Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2011, 15:01   #1
Common Sense Member

In Touch

I have just received my copy of In Touch through the door and it seems that all of a sudden the councillors up for re-election have managed to find their voice after four years.

Cllr Roberts is quoted as saying 'Hyndburn is becoming a relative Council Tax haven under Conservative control.' Yes, I suppose the threat of losing our 2.5% government tax grant if we increase it had nothing to do with that decision and that most other councils in the country are putting theirs up regardless? What about the predicted increases in council tax revenue in 2013 and 2014, how does that occur without raising taxes?

I also note that the Conservatives are fully supporting an Accrington staycation this year by subsidising trips to Blackpool. Cllr Horne is reportedly looking forward to repeating it again in 2011 although perhaps this year he might request that Rishton gets an earlier pickup in rotation so that our residents can actually get on the bus after it's been to Oswaldtwistle?

Rishton is suddenly very high on the priorities list when it comes to cheques and good news but where have you been with handouts for the last four years?

The Conservatives don't deserve a foothold in our village and I look forward to seeing them off in May.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2011, 17:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: In Touch

For one thing - Labour appeared in person, not just a leaflet pushed through the letterbox by a distribution company - the other flyers were more interesting!!!!!!
Old 15-03-2011, 17:48   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
For one thing - Labour appeared in person, not just a leaflet pushed through the letterbox by a distribution company - the other flyers were more interesting!!!!!!
And cost a hell of a lot more too
Old 15-03-2011, 21:42   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And cost a hell of a lot more too
No doubt that H.E. will fund it somehow
Old 15-03-2011, 23:10   #5
Senior Member+

Political bribery has always been part of many a politicans armoury. The Conservative Council have always relied on such immoral electioneering and believe there is nothing wrong with it.

Such expenditure is wasteful as it does not seek best value. A pat on the back to Ken for having the tenacity and guts to pursue accountability, transparency and efficiency.

The InTouch magazine is paid for as a non political magazine but I remember one day sat in my office with teh door open catching senior officers, a senior Tory and Paul Barton talking about inTouch as a very useful Conservative election leaflet and justifying it by accusing the then Labour County Council's Vision of excluding Conservatives.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:17   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The InTouch magazine is paid for as a non political magazine but I remember one day sat in my office with teh door open catching senior officers, a senior Tory and Paul Barton talking about inTouch as a very useful Conservative election leaflet and justifying it by accusing the then Labour County Council's Vision of excluding Conservatives.
I suspect the talking was coming from the politicians, and the officers were listening with gritted teeth. They tend to get caught between a rock and a hard place!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:44   #7
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I suspect the talking was coming from the politicians, and the officers were listening with gritted teeth. They tend to get caught between a rock and a hard place!
Publicising party promises with public money is just plain wrong. By coincidence I received TWO copies of Lancashire Vision yesterday which was full of equally trite propoganda from LCC. We don't need these publications no matter who is in control and however little it costs per household we have still paid for it ourselves.

The best use for it came this morning when I was lighting the fire.

Old 16-03-2011, 07:30   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You're lucky, having an open fire, I can't get rid of mine, I put it in my white sack then watch it blowing around the street for days after the wagon has been.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 07:44   #9
God Member

Quote:
Publicising party promises with public money is just plain wrong. By coincidence I received TWO copies of Lancashire Vision yesterday which was full of equally trite propoganda from LCC. We don't need these publications no matter who is in control and however little it costs per household we have still paid for it ourselves.

O come on; methinks the councillor doth protest too much. "Publicising party promises with public money is just plain" normal in politics. And when and if Labour controls the council, I would bet a "c" note that they will continue the practice, and sanitize there actions with the usual rationalizations and political platitudes.

Every vote that I have ever cast, except locally where I vote for the person, has been for the New Democratic Party .... in English that means "Labour". They are the best of a bad bunch; but they most closely represent my personal political philosophy. However, New Deomocratic governments have been guilty of advertising their not inconsequential achievements with public money.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 07:48   #10
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I also note that the Conservatives are fully supporting an Accrington staycation this year by subsidising trips to Blackpool. Cllr Horne is reportedly looking forward to repeating it again in 2011 although perhaps this year he might request that Rishton gets an earlier pickup in rotation so that our residents can actually get on the bus after it's been to Oswaldtwistle?
And lo, it happened last night at the Rishton Area Council meeting! A public announcement that Rishton would be the startoff point in rotation with Oswaldtwistle.

Public opinion on In Touch was a little less favourable though, with Cllr Horne taking something of a mauling over 'confirmed' spending of Rishton's £250,000 on one playing field. That didn't go down too well with a room full of pensioners who didn't think that one councillor should have final say on such a large amount of money or the community group who are a gnat's wing from securing funding for it anyway and are now likely to lose it thanks to council interference.

Why not actually listen to the residents for a change?

Old 16-03-2011, 07:56   #11
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
O come on; methinks the councillor doth protest too much. "Publicising party promises with public money is just plain" normal in politics. And when and if Labour controls the council, I would bet a "c" note that they will continue the practice, and sanitize there actions with the usual rationalizations and political platitudes.

Every vote that I have ever cast, except locally where I vote for the person, has been for the New Democratic Party .... in English that means "Labour". They are the best of a bad bunch; but they most closely represent my personal political philosophy. However, New Deomocratic governments have been guilty of advertising their not inconsequential achievements with public money.
I accept that it has gone on in the past but my concern is with the here and now.

I give you my word that council-funded periodicals like this will be first on my hit list of recommendations for abolition following a change of control. Miles Parkinson is aware of my feelings on the matter and actually submitted a a firm proposal to scrap The Beacon as part of his budget on 1st March.

Accrington Web seems to have a long memory and I suspect that any backtracking of opinions will come back to haunt me very badly when the time comes.

Hold your councillors to account because your tax money pays our allowances.

Old 16-03-2011, 08:11   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You're lucky, having an open fire, I can't get rid of mine, I put it in my white sack then watch it blowing around the street for days after the wagon has been.
You must get one of the new sacks Less, with a velcro strip to close them
Old 16-03-2011, 08:15   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Accrington Web seems to have a long memory and I suspect that any backtracking of opinions will come back to haunt me very badly when the time comes.
The statement has been filed, by the Accy Web archivist.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 08:23   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Let's be honest, the Council is not where I would expect to get my newspaper from, if I want local news I will buy a local newsaper.
Just as the Council is not where I would be looking for expert advice in running a local market.
Both of these jobs should be done by the Journalists or traders that invest their livelihoods in their respective occupations.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 08:36   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Let's be honest, the Council is not where I would expect to get my newspaper from, if I want local news I will buy a local newsaper.
I suppose it depends on what people expect from their paper.

Some like a publication full of tits.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..