Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 16:19   #31
Senior Member+

Re: "Incidents" in town

okies this is what i meant in earlier post.#

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/la...EWSACC0ZM.html
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2005, 19:55   #32
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
At the moment all this is just speculation and conjecture.......would it not be wise to wait until there is a fuller picture before we make comments or judgements....?
I wasn't getting at anybody with this post......I just felt that it was premature to make judgements on the information that was available at the time.

I do agree that if you are in the unenviable position of catching a burglar in their actions, you should be able to defend your propery and yourself....and the law allows 'reasonable force'......however, there is no definition of what constitutes reasonable force.

Sorry if I have inadvertently thread wandered.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 22:27   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink Re: "Incidents" in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I wasn't getting at anybody with this post......I just felt that it was premature to make judgements on the information that was available at the time.

I do agree that if you are in the unenviable position of catching a burglar in their actions, you should be able to defend your propery and yourself....and the law allows 'reasonable force'......however, there is no definition of what constitutes reasonable force.

Sorry if I have inadvertently thread wandered.
i agreed with margaret,have to say a different opinion is NOT getting at anybody though some might disagree with that.
Old 11-07-2005, 22:41   #34

I also agree with Margaret The family of the dead lad don't yet know fully what happened so apart from the accused none of us know what really went on. This was why I put up my first post. I do know the family are in deep in shock and are struggling to come to terms with it. In this respect my heart goes out to the family as they are the ones who are suffering right now.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 13:04   #35
Beacon of light

Whatever the lad did or didn't do.... there is a family out there grieving who deserve our respect.
Please let them grieve in peace.
Old 12-07-2005, 14:38   #36
Resting in Peace

I statetd the facts as I was told ie "trying to break in" as that was the info I got off my workmate. Sorry if I have misled anybody.

Yes his family will be greaving for him and I send them my condoliences (if spelling bad sorry for that).

However if it turns out to be that the lad was about to do a crime, I have to say that if he had NOT[B] being trying to break in would he not still be alive?

The chap who is being charged now has to live with the fact that he has taken someone's life and he will have to carry that around with him. Maybe he was mistaken in trying to protect his home who can say!! but would you not try to stop someone from entering your home??
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:52   #37
Roy
Administrator

Been talking about this today with people who work with mr butterworth... Still, no details have been released from the police. However, Mr Butterworth has been released on bail.

Margeret, I agree there is a family out there that is greiving. There is also a family out there that does not know what is going on. There is also a whole town that have not been told the facts or even what is known that may not be facts. Isn't it good that we have somewhere to talk about this??? I suppose we could all just say nothing and pretend that nothing happened. But something has happened, and we all know something has happened, why should we not talk about this?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 14:18   #38
Beacon of light

Roy.....it depends what you mean by talking.....talking in general is fine, but some of the posts have been just conjecture and supposition......and some have been pure rumour.
The only person who knows what went on is the accused man......his family is not served by gossip and rumour and neither is the family of the person who was killed.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:53   #39

All I can say is that it is a shame for all people involved. No matter what this young lad was doing, he didn't deserve to have his life taken. Also there is a man that has to carry around with him the guilt of what he has done even if it was through protection. Personally we don't know exactly what went on and should just leave the rumours and gossip out
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 01:01   #40
I am Banned

ive heard the alleged victim was on an asbo and shouldnt have even been in the area

can anyone confirm this..?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 01:16   #41
land of hope and glory

the alleged victim..............has gone!will wait for the verdict then comment?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 22:29   #42
Resident Waffler

It appears that all the charges have been dropped now against Mr. Butterworth.
Here's the story.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 22:35   #43
God Member

Will it be left to lie or will something else appear to drag it out further?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 22:41   #44
Resident Waffler

Looks like that's the end of it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 06:27   #45
God Member

So, a chap defends his home and property against a thieving scrote and ends up under a charge of murder for five months and now has to live away from his home town, he has to give up his home, his job and has had many of his personal relationships shattered as well as having to cope with the financial costs of moving and mounting a defence. And what now can he make of his life? How can he put a shattered life back together again and carry on - as he must?

We rail, not without justification, about the criminal having more rights than the victim. Speaking personally, my heart and my sympathies lie with John Butterworth. I have none for the thief; he got what he deserved. I am surprised that more members are not of the same opinion, especially those who have been on the recieving end of the attentions of burglars, con-artists and thieves.

Good luck in your new life John. I feel sad and ashamed that you were ever put in this position. I remember a young lad who had more disadvantages to cope with than I did but, who still managed to make me smile when I was down. I hope that you can find that strength and courage again and put all this behind you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..