who'd done the deleting, that someone was forced to remove all other thread wandering posts as well.

A small victory for fairness and equality, but a victory none the less.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Tonight I have been censored by a mod for posting that that mod had breached forum rules
He did Pm me to say that my post has been removed because I had already reported it via the warning button
And you mention it again Margaret. I would be careful, people have been banned before for questioning the actions of mods. They have a hard timeas it if, especially when they all have friends on here. That makes the job even harder, trying to treat people the same is not easy when you know many people personally.

Just accept that you have been told off and leave it at that. I have had stuff edited and removed before, so what. If you feel the need to question a mods action then you really should be doing it privately with the mads.

If I was a mod of this site I would have removed you post above and asked you privately to let the subject drop.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:34   #43
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Perhaps a mod/admin that started a thread, continues to be heavily involved with that thread, is not the person that should be deciding what should or should not be removed from that thread?

That way he/she can't be accused of being biased?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps a mod/admin that started a thread, continues to be heavily involved with that thread, is not the person that should be deciding what should or should not be removed from that thread?

That way he/she can't be accused of being biased?
That reasoning makes sense to me.

It would also help understand whether a pm, requesting cessation of something, was official or not.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:51   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That reasoning makes sense to me.

It would also help understand whether a pm, requesting cessation of something, was official or not.
Makes sense to me as well

Tags
moderhaters, tantrums

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..