Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2012, 18:26   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: I'm sick to death with Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not much of a fan of TV.......but this is my favourite program of the moment.......and Joy of Joys, they have commissioned a second series.
I enjoyed the book immensely and usually TV programs fail to meet my expectations...not this one.
Miranda Hart is absolutely spot on for the part of Chummy.
If you haven't watched this series yet.......I implore you....please settle down to an hour of enjoyment next Sunday....BBC1 8pm.
When I watched it, I was wondering if you, and Lettie, were watching it too, and what you thought.

Glad you approve. I think it's very good.

Seems odd, describing something set in the mid-fifties as 'period'. Things have changed, but it's not that long ago. These young midwifes would have helped train you, fifteen or so years later.

Haven't read the books, but will now.

Heard there was some criticism, from people saying the east end wasn't that grim.

Perhaps it wasn't if you were one of two children.

Different story if you were one of fourteen, with a dad who liked a pint or ten, on the way home from the docks.

Miranda Hart was fabulous as Chummy. Deserving of some prize, I think.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2012, 18:27   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for answering that, I was Sooooo, tempted to have yet another go at her pathetic little, (was it a threat? Is she the one with the zimmer frame & ski mask?), attempt on your beliefs, go for it girl I love pork scratching, any by-product from that which will elongate a human life I'm all for.

Please excuse me one of my rabbits has awoken from the effects of the stun gun I'm testing, I'll have to attack it's eye's with this deoderant I'm checking for swine flu'.
Oh dear me, Less -what a laugh! A triple thank you almost stopped me from being Soooooo annoyed by your new moving clowns - so much so that for a milli-second i thought their noses were a bunch of hearts aimed at me - bag of pork scratchings in the post for Valentine's day!

Afterthought: think it's time you sent me some karma you mean "Barsteward "-i've sent you some several times and you've never even acknowledged it - you could get labelled a Grumpy Old Man if you're not careful.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 24-01-2012 at 18:34. Reason: Afterthought
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:31   #48
God Member

Double recommendation for the new series -will definitely order it now.

Along with Birdsong which mum has told me about -you have no idea how frustrating it is to be missing out.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 18:38   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Oh dear me, Less -what a laugh! A triple thank you almost stopped me from being Soooooo annoyed by your new moving clowns - so much so that for a milli-second i thought their noses were a bunch of hearts aimed at me - bag of pork scratchings in the post for Valentine's day!

Afterthought: think it's time you sent me some karma you mean "Barsteward "-i've sent you some several times and you've never even acknowledged it - you could get labelled a Grumpy Old Man if you're not careful.
Allow me to apologise my dyslexia must have crept in, I read the post again, you did ask for red roses, somehow I thought RED noses!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:41   #50
God Member

Quote:
Allow me to apologise my dyslexia must have crept in, I read the post again, you did ask for red roses, somehow I thought RED noses!
Cute Less, very cute -you might even get some karma for that...let me think about it for a little while!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 18:50   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Cute Less, very cute -you might even get some karma for that...let me think about it for a little while!
Think as much as you wish try and tempt me with a teasing amount of extra karma, however, I have earned my karma points both red & green no amount of teasing OR complaining will get me to give it you unless it's deserved.
You will know when you've posted something worthwhile, then I'll give it you.
Old 24-01-2012, 19:01   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Think as much as you wish try and tempt me with a teasing amount of extra karma, however, I have earned my karma points both red & green no amount of teasing OR complaining will get me to give it you unless it's deserved.
Which is why hes never give me any.
Old 24-01-2012, 19:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Which is why hes never give me any.
Nah, I've met you, I just couldn't be charitable enough to give you one.

(Phew, managed to get back on thread).
Old 24-01-2012, 20:49   #54
God Member

Quote:
Couldn't give you any Karma today as I've given it to Garinda and Flashy already -am feeling a bit sad that you couldn't give some to me

Three thank-you's seemed quite feat -obviously have to try harder , and yet you are obviously thinking of me, even though you confused the red roses...

I live in hope....

PS I never complain.

Must write to Agony Aunt Less...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2012, 21:02   #55
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When I watched it, I was wondering if you, and Lettie, were watching it too, and what you thought.

Glad you approve. I think it's very good.

Seems odd, describing something set in the mid-fifties as 'period'. Things have changed, but it's not that long ago. These young midwifes would have helped train you, fifteen or so years later.

Miranda Hart was fabulous as Chummy. Deserving of some prize, I think.
I had to watch the first one on the I Player as I was working when it was on. To be honest, people do still live in horrible dirt and deprivation. I did nearly 10 years on the community within Hyndburn and can honestly say that there is so much poverty round here it is unbelievable.
I believe that Jennifer Worth (the Author), before she died, wrote to Miranda Hart and personally asked her to play the part of Chummy as she had so strongly reminded her of Chummy.
Although things have moved on a bit I still remember being taken to Canon St clinic in Accy where they did everything behind curtains. I remember going with my mum. I also remember giving soap and water enemas for bowel prep but mostly on the general side and yes, we gave them 'high, hot and helluva lot.'

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 13:23   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Think you've been away too long.

Last summers riots and looting attracted people across the social scale.

There were many prosecutions of people who came from backgrounds where they had good lifestyles, including many who were privately educated.

Same thing at our annual May Day riots, and most protests nowadays, there's very much a middle class weighting.

Which means that it's really nothing to do with 'poverty', or social mobility.
Of course there is "middle class weighting"; all decent revolutionary movements come from the middle class. The middle class has revolutions; the great unwashed have revolts ... as in "The peasants are revolting"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:06   #57
Beacon of light

Lettie, can I ask you if the midwife Jessica reminds you of anyone in particular?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:18   #58
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yeah ... we get that stuff too. And I have to admit that I do feel sympathy. But I can't afford to give to everything; and I do know that some charities are more reliable and effective than others. And I also know that Canada spends billions in foreign aid, and that this aid comes from the Canadian taxpayer. Whenever there is a natural disaster ... Haiti comes to mind; we gave large there ... Canadians, whether they like it or not, step up with the bucks. When I donate, I try to do it locally: I donate to the Kingston Humane Society, clothes and toys for kids at Christmas, the Partners in Mission Food Bank, and the Sally Anne. I recieve official receipts for my donations and I can submit these with my income tax as a portion of the donations is tax deductible.
Yes donations are tax deductible in that you sign a form and the charity gets however much tax you would have paid on that amount. For many years we were very hard up and didn't give at all but recently our finances have improved and at Christmas instead of buying presents we have donated, in alternate years to charities at home and abroad. But I do agree with what you said in a previous post Eric that charities in developed countries are something that we shouldn't need now.

Another reason we did not give to charity was that when my dad died in 1994 he left most of his money to my stepmother, who was already comfortably off in her own right. The day he died she saw her solicitor, we think to alter her will, and when she died, all her money went to charity. My dad's solicitor told me that originally her will would have left my dad's money to myself and my siblings on her death and would have advised my dad differently had she known how much my stepmother disliked us. So I reckon we have done a fair bit of charity contributing involuntarily.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:41   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Of course there is "middle class weighting"; all decent revolutionary movements come from the middle class. The middle class has revolutions; the great unwashed have revolts ... as in "The peasants are revolting"
Last summer's shenanigans weren't revolutionary.

They were criminal acts of violence, and looting, in which decent people feared for their lives.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:05   #60
Resting in Peace

I hate having to catch up, but having organised a branch of a national charity, I would say that before anybody makes a donation take a look at their annual financial report, there's usually an interesting section under salaries, I say no more. I only support 3 charities Asthma UK, Osteoporosis society, and the Christie, of which I'm a patron

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..