Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2009, 19:03   #1
God Member

I'm thinking of getting a puppy....

..... can anyone offer any advice about the type of dog to get?

I don't want a big dog but on the other hand I don't want one of those toy things - I'm thinking something along the lines of a Jack Russell but I've heard they can be quite high maintenance. Chris likes Border Collies but a friend of mine had one a while back and it was mad! A border collie is also a bit bigger than I was thinking.

I've always had cats in the past so this is new to me but I'm going into it with my eyes open and doing all my research first.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2009, 19:06   #2
God Member

Re: I'm thinking of getting a puppy....

My Mum had a border collie she was the greatest dog ever. All puppies can be barmy if not trained properly I don't think it is down to the breed just how the owner trains them.
Old 26-07-2009, 19:17   #3

Border Collies are a fantastic dog very trainable but high maintenance and can be quite mad due to breeding, long hairs when they moult as well. Dont forget they are a herding dog so a ten minute walk wont stop it tearing your house apart, they can run all day long. Ive posted on Jr's on two other threads in here somewhere, again its down to training and i dont find my Albert high maintenance at all, i had a deaf Jr for four years which i trained by hand signals which was fine if he was looking my way, i had him put down when he lost his eyes, a loss never forgotten, poor old Fred. Showing him my middle finger would make him attack me, must be an insult to dogs lol.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 19:23   #4
God Member

We wouldn't part with out Yorkies for anything, cracking dogs, had a cocker spaniel before that, there good dogs too.

Here, just to tease ya

Had them cut short for summer

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 26-07-2009 at 19:27.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 19:26   #5
God Member

would definitely say a yorkie, a friend of mine has two and they are so sweet, we had a border collie called Kai, he was really placid and so lovable
Old 26-07-2009, 19:38   #6
God Member

Hey what happened to my 2nd pic

Here's Molly

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8829.JPG (144.4 KB, 101 views)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 19:45   #7

Albert says hi.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg user15820_pic466_1248173902.jpg (86.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Mick; 31-07-2009 at 14:13.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 19:48   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I would never put anyone off getting a mongrel pup, as long as you meet the mother (to get an idea of size and temperament). They are often brilliant dogs. For a breed I would recommend something like a Cocker Spaniel or a Miniature Poodle. Both breeds are intelligent, good with children and not too big or too small. Spaniels shed hair twice a year and have to be groomed regularly. Poodles don't shed but you have to have them clipped regularly or they look like sheep.

What ever you get, please be prepared to put a lot of time into training and exercising, a lot of money into the vet's and be patient - weeing on the carpet is not an act of wilful disobedience (I mean the dog.....not you).
Old 26-07-2009, 20:08   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Gayle, you must be the busiest person I know and you want to burden yourself with a dog. I have made an appointment for you at the head doctors

If you do decide to get one get a proper dog. Not something the size of a large cat. At least you can pretend it keeps you and the kids safe at night then.

Get a dog and not a bitch.
Old 26-07-2009, 20:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had many dogs gayle, the best fer me is the one we got now (Paris's) its a minature schnauzer, very good with kids, they don't moult which i reckon is a godsend, just wants to play with every animal he sees, cats included. they don't come cheap but fer me worth every penny.
Old 26-07-2009, 20:41   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

May I just say I disagree with Neil about dog versus bitch. I'd have a bitch every time, more loyal and more compliant. Either sex, if you're not going in for breeding, please have it neutered.
Old 26-07-2009, 20:47   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Either sex, if you're not going in for breeding, please have it neutered.

Why would you suggest that?
Old 26-07-2009, 21:15   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
..... can anyone offer any advice about the type of dog to get?

I don't want a big dog but on the other hand I don't want one of those toy things - I'm thinking something along the lines of a Jack Russell but I've heard they can be quite high maintenance. Chris likes Border Collies but a friend of mine had one a while back and it was mad! A border collie is also a bit bigger than I was thinking.

I've always had cats in the past so this is new to me but I'm going into it with my eyes open and doing all my research first.

So, any advice would be appreciated.
If our going to get a dog, go to the RSPCA at Altham. They will let you chose from a large range of dogs.
And they will make sure its suitable for you and your enviroment, make sure its neutered and take out insurance, vets bills can be very expensive.
A well trained dog is a pleasure to have, as long as every one in the household uses the same commands, Sit, Stay, Here, Down etc,
not wait a minute for stay.
A dog cant understand sentences and becomes confused.
Retlaw.

Our Eedie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eedie-3.JPG (56.4 KB, 1 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 21:18   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why would you suggest that?

Little girl dog. Comes into season every 6 months so has to be "confined to quarters" for about 3 weeks, sprayed with 'orrible stuff before going for a well-chaperoned walk (late at night) and put up with every Tom, Dick and Rover being prepared to camp out on the doorstep.

Little boy dog. Will become single-minded if there's a bitch on heat anywhere in the vicinity. Without his canine testosterone he's less likely to be aggressive, to wander and to make a nuisance of himself (to your leg etc.).

Despite good intentions, accidents do happen with un-neutered dogs and bitches.
Old 26-07-2009, 23:52   #15

I was going to say a minature schnauzer but cashy beat me to it
bearded collies make fabulous pets but you gotta keep on top of their coats
my sister has a labradoodle although pretty expensive to buy as a puppy her girl has a temperament to die for and is so entertaining quite a clown,but having said that my sister has two young children and the dog is fabulous with them.
All i can add is if you are looking for a pedigree puppy ask to see the health testing certificates the breeder should have both the dams and sires hip scores.heart tests etc,ask to see the parents of the litter.
as for sex i adore both males and females
females do have a twice a yr season but if your not going to breed you can spay after the first season
Dogs you can have neutered once they have matured
ive owned males that have never wandered to get to a bitch in heat,males do scent mark though but that shouldnt put anyone off.
im picking a new puppy up 2weeks today and know ive a few sleepness nights ahead of me and the toilet training,but its all good fun and the pleasure you get from owning a dog makes it all worth while
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..