Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2008, 19:38   #16

Re: Inflation at 5.5%

I'm no expert but I think the facts are these: the Consumer Price Index (CPI) has risen to 5.2% and the Retail Price Index (RPI) has risen to 5.0%. Benefits and state pension increases for April 2009 are based on the September 2008 RPI figure and so will rise by 5.0% next year.

Willow said that MPs will be able to vote themselves a higher than inflation pay rise to cover themselves. I haven't got the exact figure to hand but I think that this year MPs voted themselves a 1.9% rise in line with other public sector workers, the 7th year in a row that the rise has been lower than inflation.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2008, 19:49   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks fer clearing that up Mr Pope, perhaps you may know if the opposition ever took Less than inflation oer their 3 electoral terms? i suspect not, but can stand to be shocked.
Old 14-10-2008, 20:40   #18
Caz
God Member

Tax credits award told us in July that we would have approx 4 quid increase in April. Does this September reckoning mean I can disregard that and look forward to more?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 09:39   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thanks fer clearing that up Mr Pope, perhaps you may know if the opposition ever took Less than inflation oer their 3 electoral terms? i suspect not, but can stand to be shocked.
I think you may find that pay increases for MPs are usually a cross party agreement cashy, not just set out by the party in power, if I remember rightly, MPs pay rises are recommended by an independant body. But even so percentage pay increases are an anomaly, 1.9% on say £35000 and 5% on £95 are vastly different in real terms. ie around £660 as opposed to £4-90p

Last edited by jaysay; 15-10-2008 at 09:41.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 09:52   #20
God Member

Does my memory serve me correctly? - in the 50s and maybe even 60s, pay rises were campaigned for in ££££ not %%%%

A percentage rise in a low wage still makes for a low wage.
Whoever started this percentage rise system has just widened the gap between the richest and the poorest

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 10:08   #21
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Willow said that MPs will be able to vote themselves a higher than inflation pay rise to cover themselves. I haven't got the exact figure to hand but I think that this year MPs voted themselves a 1.9% rise in line with other public sector workers, the 7th year in a row that the rise has been lower than inflation.
Thanks Greg. I did say that they are able to, it's nice to know that in spite of being able to they don't intend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Does my memory serve me correctly? - in the 50s and maybe even 60s, pay rises were campaigned for in ££££ not %%%%

Whoever started this percentage rise system has just widened the gap between the richest and the poorest

My working life doesn't extend back that far but I do wholeheartedly agree with you that percentage increases only serve to widen the gap between higher and lower pay. A £1 increase in prices is felt more by a lower paid worker too so to be 'fair' it should be the lower paid that get a higher percentage increase than the higher paid, on a sliding scale. Can't see that going down well with fat cats though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 16:33   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Your quite right Margaret, I can remember when I was an happyrentice, the joiners got 2 pence an hour raise and we got a penny, much fairer, but they don't do it now because how it would look, it don't seem much when an MPs salary raises by 1.9% but if it was put in money terms it looks outragious
Old 15-10-2008, 17:15   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Why what do MP's get paid?
Old 15-10-2008, 19:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m sure that you are right in that assumption but the government passed the act and they can change it if they want to. Or find a new way of calculating inflation so that the ‘new’ figure is much lower than the true one.

In fact the alleged ‘true’ figure isn’t as true as it should be.
You will get about 5.2 -5.5% increase why oh why whatever is happening do you have to moan about it. I got no increase this year just a lump sum one off non consolidated increase of £200 less tax. which equated to about £140. If I was going to get the highest increase in about 17 - 18 years I would be happy.
Old 16-10-2008, 09:51   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why what do MP's get paid?
Be quite honest Neil I just ain't got a clue these days, the figures I used were insidental, just to explain my point. I actually think and MPs pay could be in the region of £50K plus Xes, but if I'm wrong I'm sure some one will correct me
Old 16-10-2008, 10:22   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Be quite honest Neil I just ain't got a clue these days, the figures I used were insidental, just to explain my point. I actually think and MPs pay could be in the region of £50K plus Xes, but if I'm wrong I'm sure some one will correct me

The basic is just over 60k, + expenses & allowances
Old 16-10-2008, 10:45   #27
God Member

It's easier for the goverment to take money from the citizens through inflation than it is through taxes. It's how the Germans got rid of their debt afer the first world war. Yet when taxes increase by pence per year we hit the roof. Bonkers.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 11:27   #28

From 1st April 2008 the annual salary of a Member of Parliament is £63,291. For further information this webpage is quite useful: UK Parliament - Members FAQ Page2
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 11:45   #29
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Inflation at 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
You will get about 5.2 -5.5% increase why oh why whatever is happening do you have to moan about it. I got no increase this year just a lump sum one off non consolidated increase of £200 less tax. which equated to about £140. If I was going to get the highest increase in about 17 - 18 years I would be happy.
If something is wrong I have the right to moan about it if I want to.

There are many other threads where other people have a moan at something but I don’t notice you having a go at them. But there are no ‘brownie points’ to be gained there.
Old 17-10-2008, 21:37   #30
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If something is wrong I have the right to moan about it if I want to.

There are many other threads where other people have a moan at something but I don’t notice you having a go at them. But there are no ‘brownie points’ to be gained there.

Agreed. Seems one or two on here are just waiting to pounce on JB no matter what he says.

He puts a post in about reading meters, someone says he spoils a thread. It was only an observation, only one person commented on it. And it was the first thing that sprang to my mind to be honest. Now we have someone having a go, because he's moaning about this. So what! Isn't that what this forum is partly about, being able to vent your spleen when you want. You never moaned about owt on here stan accy?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..