Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2008, 13:10   #1
Resting in Peace

I'll have two thirds of a pint please landlord

Pubs could soon be offering two thirds of a pint instead of just pints and halves. The National Weights and Measures Laboratory (NWML) is concerning new food and drink measures to give people more choice. This is being considered because of the amount of stronger alcoholic drinks no on the market. Doesn't quite seem the same does it "I'll have two thirds please Landlord
Old 24-10-2008, 13:17   #2

Re: I'll have two thirds of a pint please landlord

Can't see that happening. In a noisy bar two thirds could sound like two anything!! People would end up drinking more!!

Plus you'd have to remodel the storage for glasses and the till where I work is itemised and just hasn't got enough keys to add another selection to it.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 13:21   #3
God Member

I was made aware, after attending a recent meet, that 2 pints would put me slightly over the driving limit.
So 3 halves, or 1 pint and 1 half, is now the rule.
Two 2/3rds = 3 halves
Which is the cheapest way to buy beer?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 13:23   #4
God Member

they do that in Belgium, you can get half a pint, just over half a pint and then a pint, always good to remember when you've had a few stella's
Old 24-10-2008, 13:24   #5
Senior Member+

Dont see the point myself, but then again i dont see the point in halves, lol you have to keep going back to the bar! I drink pints and i find that cheaper aswell.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 13:26   #6

Pulling the leg comes to mind Seriously where did you get this information. Been on the NWML site and can't find any information.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 13:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Dont see the point myself, but then again i dont see the point in halves, lol you have to keep going back to the bar! I drink pints and i find that cheaper aswell.
Same here Lolly
Old 24-10-2008, 13:39   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
Pulling the leg comes to mind Seriously where did you get this information. Been on the NWML site and can't find any information.
Ceefax page 115 today MN sorry I should have said where I'd gt the info
Old 24-10-2008, 13:56   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I was made aware, after attending a recent meet, that 2 pints would put me slightly over the driving limit.
Slightly does not not make a difference - you would still have been banned and labelled a drink driver
Old 24-10-2008, 14:01   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Have a read of this Drink-Driving Guidelines

Here is a bit of it

Quote:
To ensure you run no risk of being "over the limit":

Immediately before driving:
- men should consume no more than 4 units, women no more than 3

When drinking the night before driving:
- men should consume no more than 10 units, women no more than 7. (This assumes that no alcohol is consumed after 11.30 pm, and that driving does not take place before 8 am the following morning)

This applies to people of average weight (around 12-13 st for men, 9-10 st for women). If you are particularly small, these figures should be reduced accordingly. But if you are particularly big, it is no guarantee that they can be increased. The figures are lower for women not only because they are usually lighter than men, but also because their metabolism is different.

If you drink more than this, it will not guarantee that you will exceed 80 mg, as the rate of absorption of alcohol is so unpredictable. But even with one unit more you will be running a tangible risk. The above figures are the maximum you can consume without any significant risk of exceeding the legal limit, and also without resulting in any significant increase in accident risk.

It is also important to remember that a half pint of beer or a glass of wine can contain considerably more than one unit. Given that most pubs serve draught beer 5 to 10% under measure, it is fairly safe to assume a half of any beer up to around 4% represents one unit. But, any higher than that, and you have to make adjustments. A pint of 5% beer is almost three units, and even one and a half pints may not quite be safe.

In 1967, very little beer was available above 4% ABV. Now, it is widespread, and in some pubs it can be be difficult to find beer below that strength. In particular, the 33 cl bottles of "designer lagers" that are so popular are usually between 5% and 5.5% ABV, meaning that each contains almost two units, and any more than two could take a driver above 80 mg.

The risks with wine are even greater. Only the very lightest German wines have an ABV as low as 8%, and many pubs and restaurants serve wine in 175 ml or even 225 ml glasses, rather than 125 ml. A 175 ml glass of wine of 12% ABV, which is fairly typical, represents two units. Two such glasses could put a smallish woman over the limit, whereas two pints of bitter would not do so for an average-sized man. An increasing number of pubs are now also serving spirits in 35 mg measures, containing 1.4 units, rather than 25 mg which is exactly one unit.
Old 24-10-2008, 14:05   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: I'll have two thirds of a pint please landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pubs could soon be offering two thirds of a pint instead of just pints and halves. The National Weights and Measures Laboratory (NWML) is concerning new food and drink measures to give people more choice. This is being considered because of the amount of stronger alcoholic drinks no on the market. Doesn't quite seem the same does it "I'll have two thirds please Landlord
This is just a ploy to try and condition people into accepting metric weights and measures for liquids.

1¾ pints is approximately equal to 1 litre.

Therefore half a litre is about the equivalent to 7/8 of a pint.

7/8 of a pint is obviously less than a pint and just as obviously more than half a pint so it fits in with The National Weights and Measures Laboratory’s thinking.

½ a litre please landlord with a shorter measure of ¼ litre.
Old 24-10-2008, 14:10   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: I'll have two thirds of a pint please landlord

Quote:
So 3 halves, or 1 pint and 1 half, is now the rule.
Two 2/3rds = 3 halves
Which is the cheapest way to buy beer?
Weren’t you against a total ban on drink driving?

I think that your maths is slightly awry.

Two 2/3 = 4/3 or one and one third.
3 halves = one and a half.

Finally, to answer your question. Get someone else to buy.
Old 24-10-2008, 14:10   #13
God Member

Thanks Neil - meets are the only times I ever visit pubs - will have to drink tonic water at the next one

Old 24-10-2008, 14:20   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Thanks Neil - meets are the only times I ever visit pubs - will have to drink tonic water at the next one
Do what most of us do - use a taxi.

Share with others local to yourself to save money like several of us do. Don't expect a good night kiss when I drop you off though, I save those for Gary
Old 24-10-2008, 14:27   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do what most of us do - use a taxi.

Share with others local to yourself to save money like several of us do. Don't expect a good night kiss when I drop you off though, I save those for Gary
Taxis are expensive and my car needs to run occasionally to charge the battery. A car gets me to doc, dentist, chiropodist, hairdresser and I live at the top of a hill. Car costs me £6.57 a week (including annual service but excluding annual tank fill )
The smallest taxi fare is £3 one way = 18 free range eggs

PS no kissing in the flu season

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..