Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2008, 09:15   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Inflation at 5.5%

It’s just been announced on the news that inflation has risen to 5.5%.

But the good part is that last month inflation was at 4.7% meaning that all government pensions, benefits etc should be increased by 4.7% next April.

What’s the betting the Brown and Darling, the prestidigitators of the Labour party, will find some sneaky way not to pay 4.7%.
Old 14-10-2008, 09:38   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Inflation at 5.5%

Still not sure where they get these figures from.Inflation at Benitowers is running at nearer 30%.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:45   #3
Resident Waffler

Inflation figures can be made to say whatever the government wants to say at the time. They include what suits them. I also find it disgusting that when other people are struggling they can award themselves pay increases above and beyond the level of inflation. Some people don't get increases at all.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 11:11   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Still not sure where they get these figures from.Inflation at Benitowers is running at nearer 30%.
Got to agree Beni, my lecky has gone up by £30 a month alone, looks like I'm on a diet
Old 14-10-2008, 11:13   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It’s just been announced on the news that inflation has risen to 5.5%.

But the good part is that last month inflation was at 4.7% meaning that all government pensions, benefits etc should be increased by 4.7% next April.

What’s the betting the Brown and Darling, the prestidigitators of the Labour party, will find some sneaky way not to pay 4.7%.
Are the benefits not set on the November figures JB always thouht they were, but I maybe wrong
Old 14-10-2008, 11:29   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Inflation at 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Inflation figures can be made to say whatever the government wants to say at the time. They include what suits them. I also find it disgusting that when other people are struggling they can award themselves pay increases above and beyond the level of inflation. Some people don't get increases at all.
Awarding pay increases on a percentage basis is even more obscene and only serves to widen the gap between those who have and also make the rules and those who have not and have to follow the rules.

Whether you earn £50k or £5k the price of goods rises by the same cash amount for everyone.
Old 14-10-2008, 11:32   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Inflation at 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are the benefits not set on the November figures JB always thouht they were, but I maybe wrong
I was always under the impression that September’s inflation figures were those used by the government when calculating the next April’s benefit increases.

No doubt someone will come up with a definitive answer?
Old 14-10-2008, 11:42   #8
God Member

You are right Jam Butty - I found this in old news from 2004
"Inflation for September - the month used for upgrading a range of benefits"
here -
Surprise fall in inflation makes rate rise unlikely - Business News, Business - The Independent

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 12:13   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Inflation at 5.5%

The figure being quoted now is 5.2% for September and the newsreader stated quite clearly that it is this September’s figure that will govern the level of increases next April.

It will be interesting to discover how B & D will wriggle out of it, because surely they will somehow and we will get just 2%. Or in view of the financial climate there will be a freeze on increases.

I can’t remember who it was who introduced this scheme but September was chosen because traditionally it was the month were inflation was always at its lowest for the year.

It would be far fairer if the average inflation for the previous year were used. But then fair is not a word that is in the government’s vocabulary.
Old 14-10-2008, 12:23   #10
God Member

Right again Jam Butty - it shows 5.2% on the official gov site here-
National Statistics Online

They wouldn't dare give us pensioners less than that because Age Concern are lobbying for more

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 12:37   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Right again Jam Butty - it shows 5.2% on the official gov site here-
National Statistics Online

They wouldn't dare give us pensioners less than that because Age Concern are lobbying for more
Oh! Wouldn’t they?

Brown has been throwing money around as if it was confetti and not only is there nothing left in the kitty but National Debt is rapidly approaching £1 trillion. If UK were a Plc the receivers would have been in long ago.

Still we will find out next April.
Old 14-10-2008, 15:14   #12

i am fairly certain that HMG is obliged by THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT to uprate benefits/pensions/allowances in line with the inflation figures for the year ending in september of the previous year.
den the menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 15:30   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
i am fairly certain that HMG is obliged by THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT to uprate benefits/pensions/allowances in line with the inflation figures for the year ending in september of the previous year.
I’m sure that you are right in that assumption but the government passed the act and they can change it if they want to. Or find a new way of calculating inflation so that the ‘new’ figure is much lower than the true one.

In fact the alleged ‘true’ figure isn’t as true as it should be.
Old 14-10-2008, 16:04   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
Not sure what rise in benefits I got this year but I do know that it did not cover the Electric bill rise let alone everything else.I'd rob a bank but I'd be stealing my own money.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:17   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Not sure what rise in benefits I got this year but I do know that it did not cover the Electric bill rise let alone everything else.I'd rob a bank but I'd be stealing my own money.
Ya Beni and you'd probably get caught too, unlike the seasoned crims who seem to be imune

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..