Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2012, 19:34   #61
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: I'm sick to death with Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Lettie, can I ask you if the midwife Jessica reminds you of anyone in particular?
I figure that from your question you have somebody in mind Margaret?? I can recognise some of the character traits from all of them and see them in my colleagues. The Pam Ferris character reminds me of some of the old, long retired midwives who I have worked with. They had a wealth of knowledge but spoke their minds, sometimes it seemed to be unkind but it was always in the women's best interests.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2012, 19:40   #62
Beacon of light

Yes, How astute of you Lettie.....the midwifery sister she reminds me of had the initials A.P.(I don't want to put her name on the forum incase she sees it and thinks I am out of order).
This was my impression after the first episode and it was reinforced by the second episode.
I like this particular midwifery sister very much...she seemed to be down to earth, could tell it like it was(didn't mince her words) but had loads of common sense and compassion.
It made me think of her and wonder where she is now.
Yes I know what you mean about the Pam Ferris character......and the Jenny Agutter one too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 04:19   #63
Filthy / Gorgeous

A.P. was my mentor and I can definitely see what you mean. I haven't seen her for ages but I believe she is well. I can ask some of her old friends if they have heard from her but I am going to be off work for a few weeks now. Had the Gallbladder whipped out on Monday, it was all a bit of a drama and had to be done as an emergency but I'm ok, just won't be in work for a bit.

Now that I will be at home for a bit, I'll probably notice all the charity folks that come to your house during the day. (Pathetic attempt to get back on thread).

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 26-01-2012, 06:42   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
A.P. was my mentor and I can definitely see what you mean. I haven't seen her for ages but I believe she is well. I can ask some of her old friends if they have heard from her but I am going to be off work for a few weeks now. Had the Gallbladder whipped out on Monday, it was all a bit of a drama and had to be done as an emergency but I'm ok, just won't be in work for a bit.

Now that I will be at home for a bit, I'll probably notice all the charity folks that come to your house during the day. (Pathetic attempt to get back on thread).
Hope you're ok, and soon recover hun. x

He said, charitably.

(So he wouldn't be accused of going off thread.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:52   #65
Filthy / Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Hope you're ok, and soon recover hun. x

He said, charitably.

(So he wouldn't be accused of going off thread.)

Thanks Rindy, I'll be fine. Funnily enough, I've just been to get our post and found one of those charity collection bags (the ones we all use as bin liners) with the post... I bet I notice this most days now lol..

Old 26-01-2012, 14:20   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Last summer's shenanigans weren't revolutionary.

They were criminal acts of violence, and looting, in which decent people feared for their lives.
Some actually lost their lives, homes and liveliehoods, in the name of other people's greed for luxuries.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:29   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Thanks Rindy, I'll be fine. Funnily enough, I've just been to get our post and found one of those charity collection bags (the ones we all use as bin liners) with the post... I bet I notice this most days now lol..
All these "bin liners" must be costing the charities a fair amount and taking up a lot of time to deliver. Must be worth their while though or they would stop sending them surely.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 15:45   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Some actually lost their lives, homes and liveliehoods, in the name of other people's greed for luxuries.
I'm a little confused here, hon Seriously. Those people who are "greed[y] for luxuries. Are they the rioters? Or the top one per cent?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 17:22   #69
Beacon of light

The top one percent can go out and buy the goods they want. The rioters stole the goods, and in the pursuit of designer trainers and such like material things, put lives in danger.
I know your post was probably tongue in cheek(or at least I think it was).
Some of the rioters came from homes and backgrounds where they could afford to buy the goods too(privileged back grounds).....so it wasn't down to poverty.
I really don't think it was political either. It was a case of opportunism......it was still criminal opportunism though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 17:35   #70
God Member

Even the children of bankers and stock market traders participated.

Dishonesty and greed features in all social classes.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 17:40   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Even the children of bankers and stock market traders participated.

Dishonesty and greed features in all social classes.
That wasn't Dishonesty and greed, it was, like a lot of soiled brat kids do, stick two fingers up to mummy and daddy
Old 26-01-2012, 17:42   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
All these "bin liners" must be costing the charities a fair amount and taking up a lot of time to deliver. Must be worth their while though or they would stop sending them surely.
They get the postman to deliver um now mobertol
Old 26-01-2012, 17:50   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That wasn't Dishonesty and greed, it was, like a lot of soiled brat kids do, stick two fingers up to mummy and daddy
A tory response that -

Members of the Bullingdon club weren't vandals either were they?- they were just smashing up restaurants for fun to annoy mummy and daddy.

There is as much greed and theft going on in the 'upper classes' but most have been educated on how to conceal it, or can bribe their way out of it when caught.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 18:04   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A tory response that -

Members of the Bullingdon club weren't vandals either were they?- they were just smashing up restaurants for fun to annoy mummy and daddy.

There is as much greed and theft going on in the 'upper classes' but most have been educated on how to conceal it, or can bribe their way out of it when caught.
I really do think you've got a slate loose.
Old 26-01-2012, 18:22   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I really do think you've got a slate loose.
You aren't thinking, you are using un-thought-out biases because you don't seem to be able to come up with a reasoned response to what is an apt comment.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..