Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 10:28   #16

Re: "Incidents" in town

The murdered lad was my friends brother. We all know he was no angel but I don't believe he deserved to die. Although I wouldn't have thought the bloke who did it could do such a thing. This has affected a lot of people.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2005, 10:37   #17
I am Banned

if he was burgaling somones home then he deserved a good hiding its just unfortunate he died

sorry if i sound insesitive but my mother was burgaled by a 19 year old and now my mother is afraid to be in her own home even though it happened a few months ago and to be quite honest if i ever get my hands on him he will get a kicking he deserves as well

ime only going off what is posted here so i appologise if the reports are wrong but if he indeed was robbing someones house then then no one should be to blame but the person who decided to burgal somone elses home
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47   #18

These youngsters don't seem to realize the stresses put on their victims. Many have sufferred heart attacks and most fear the same happenning again for the resr of their lives. If someone chooses to break in to a persons home they are making an assault on that persons privacy, as well as an assault on the mind of the occupant. So they should not be suprised when the housholder retaliates. Also lets face it, in the heat of the moment when you are suddenly confronted by a thug who has entered your home without your consent, your aim is to get one in before you become the victim, not oh dear I don't want to hit him too hard in case I really hurt him. Death is never desrved but when you put a person in terrible fear like this then I'm afraid you lay yourself wide open to whatever comes.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
These youngsters don't seem to realize the stresses put on their victims. Many have sufferred heart attacks and most fear the same happenning again for the resr of their lives. If someone chooses to break in to a persons home they are making an assault on that persons privacy, as well as an assault on the mind of the occupant. So they should not be suprised when the housholder retaliates. Also lets face it, in the heat of the moment when you are suddenly confronted by a thug who has entered your home without your consent, your aim is to get one in before you become the victim, not oh dear I don't want to hit him too hard in case I really hurt him. Death is never desrved but when you put a person in terrible fear like this then I'm afraid you lay yourself wide open to whatever comes.
Totally agree Fireman. When someone breaks into your house you do not know what their intentions are. They could be there to rob, they could be there to rape, they could be there to steal. Whatever the reason, the victim is unaware how far the invaders are prepared to go in pursuit of their crime. No blame should be attributed to a victim who kills someone in those circumstances. They shouldn't bloody well be there in the first place. If anyone breaks into my house, they had better kill me, otherwise they are going to get blown away.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:35   #20
Resident Waffler

Although my initial reaction was horror at the idea of someone being beaten to death I have to agree that when a 19 year old youth breaks into someone's home that instils fear into the householder and an instinctive reaction to defend life, limb and property.

The burglar set out to burgle and as has already been said they have no idea of the long term effect they have on their victims. It isn't just the loss of property, it's the feeling of vulnerability. The burglary victim didn't set out to attack anyone. This is just the survival instinct coming out. When feeling threatened people tend to react to defend.

I sincerely hope the powers that be take a good look at the situation and we don't end up with a Tony Martin repetition here in Acccrington.

The loss of life is tragic but perhaps it will make other young thugs and burglars think again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:41   #21

I am led to believe that the man charged is one John Butterworth, Some of you may remember his father who lived opposite sacred heart church

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45   #22
God Member

I have removed this post as it is probably wiser to wait until all the facts are heard before making any judgement.

Last edited by Gayle Knight; 11-07-2005 at 14:37.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:47   #23
Roy
Administrator

I've just read the telegraph and it makes no mention of a burglary attempt. It also says the murdered teenager (Daniel James Freeston) was found outside Mr Butterworths home.

Apparently Mr Butterworth is being charged in court today....

This could be interesting if it was an attempted burglary.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:51   #24
God Member

Obviously, if it wasn't an attempted burglary I take back what I said previously. I was only going off what was printed earlier in the thread.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:54   #25
Resident Waffler

It was Ber999T who mentioned a break in, although it had been said previously that there was more to this than had been reported.

No doubt we shall find out eventually.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 13:29   #26
Member.

In the absence of fact it’s very difficult to form opinion. That said if someone enters another persons home uninvited, then within reasonable bounds that person has the right to defend his or her self, and his or her property.

If a life is taken in anger and evidence suggests that other methods of detainment where available then the chap in question may well become another Tony Martin. Again it depends on the level of treat that the alleged victim perceived at the time of the attack. Your first difficulty is deciding who is the victim? Just because the young lad was outside the property doesn’t necessarily mean he was the aggressor. The older chap may have misinterpreted the younger ones intentions.

The over riding fact is at this moment we just don’t know. If this young chap deserved a kicking for something he did fine but we have got to be reasonable, other than the one or the other mans life been at threat did he deserve to died, what’s more we must take care in our assumptions there are two families that are no doubt devastated by this as well as friends. Perhaps we should give them some thought and be aware that they may also be reading the contents of this thread.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 13:33   #27
Beacon of light

At the moment all this is just speculation and conjecture.......would it not be wise to wait until there is a fuller picture before we make comments or judgements....?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 14:06   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
At the moment all this is just speculation and conjecture.......would it not be wise to wait until there is a fuller picture before we make comments or judgements....?
thats exactly why ive kept out of this,when i know some facts i will form an opinion.
Old 11-07-2005, 15:39   #29
I am Banned

looks like the burgalry story was not true although the person who mentioned it didnt say it was %100

[quote]

A 49-YEAR-OLD man was due to appear in court today accused of murdering a teenager.

John Butterworth, of Water Street, Accrington, was charged following the death of 19-year-old Daniel James Freeston.

Mr Freeston was discovered with a serious head injury outside Butterworth's home at 4.50am on Saturday and was taken to Blackburn Infirmary.

Mr Freeston, formerly of Cedar Street but believed to have been living recently in Oswaldtwistle, died on Saturday afternoon.

The street was cordonned off from its junction with East Gate, on Saturday, while forensic examinations were carried out.

Two police officers guarded the front and back doors into the house throughout Saturday.

Det Insp Ian Critchley said: "We cordoned off Water Street close to the junction with Eastgate in order to examine the street where we believe the man was assaulted. We have also examined inside the house in Water Street.

"We ask anyone who was in the Water Street area at the time of the incident to contact us with any information they may have."

Neighbours in Water Street said they were shocked to hear about the incident.

Stacey Rayner, 32, of Water Street, said: "I heard muffled voices coming from the street at about 4am on Saturday but I didn't hear anything else. When we woke up the street had been cordonned off from top to bottom and we saw the forensic officers.

"We automatically thought someone must have died.

"It's awful when something like this happens a few doors away. It's something you see on TV and don't expect on your doorstep.

"We haven't lived here long but we're already fed up of the problems on this street.

"We've had our car scratched and the man who lives at the house where the police have been has had an upstairs and downstairs window smashed during the past six months.

"We have seen the man who lives there in passing and he seems an okay bloke. He was already living there when we moved in and most of the houses on this block are privately-owned."

Another female neighbour, who did not want to be identified but has lived in the street for ten years, said: "The first I knew about it was when the police knocked at my door about 5.15am. I didn't hear anything outside and usually my dogs start barking if there's any noise.

"We've had windows broken before but nothing this serious. I know a man called John has lived in that house for quite a while and I think there was a younger man living there aswell recently."

Staff at the local Stanley Street Working Men's Club said the incident had been the talk of the club but no-one knew what had happened or who was involved.

[quote]\
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 15:41   #30

When I posted my lot on this I was generalising I agree that the full facts of this particular case may well be some time coming to light, but it does not change my thoughts as I put in my post. When confronted by a stranger in a situation such as burglary you dont have time to ponder the situation. Self preservation takes a lead in your mind .
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..