Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2012, 12:09   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I can't believe that someone in this line of work has spoken about the finances of the people in their care, to anyone outside of their work environment - sorry but that is most unprofessional.
What can you believe then?

No actual person was named, it was what we sensible folk call a generalisation, just as a Lawyer or a Doctor can talk about their experiences or knowledge they have gained within their professions without actually having to betray any confidences.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2012, 12:17   #32
God Member

Re: I'm sick to death with Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I suppose the Italians don't have a branch of the Anti Vivsection League
NAVS : Home

That sort of donation would bring you trouble here.
The following link explains their research and work -you can read it in English. They do some of our embryo work on the farm (the cow in the photo is one of ours). Cesare is a pioneering clonation scientist -he cloned the first horse, Prometea, to give birth to a son, Pegasus.

His work for organ donation is with pigs -I have no problem with eating meat and if a pig's liver could help to prolong or save a person's life that's OK by me. Their work is centered on the culturing and growth of the organs in the laboratory thus avoiding un-necessary animal death.

http://www.avantea.it/

They are a registered charity and have never had problems with Anti-vivisectionists, as far as I know, as they don't kill animals in their research.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 24-01-2012 at 12:17. Reason: Adding link!
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:25   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can remember coming home with little books of pictures of children....babies, smiling girls. cheeky faced boys. We were told to sell these pictures for a penny or twopence and bring the money into school and it would go towards feeding these orphans and disadvantaged children.

Despite the fact that we were poor, we always cent some money back with the stubs of the books.
Ma used to give sixpence a week to the Catholic Church too, for their missionary work.

She used to say that although we had very little, there were lots of children who had even less.
We used to have exactly the same thing Margaret at junior school -it was called St. Joseph's penny.

These days I think that charity really is better kept close to home - where maybe you can see some of the effects in your local community and for local people. Too often all this money given for overseas and to large organisations just seems to disappear without any trace of improvement where it was meant to go.

There's often a feeling that it's just another kind of business.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 12:26   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can remember coming home with little books of pictures of children....babies, smiling girls. cheeky faced boys. We were told to sell these pictures for a penny or twopence and bring the money into school and it would go towards feeding these orphans and disadvantaged children.

Despite the fact that we were poor, we always cent some money back with the stubs of the books.
Ma used to give sixpence a week to the Catholic Church too, for their missionary work.

She used to say that although we had very little, there were lots of children who had even less.
We used to have exactly the same thing Margaret at junior school -it was called St. Joseph's penny.

These days I think that charity really is better kept close to home - where maybe you can see some of the effects in your local community and for local people. Too often all this money given for overseas and to large organisations just seems to disappear without any trace of improvement where it was meant to go.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 16:11   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats St Josephs tuppence Di, yeh done it twice.
Old 24-01-2012, 16:36   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Our little books, in which you bought a kiddy, was called Sunny Smiles.

They never gave you enough darkies. They were good sellers. White kids with lazy eyes were harder to shift.

We also had the Junior Missionary Association. You collected donations from people weekly, and put the money in a church shaped box, which was opened once a year, and used to teach the little piccaninnies about Jesus, and to be good Methodists.

Praise the Lord.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:42   #37
God Member

Quote:

My dad - always maintained that St. Joseph's Penny was really for the Nun's gin money

Have always wondered whether the missions really do as much good as they make out - presumably education in poorer countries is a good thing but I don't like the fact that it is closely tied to religious indoctrination.

I always think of the film "The Mission" which tells such a terrible story.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 16:46   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Our little books, in which you bought a kiddy, was called Sunny Smiles.

They never gave you enough darkies. They were good sellers. White kids with lazy eyes were harder to shift.
Trust you to remember that!

I wonder what people actually did with them once they'd bought them?

Stick them in scrap book and build up a rainbow family like Brangelina perhaps

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 16:59   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
My dad - always maintained that St. Joseph's Penny was really for the Nun's gin money

Have always wondered whether the missions really do as much good as they make out - presumably education in poorer countries is a good thing but I don't like the fact that it is closely tied to religious indoctrination.

I always think of the film "The Mission" which tells such a terrible story.
New Sunday night period drama, just started.

BBC One - Call the Midwife, Episode 1

Based on a real midewife's books.

The nuns there are nice, on the whole, and did a good job for those in need.

Old 24-01-2012, 17:06   #40
God Member

Quote:

Have you seen the film "Magdalene" based on a true story in Ireland -scarey story! Different times, different mentalities.

New drama looks interesting, will have to wait for DVD, as usual!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 17:12   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Have you seen the film "Magdalene" based on a true story in Ireland -scarey story! Different times, different mentalities.

New drama looks interesting, will have to wait for DVD, as usual!
Yes, I actually watched it again, the other week.

Heartbreaking.

Mind you, that just didn't happen in Catholic Ireland.

Some poor girls spent their lives in local institutions, just because they became pregnant out of wedlock, and were locked away for life, labelled as sexual degenerates.

Old 24-01-2012, 18:51   #42

Quote:
The following link explains their research and work -you can read it in English. They do some of our embryo work on the farm (the cow in the photo is one of ours). Cesare is a pioneering clonation scientist -he cloned the first horse, Prometea, to give birth to a son, Pegasus.

His work for organ donation is with pigs -I have no problem with eating meat and if a pig's liver could help to prolong or save a person's life that's OK by me. Their work is centered on the culturing and growth of the organs in the laboratory thus avoiding un-necessary animal death.

http://www.avantea.it/

They are a registered charity and have never had problems with Anti-vivisectionists, as far as I know, as they don't kill animals in their research.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for answering that, I was Sooooo, tempted to have yet another go at her pathetic little, (was it a threat? Is she the one with the zimmer frame & ski mask?), attempt on your beliefs, go for it girl I love pork scratching, any by-product from that which will elongate a human life I'm all for.

Please excuse me one of my rabbits has awoken from the effects of the stun gun I'm testing, I'll have to attack it's eye's with this deoderant I'm checking for swine flu'.
Old 24-01-2012, 19:08   #43
God Member

I have no objection to you having a pig organ transplant should you need one.
There should be no rejection problem for you since you have admitted to living like one.

I did not express my own views on the matter of vivisection - was just surprised that it was being done openly in Italy, whereas here it does tend to get done 'on the quiet'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 19:11   #44
Beacon of light

Quote:

I am not much of a fan of TV.......but this is my favourite program of the moment.......and Joy of Joys, they have commissioned a second series.
I enjoyed the book immensely and usually TV programs fail to meet my expectations...not this one.
Miranda Hart is absolutely spot on for the part of Chummy.
If you haven't watched this series yet.......I implore you....please settle down to an hour of enjoyment next Sunday....BBC1 8pm.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 19:14   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have no objection to you having a pig organ transplant should you need one.
There should be no rejection problem for you since you have admitted to living like one.

I did not express my own views on the matter of vivisection - was just surprised that it was being done openly in Italy, whereas here it does tend to get done 'on the quiet'.
Oh diddums, do I feel yet another severe learning curve from being put on your ignore list?

Why not do yourself a favour, just ignore AccyWeb, nothing on here suits your mind set.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..