Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2009, 15:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: I'm sick of power cuts

good result that, shame yer knocking it on the head greg.
Old 14-09-2009, 15:45   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
I've just learnt from United Utilities that they are going to lay a new mains cable to feed Curlew and Merlin Closes which should resolve the problem. They have only just taken the decision to do this and so haven't fixed a date for the work to commence yet, although I am assured it will be in this financial year. A copy of the letter from the Chief Executive of UU is in the post to you Jaysay.
Thanks Greg that's great news for all the residents of our estate. With all the problems we have had over the last twelve months with these power cuts its refreshing to know that the problem will at last be sorted out
Old 14-09-2009, 21:28   #18
God Member

I trust that United Utilities will also get their act togeather with BT, so if there is another power cut it does not also take out the phone lines for half of Curlew/Merlin; last time this happened - about six months ago - I had to kick some serious BT arse on a late friday night to get the land lines back in order after six days down time.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:36   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I trust that United Utilities will also get their act togeather with BT, so if there is another power cut it does not also take out the phone lines for half of Curlew/Merlin; last time this happened - about six months ago - I had to kick some serious BT arse on a late friday night to get the land lines back in order after six days down time.
We've had about six power cuts since last November Tealeaf, but its never affected my phone after the restoration of power, my phones are active as soon as the power returns, I also have an old type phone which I can use even when the power is off
Old 04-03-2010, 10:11   #20
Resting in Peace

Thought I'd just revive this thread again, United Utilities replace the power cable yesterday, they have been working on the estate for a few weeks and yesterday afternoon they told us the power would be off for 30 minutes whilst they connected the new cable. I hope that is now the last of the power cut problems, once again thanks for your help Greg, with this matter, much appreciated
Old 04-03-2010, 12:53   #21
Beacon of light

Jaysay, My Mum has been plagued with power cuts for something in the region of 15 months......her power goes off for anything up to 14 hours......and it went off during the very cold spell, meaning that she had no heating......and it when it did come back on her timing clock for the central heating was all to cock, and the heating was coming on in the middle of the night.......I had spoken with United Utilities and got precisely nowhere.

Ma is in her 80's has arthritis, very poor mobility and is a cancer survivor......I rang them again recently because the power went off yet again twice in one day for 4 hours and then two hours after dark(this is very dangerous for Ma as she can't see very well in low light, and I was scared that she might fall down the stairs and wake up dead)......anyway, this time I spoke with a very helpful lady and she has made a case file for Ma, and given me a direct line number so that I can speak to someone who knows all about the situation.

I am hoping that things get better very soon and that I won't have to resort to calling them again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 14:52   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jaysay, My Mum has been plagued with power cuts for something in the region of 15 months......her power goes off for anything up to 14 hours......and it went off during the very cold spell, meaning that she had no heating......and it when it did come back on her timing clock for the central heating was all to cock, and the heating was coming on in the middle of the night.......I had spoken with United Utilities and got precisely nowhere.

Ma is in her 80's has arthritis, very poor mobility and is a cancer survivor......I rang them again recently because the power went off yet again twice in one day for 4 hours and then two hours after dark(this is very dangerous for Ma as she can't see very well in low light, and I was scared that she might fall down the stairs and wake up dead)......anyway, this time I spoke with a very helpful lady and she has made a case file for Ma, and given me a direct line number so that I can speak to someone who knows all about the situation.

I am hoping that things get better very soon and that I won't have to resort to calling them again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Its quite obvious there's a serious problem there Margaret, it was much the same here, but hopefully this will be the end of the problem, surprising just what happens when an MP gets involved, but why has it to be this way, if there is a problem United Utilities have a duty of care, or they should have, seems not in your Mums case
Old 04-03-2010, 18:30   #23
God Member

I do hope that the new cabling that is laid down is somewhat better than the trenchwork that was cut out to take the stuff; I was up there last saturday morning and the place was a Health and Safety Disaster zone, There was unprotected trenchwork everwhere around Curlew/Merlin - barriers lying on their side and nowt put across the gaps. Anyone could have fallen in the holes and broken their leg and even worse.

Now, I don't know why that trenchwork was unprotected - yobs pulling the barriers down, wind blowing them down or whatever - but I do know that any reasonable contractor would have ensured everything was in order. I saw no workmen on site - maybe they don't work on a saturday - so the only conclusion I can reach is that this has been a cowboy job and as such, Jaysay, I would have very little confidence in the rest of the work being up to scratch. Don't be surprised to get more cuts in the future.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I do hope that the new cabling that is laid down is somewhat better than the trench work that was cut out to take the stuff; I was up there last saturday morning and the place was a Health and Safety Disaster zone, There was unprotected trench work everywhere around Curlew/Merlin - barriers lying on their side and nowt put across the gaps. Anyone could have fallen in the holes and broken their leg and even worse.

Now, I don't know why that trenchwork was unprotected - yobs pulling the barriers down, wind blowing them down or whatever - but I do know that any reasonable contractor would have ensured everything was in order. I saw no workmen on site - maybe they don't work on a saturday - so the only conclusion I can reach is that this has been a cowboy job and as such, Jaysay, I would have very little confidence in the rest of the work being up to scratch. Don't be surprised to get more cuts in the future.
THE usual Jobes comforter Tealeaf, given the weather we've had and the vandals who roam around here I think they've done a good job
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
given the weather we've had and the vandals who roam around here
I think you need to get out more, we don't have packs of vandals roaming around looking for warning signs to beat up. We don't really have a big vandal issue in town that I am aware of. We get some damage in the park but it is infrequent.

You are making Ossy sound like Church
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you need to get out more, we don't have packs of vandals roaming around looking for warning signs to beat up. We don't really have a big vandal issue in town that I am aware of. We get some damage in the park but it is infrequent.

You are making Ossy sound like Church
Well I wonder why these fences were thrown in the trenches Nealy every night, as for getting out more the bloody oxygen tube ain't long enough
Old 05-03-2010, 19:49   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I wonder why these fences were thrown in the trenches Nealy every night, as for getting out more the bloody oxygen tube ain't long enough
Excuse me but it is spelt Neily
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Excuse me but it is spelt Neily
Me and my bloody keyboard and you'll always be Neil not the Neily man
Old 06-03-2010, 16:25   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Its not the keyboard at fault, it the fat sausage fingers stabbing at it

When is your birthday? I will get you one of these

Old 06-03-2010, 18:45   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Its not the keyboard at fault, it the fat sausage fingers stabbing at it

When is your birthday? I will get you one of these

If there's two things in life I hate its bad beer and cheeky kids

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..