Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 4 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2020, 10:02   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'm A Bit Vague About Vogue

Please pardon my ignorance, but why after 140 years of being tucked away on the newsagents shelf amongst all the other women's fashion magazines has placing pictures of black people photographed by a black photographer become a great leap forward for the black movement?

It hasn't been a publication I have considered for it's political comments and if as I've always assumed it is a magazine about fashion tips, I haven't heard of Compo from Last of the summer wine being free with tips for the struggling male on their pages therefore I haven't flicked through it's glossy pages so I could be wrong.

However rather than being a success for the black movement it seems more like being a patronising attempt by the magazine to continue fitting in with whatever trend will help it sell to the general public.

I think I will remain blissfully ignorant and refrain from any temptation to buy a copy just to keep on the right side of our badly done to blacks.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42   #2

Re: I'm A Bit Vague About Vogue

You and me both Less.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:23   #3
Beacon of light

Less, it is called 'jumping on the Woke bandwagon'.
Yes it is patronising...patronising and fake.
This footballer is in a very privileged position...he earns a lot of money(10.4 Million quid) and yes, he may have something of a social conscience, but Charity is like a bowel movement...best done quietly and in private with no-one aware of what is being done.
When it is blazoned in the papers and glossy mags such as this it smacks of 'virtue signalling' and is clearly not being done for any altruistic reason.

Vogue is not aimed at us...we are not ehir market.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-08-2020 at 11:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Who is it's chosen Market? After all, it is only £3.99 per month so is within the common man's price range, surely you're not suggesting that they are aiming for those mythical 'privileged whites' we have heard so much about?

It's the sort of article that would go down well on 'ab fab'.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05   #5
Beacon of light

I guess it is aimed at pretentious folk...those who want to appear perhaps better in social standing.

Yes it is in the price range of many people...but I do not know one single person who would choose to buy this(maybe I should look at elevating my social circle)...they might idly pick it up in the dentists waiting room. But my reckoning is that they would put it down in favour of Take A Break...or a motoring magazine.......I don't really like motoring magazines, but I would choose on of them over this pretentious glossy mag.

What I can tell you Less is...it makes very poor lavvy paper...far too shiny and skiddy.
Please don't ask me how I know this...I just do!

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-08-2020 at 12:09.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:40   #6
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1242844]I guess it is aimed at pretentious folk...those who want to appear perhaps better in social standing.

...I don't really like motoring magazines, but I would choose on of them over this pretentious glossy mag.

neither d.o i. motoring mags cover your first sentence. aimed at new car buyers or classic car owners who only purchase unreliable british two seater sports cars or a rusty jaguar. owners of more mundane, in their eyes, only have their owners clubs for information.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43   #7
God Member

Quote:

her in the kitchen always used to buy it till a few years ago. mind you she,s a londoner so thad be the answer.
Old 05-08-2020, 17:23   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
placing pictures of black people photographed by a black photographer become a great leap forward for the black movement?

Don't you know anything Darling? In the world of fash Sweetie, it's a statement thing, like "black is the new Black!" ...... or some such throw away little offcut.

Please note the above use of "Fash", is in no way connected to those other "Fashes" who also funnily enough run round causing bother all dressed in black, there black is far more inferior & has no style what so ever!

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 05-08-2020 at 17:28.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 09:33   #9

You have the choice NOT to buy it, you have the choice to buy it and use it as toilet paper - you do NOT have the choice to avoid the BBC thieving from you every year even if you never watch it's insidious bile and propaganda.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 07:59   #10
God Member

11 hours of news and cuttant affairs. 11 hours of repeats all in 24 hours of broadcasting. if you are sensible to miss the news stuff then you have actually paid anyway for everything but the 2 hours of new programmes.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 14-08-2020, 14:03   #11
Beacon of light

I watch very little TV these days.
I used to watch the news but I cannot stomach any of the news channels right now(well not without me resorting to under the breath muttering)
I desperately want to hurl something hard and heavy at the screen most of the time.
Old 15-08-2020, 07:44   #12
God Member

Quote:
I desperately want to hurl something hard and heavy at the screen most of the time.
its going to happen at our house shortly. those mentions of social distance and government guidelines on any reported matter no matter what gets my goat. its so obvious that these issues are being used in every situation without the constant message. its a V signal at the screen at the moment but cannot see it just staying there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..