Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 14:01   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Inmates Offered £1,500 To Quit UK Jails!

Apparently, foreign inmates now account for 1 in 7 of the UK prison population. Forgive my naivety, but I don't really see the problem in deporting them. If they're going to be at risk in their country of origin, tough; they should have thought of that before they broke the law. If that transgresses the Human Rights Act, then repeal it; it should be easy enough for the government, as they were the ones who introduced it in 1997. Perhaps supporters of this government could explain the error of my ways to me?
Old 09-11-2007, 15:27   #17
Resting in peace

Quote:
Wynonie Harris, introduced it in 1997. Perhaps supporters of this government could explain the error of my ways to me?
Now that is a real can of worms 'S' I'm keeping it stum on that suggestion. One for Gayle methinks. Talk about "Cast thy bread upon the waters".(Best of luck on Saturday 'I')
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 15:38   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
One for Gayle methinks. Talk about "Cast thy bread upon the waters".(Best of luck on Saturday 'I')
Ah, but as Gayle will doubtless say, just because she supports the local Labour party, it doesn't follow that she supports the national one! Maybe Greg could throw some light on the situation?

PS - Cheers, Ian, here's hoping history repeats itself!
Old 09-11-2007, 16:45   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Why would their own Country put them in jail for something they did here? It does not make sense to me.
Old 09-11-2007, 17:27   #20
God Member

Prisons here cant be that brilliant here, or all the homeless people would commit crime for the sake of a more permenant home. I have never been in a prison, but I remember someone telling me the other day, that they met an ex-convict who said it'd be better to spend a lifetime in prison as a terrorist than a week in prison as a rapist.

I think it was my friend Lydia, as she's working on the Innocence project at the moment and we were discussion how they arent going to be working on rape cases because the tutor doing it with them doesnt seem to agree with women working on rape cases, but both me and my friend thought it was much more important to work on freeing wrongly convicted rapists because it was a very tainting label to be a convicted rapist.

I havent asked her yet what kind of cases they have been set to work on, but I will see what they've been set.

I know that was a bit off topic, but it was meant to be about the quality of life in prison, but it wandered a little.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:30   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Apparently, foreign inmates now account for 1 in 7 of the UK prison population. Forgive my naivety, but I don't really see the problem in deporting them. If they're going to be at risk in their country of origin, tough; they should have thought of that before they broke the law. If that transgresses the Human Rights Act, then repeal it; it should be easy enough for the government, as they were the ones who introduced it in 1997. Perhaps supporters of this government could explain the error of my ways to me?
I think that there are things that blatantly go against the HRA anyway, so I dont see why they dont just deport them to their own prisons too, but I'm sure there is a better reason why they dont do it other than just fear of breaching the HRA.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:48   #22
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Inmates Offered £1,500 To Quit UK Jails!

just deport them dna them first so they cant come backide gladly pay my share of tax payers money
accy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 18:20   #23

They should send them back home to there own place and let there govament deal with them
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 19:21   #24
Resting in peace

Quote:
Ah, but as Gayle will doubtless say, just because she supports the local Labour party, it doesn't follow that she supports the national one! Maybe Greg could throw some light on the situation?

PS - Cheers, Ian, here's hoping history repeats itself!
No it's not the Labour party Gayle supports, It's the fence, by sitting on it..
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 19:23   #25

If you google "facilitated returns scheme", you can read Prison Service Instruction 21/2007, rather than believe what you read in the tabloids. The scheme is open to prisoners who have finished their custodial sentence and are being detained only under immigration powers. The cash they are given is the equivalent of the discharge grant given to British prisoners (currently £46), the rest is given to them in kind in their own country.

Stanleybabe
Old 09-11-2007, 20:06   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
They should send them back home to there own place and let there govament deal with them
Like I said why would they want to punish them at their cost for something they did here?
Old 09-11-2007, 22:46   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleybabe View Post
If you google "facilitated returns scheme", you can read Prison Service Instruction 21/2007, rather than believe what you read in the tabloids. The scheme is open to prisoners who have finished their custodial sentence and are being detained only under immigration powers. The cash they are given is the equivalent of the discharge grant given to British prisoners (currently £46), the rest is given to them in kind in their own country.

Stanleybabe
Fair enough, I can well believe that, as the tabloids are not the most reliable source of balanced news. However, it would still seem logical to me to deport foreign prisoners back to their country of origin. As for the incentive to those countries, offer them the financial equivalent of what it would have cost to jail them over here. It would then free up a fair number of prison places for our own lowlife scum!
Old 11-11-2007, 21:00   #28
God Member

Quote:
Ah, but as Gayle will doubtless say, just because she supports the local Labour party, it doesn't follow that she supports the national one!
Well what do'ya know - you have been listening to me afterall!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:55   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well what do'ya know - you have been listening to me afterall!
Gayle, I don't necessarily always agree with you, but I always listen to you!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..