Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2010, 10:36   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Insult to Muslims

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Get stocked up with powders , jaysay .We agree on many things.
Only time will tell on that one Colin
Old 28-05-2010, 18:36   #137
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Any chance we could welcome the Army to Higher Antley St in about two years time for a bit of target practice?
Don't tell me .Tealeaf ,you don't like those melodic sounds coming out of that loud-speaker.
Whoever it is puts Pavarotti to shame.
I go into ecstasy when I'm passing by at about 1.30.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 17:25   #138
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

France 2 Muslims 0, well Monsewer le Frog is doing it again ! last one was the back end of April & now again today.

Woman fined for driving while wearing burka - Telegraph
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 19:08   #139
God Member

It was made illegal to have blacked out windscreen and front windows, partly because the police couldnt see the driver, so I agree with the fine.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43   #140
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
France 2 Muslims 0, well Monsewer le Frog is doing it again ! last one was the back end of April & now again today.

Woman fined for driving while wearing burka - Telegraph
Say what you will about the French, I personally believe that they have it right.

It's not being racist or hostile to foreigners, it's simply protecting your national identity. There is also the common sense argument about restricted vision which would comfortably find you failing your MOT in Great Britain if your windscreen has cracks within a certain area.

I note that the crucifix has also been banned in state schools so the all-purpose 'racism' card that usually gets played on these occasions doesn't really cut it.

When in Rome....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 09-06-2010 at 06:46.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28   #141
Give, give, give member

(Not only applicable to Muslims, but unworthy of a new thread.)

'Partners or spouses of any migrant living in the UK will also have to demonstrate a basic command of the language before they are allowed in, Theresa May, the Home Secretary, will say.

The new rules are expected to cut the number of foreign partners arriving in the UK by a sixth and could help combat sham marriages.'
Foreign spouses must learn English before they come to UK - Telegraph

If this ends the culture we have now, in which we have every offical form translated into umpteen languages, it can only be a positive step.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41   #142
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
(Not only applicable to Muslims, but unworthy of a new thread.)

'Partners or spouses of any migrant living in the UK will also have to demonstrate a basic command of the language before they are allowed in, Theresa May, the Home Secretary, will say.

The new rules are expected to cut the number of foreign partners arriving in the UK by a sixth and could help combat sham marriages.'
Foreign spouses must learn English before they come to UK - Telegraph

If this ends the culture we have now, in which we have every offical form translated into umpteen languages, it can only be a positive step.
...it'd be a more positive step if it was applied equally to ALL non-English speakers coming to live in the UK.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52   #143
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...it'd be a more positive step if it was applied equally to ALL non-English speakers coming to live in the UK.
Quite agree.

Can't see why it's just being aimed at spouses.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:55   #144
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Quite agree.

Can't see why it's just being aimed at spouses.
Can't see why it's just being aimed at non-EU immigrants myself.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17   #145
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can't see why it's just being aimed at non-EU immigrants myself.
Because It would be against European legislation Wyn, other countries might not enforce this rule but then maybe they don't have the dogooders in other countries who make a song and dance and eventually millions pf pounds in legal aide fighting it through the courts
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26   #146
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Because It would be against European legislation Wyn, other countries might not enforce this rule but then maybe they don't have the dogooders in other countries who make a song and dance and eventually millions pf pounds in legal aide fighting it through the courts
It's all very well blaming "do-gooders", Jaysay, but in the end your party hasn't got the guts to stand up against the iniquities of EU legislation. Your leader slid out of giving us a referendum and your home secretary is a pathetic wimpette.

...and yes, I know you resigned, but once a Tory, always a Tory!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29   #147
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's all very well blaming "do-gooders", Jaysay, but in the end your party hasn't got the guts to stand up against the iniquities of EU legislation. Your leader slid out of giving us a referendum and your home secretary is a pathetic wimpette.

...and yes, I know you resigned, but once a Tory, always a Tory!
We've had this debate before, the time for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty was before it was ratified not now. It would cost thousands of pounds we don't have to tell everybody what we all know would have happened if Labour had kept their manifesto commitment, and had the referendum they promised, a resounding rejection. And as for still being a Tory is that A Tory or a Torlib or just a Lib Think I'll just pass
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32   #148
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And as for still being a Tory is that A Tory or a Torlib or just a Lib Think I'll just pass
Don't pass.

We'll just label you a ConDem.

Last edited by Neil; 09-06-2010 at 12:22. Reason: added a ' :)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51   #149
Super Moderator

Quote:
We've had this debate before, the time for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty was before it was ratified not now. It would cost thousands of pounds we don't have to tell everybody what we all know would have happened if Labour had kept their manifesto commitment, and had the referendum they promised, a resounding rejection. And as for still being a Tory is that A Tory or a Torlib or just a Lib Think I'll just pass
So the boy David's "cast iron promise" wasn't worth a light. Of course, he could have widened the debate by having a referendum on our membership of the EU, but he hasn't got the guts to do that, because he knows what the answer will be!

Incidentally, Jaysay, is that going to be your excuse for the next 5 years? It was the Lib's fault!!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So the boy David's "cast iron promise" wasn't worth a light. Of course, he could have widened the debate by having a referendum on our membership of the EU, but he hasn't got the guts to do that, because he knows what the answer will be!

Incidentally, Jaysay, is that going to be your excuse for the next 5 years? It was the Lib's fault!!
Being a realist Wyn I won't be here that long

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..