Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2018, 14:28   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: If you could Teleport to anywhere....

Reckon 1963 is no good Joe, yeh probably wouldn't know anyone on yon.
Big Joe likes this.
Old 01-05-2018, 15:04   #47
Beacon of light

Thank you BJ.
I like your travels, though I am not sure about going ahead and winning the lottery.
Something about that makes me uneasy...do you think that all that money would make you happier than you are now?(you have already said that your wife takes your breath away...so in the past you got something right...something that many folk fail to do).

I have never done that 'renewal of vows' thing...mainly because I did not make any vows.
In our 51and a bit years we have been married he has asked me to do the church thing...the big frothy wedding...each time I have declined, because although it was a register office 'do' it was just as serious as if it had taken place in the loftiest cathedral.

I like this thread...perhaps I should not say that because I started it, but it is a thread that is interesting and uplifting and has made lots of people think about the things that matter to them...no bad thing eh?
KiTChener and Gremlin like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:54   #48

The lottery thing was actually another joke. I don't do the lottery as Ive never been lucky in that respect. Although I do believe you make your own luck in life I also believe that some people are born lucky and others have their luck fall into to certain streams or patterns. In my particular case luck does not fall into winning raffles, lotteries or anything like that. In relation to money it doesn't buy you love and doesn't necessarily make you happy but if managed correctly it can buy you choice and peace of mind. As my wife often says (profound bit coming up) Money is the slave of a wise man and the king of a fool.
As for renewal of vows I think you missed out. Nothing wrong with a registry office wedding at all Margaret and I accept that a big frothy wedding as you describe isn't everyones cup of tea. We had a renewal of vows to celebrate our relationship with our family, children grandchildren, friends etc. It was a really great day.
Old 02-05-2018, 17:56   #49

Cash the thing about JFKs death that affected me personally was that Fireball XL5 was cancelled!!! while they displayed a notice saying JFK had been killed.
cashman likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 18:40   #50
Beacon of light

BJ...it sounds like you have got yourself a gem of a wife.
I am glad that you felt that the renewal of vows was good...but for me it is not necessary.
And if you want to have a celebration that draws family and friends together then, go ahead and have yourself a party.
I am not(nor ever have been) a party person.
My wedding was low key(does a wedding feast of Lancashire cheese butties, battenburg cake and a left over bottle of sparkling wine convey anything?)
As for luck...yes, I am with you on that one...you make your own luck.
I don't do lottery, and I do not want a lot of money...all I want is to be able to make ends meet and perhaps tie a bow.

I think the riches we have are not those you put into the TSB....our riches are health, friends, family, a roof over your head, an occupation that makes you happy....and if you have all those things then you are truly blessed.
Though frequently we strive for the greener grass in the next field. (It is only greener because it had a liberal top dressing of manure).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 18:56   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I never been a party person either, never liked a fuss, its whatever suits individuals in my book.i do the lottery though but perhaps once every Preston Guild.though i do the Postal Lottery every week, cos its summat i aint got to mess about with,plus it aint fantastic payouts either,many i know want millions, but dont really give a stuff about that much.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:40   #52

Nice idea Margaret yes a time machine.

Would be nice to go back to our wedding day when all our parents were there together with us sadly no more and much missed. Oh the passing years....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..