Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2012, 09:37   #1
God Member

Ideal Home

What would be your Ideal Home?

After living at eleven different addresses I conclude that none of them were 'Ideal'.

Housing needs and expectations change as you age and your lifestyle changes.

If money was no object I wouldn't be jetting to the Bahamas - they get hurricanes

Greek Islands was a reasonably nice place to be until the EU started started strangling the life out of those poor souls - and they have earthquakes.

I have decided to dream of a single storey small stone cottage on Ossy moors - must have mains services, internet and not too far from the road so that grocery deliveries happen, and not within earshot of the windfarm.
...and no neighbours, no phone masts, please!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2012, 09:47   #2
God Member

Re: Ideal Home

A 4 bedroom house, out in the country with a few acres of land for livestock and growing my own veggies
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:52   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
A 4 bedroom house, out in the country with a few acres of land for livestock and growing my own veggies
That sounds good for a young un

Why so many bedrooms? - think of all that cleaning up, or will you have servants in them so you won't do any?

Old 23-02-2012, 10:00   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Be prepared for lots of hard work - been there, done that, got the t-shirt - and the bad back!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:08   #5
Resting in Peace

A 2 bed bungalow on Asdas car park,At the back and sound proofed.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:12   #6
God Member

Anywhere ... with a roof over my head, food on my table (ok, and beer in the fridge) ... and books and the internet ... and critters and the time and money to take care of them.

I think that "anywhere" maybe should be "anywhere in Canada"

Perhaps it's the old-fashioned Lancashire in me; make the best of what you have.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:14   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
A 2 bed bungalow on Asdas car park,At the back and sound proofed.
I can see that being a good place to be.

As the recession bites and food prices rise, you would have easy access to the past 'sell by' stuff in the skips.

Old 23-02-2012, 10:16   #8
God Member

Margaret, 4 bedrooms for all my nieces and nephews to stay over, i have 8 of them and enjoy looking after every one of them, they would have to be in my 'dream'
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:20   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Anywhere ... with a roof over my head, food on my table (ok, and beer in the fridge) ... and books and the internet ... and critters and the time and money to take care of them.

I think that "anywhere" maybe should be "anywhere in Canada"

Perhaps it's the old-fashioned Lancashire in me; make the best of what you have.
Wise words, Eric, we have been doing that for 35 years - nowhere is ever ideal but you learn to live with it.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:28   #10
Give, give, give member

Moving to London in the eighties, I never thought I'd be able to afford my own home.

Thanks to the property slump in the early nineties, and then my boss amazingly doubling my salary, because he was so pleased I'd got Princess Diana as a client, I was thriilled when I managed to buy a little garden flat in south London.

Oh I was so happy there. It'd be nice sharing a house, with a family friend, but it was so nice to have my own little nest.

Years later in Glasgow I bought a swanky, new, west end/city centre flat. Luxurious, modern, minimalist in design, but never really me.

Now I live in a traditional Lancashire terraced house, tucked away, on an unadopted street, over looking a nature reserve. I can sit in bed and watch the heron on it's little island, and being able to see nature, affected by the seasons, is a real treat.

This is where I'm meant to be, and I've never been happier.

Now I know that a stair lift can go on the very steep stairs, I shall live here until I'm carried out in a box.

It is my ideal home.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:05   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

My ideal home is anywhere wi a good partner, simple as.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:32   #12
Beacon of light

Mine too Cashy. I think it is as Eric says.....a Lancashire thing, of making the best of what you have. I'm glad to have a roof over my head, that is paid for.......neighbours who are not a pain in the bum, and easy access to all the local amenities...library, park school(no, not fore me...for the tinlids) transport links just a short walk away.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:37   #13
God Member

Used to really envy a friend who lived in a tiny terraced 2 up 2 down cottage on Edge End, a row high up above Gt. Harwood -lovely views, cosy place to live and great walks and the countryside at the doorstep...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:47   #14
Senior Member+

Scottish Highlands .Piece and Quiet
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:54   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
What would be your Ideal Home?

After living at eleven different addresses I conclude that none of them were 'Ideal'.

Housing needs and expectations change as you age and your lifestyle changes.
Have moved home 7 times in the last 25 years, always houses tied to my husband's job so you have to adapt and make best of what you get. Where we are now is spacious and is probably the best house we've ever had for location and comfort. Hardly know we have neighbours unless you need something, all mod cons but i still find it's not perfect. When it's just me and the cats am rattling around in it, when sons and husband are in I need space! Too much housework is a pain and it's dusty being on a farm and we get invaded by flies for 9 months of the year...and it's way too hot here in the summer. Would prefer somewhere like the little cottage mentioned in previous post, perhaps down the Ribble Valley or in Lake District...and a summer house on Lake Garda!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..