Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2010, 19:04   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Insult to Muslims

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i dont see why they shoudlnt be banned as they have absolutely nothing to do with their faith its simply to show respect to their husbands so unless the husbands are going to start wearing them i assume it means they have no respect for their wives.

unless of course somone has an english translation from the quaran handy saying women shoudl cover their faces that is.

alas this topic has been talked about many times here and elswhere and as of yet we have yet to have any government to show any backbone at all and at least ban them in public especially when driving a car
If I remember correctly - the Koran states (bear in mind that there are so many translations of it, and it is all hearsay), women should clothe themselves modestly and cover their hair with veils, asathe sight of it can incite men to lust after them.
It is a long time since i read a translation of it so I may not be totally accurate - do we have any Muslin members who can tell us what is said in the Koran.
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2010, 19:13   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If I remember correctly - the Koran states (bear in mind that there are so many translations of it, and it is all hearsay), women should clothe themselves modestly and cover their hair with veils, asathe sight of it can incite men to lust after them.
It is a long time since i read a translation of it so I may not be totally accurate - do we have any Muslin members who can tell us what is said in the Koran.
"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

There's nothing in the Quran requiring women to cover their heads, arms, or legs. The edicts regarding Hijab were issued by later religious scholars. Just as many rules regarding Christianity came about centuries after it's founder's death.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 19:55   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
southpark has hit the headlines again ...

BBC News - South Park creators warned over Muhammad depiction

i dont watch it ....
good on em i hope they tell the moaners to sod off in much stronger terms its not illigal to draw a picture of mohamhead or even to poke fun at him its just that some decide to get excited and make death threats on behalf of tehir peace loving prophet

edit:

i didnt even need to read teh article to know violence was threatened

Quote:
Islamists have warned the creators of TV show South Park they could face violent retribution for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 22-04-2010 at 19:57.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 18:03   #94
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Not sure if you've all seen this or not, but it looks like France are not just paying lip service about an issue they're actually enforcing a law.

French driver fined for wearing niqab | Reuters

And just underneath the article there's this, quite an interesting attitude but if it'll take effect ?

France wants to apply burqa ban to tourists | Reuters
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 18:13   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
i dont see why they cant because every other law they have is applicable to tourists and if tourists dont like it they can sod off on holiday somewhere else.Besided whos really going to stop france because if europe says no france will stick two fingers up at europe and do it anyway just like they did when testing nukes in the sea lol.A tourist couple have recently been jailed for kissing in public in dubai becaus eit is illigal there so whats teh difference?

its abit of a poor do though isnt it when the french can get it right yet we cant

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 25-04-2010 at 18:15.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 06:56   #96
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

While local councils & Governments tend to worry to much about offending "Minority Groups" they are neglecting the vast majority of Christians, as far as I know UK is still classed as a Christian Country, so instead of worrying about the others what about the other side of the coin ?

Diplomat disciplined over Pope memo is named - Telegraph

But then again we tend not to matter, or so it appears ! How about a bit of balance ?
Old 27-04-2010, 07:12   #97
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

How about a bit of balance ?
Try saying that to Kev the Rev' he is big ot the moment and at least as extreme as any Mullah.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 07:33   #98
Common Sense Member

I'm afraid the problems facing Hyndburn cannot be solved by daily prayer or smoothed over with 'God works in mysterious ways'. We need facts and figures, not blind faith.

I'm not knocking those who find solace in religion but it's the root cause of pretty much every war there's ever been and is no basis for a stable government.

Having read the comments of Mr Logan's flock, it seems that only the most devout Christians will take his party remotely seriously.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 07:38   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm afraid the problems facing Hyndburn cannot be solved by daily prayer or smoothed over with 'God works in mysterious ways'. We need facts and figures, not blind faith.

I'm not knocking those who find solace in religion but it's the root cause of pretty much every war there's ever been and is no basis for a stable government.

Having read the comments of Mr Logan's flock, it seems that only the most devout Christians will take his party remotely seriously.
I thought I had said that in fewer words?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Try saying that to Kev the Rev' he is big ot the moment and at least as extreme as any Mullah.
Are you in training to be one of those long winded Politico types?
Old 27-04-2010, 07:42   #100
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I thought I had said that in fewer words?
Are you in training to be one of those long winded Politico types?
Ooh, get you.

I've had 32 years' training to get to this level, I'll have you know.

Old 27-04-2010, 09:00   #101

Quote:
Ooh, get you.

So, how long before you show signs of improvement? Entry level is a free pass!
Old 27-04-2010, 09:05   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ooh, get you.

And thats only level 1 Ken
Old 03-05-2010, 18:55   #103
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The Burkha Ban planned for France has been further outlined in a leaked memo.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Men face jail over ban on burkha

Belgium are also a step nearer as its been passed in the draft form.
Unveiled - Belgium's burka ban / English News / News / Today / Start - Euranet

Also Holland one of the most relaxed & open minded Countries in Europe are making more noises. But of Course with all this "Anti Muslim Feeling" guess who's up on their hind legs threatening reprisals & the wrath of the righteous ?

"We will seek dreadful revenge on France by all means at our disposal, for the honour of our daughters and sisters."

Last year Al Qaeda vowed revenge on France if it banned the burqa on its streets. Islamic leaders have warned that a law banning veils in the streets could stigmatise Muslims and drive some to extremism.

Now there's a surprise !! Christianity is slated on a regular basis, Judaism also comes in for regular hounding along with virtually every other religion major or minor, but the followers of that faith just live with it, they don't go out threatening death & destruction to the detractors or their peoples. Is it any wonder "Extreme" Muslims come in for such critique ? Lighten up & perhaps we'll be more tolerant !

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 03-05-2010 at 18:59.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Burka Ban planned for France has been further outlined in a leaked memo.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Men face jail over ban on burka

Belgium are also a step nearer as its been passed in the draft form.
Unveiled - Belgium's burka ban / English News / News / Today / Start - Euranet

Also Holland one of the most relaxed & open minded Countries in Europe are making more noises. But of Course with all this "Anti Muslim Feeling" guess who's up on their hind legs threatening reprisals & the wrath of the righteous ?

"We will seek dreadful revenge on France by all means at our disposal, for the honour of our daughters and sisters."

Last year Al Qaeda vowed revenge on France if it banned the burqa on its streets. Islamic leaders have warned that a law banning veils in the streets could stigmatise Muslims and drive some to extremism.

Now there's a surprise !! Christianity is slated on a regular basis, Judaism also comes in for regular hounding along with virtually every other religion major or minor, but the followers of that faith just live with it, they don't go out threatening death & destruction to the detractors or their peoples. Is it any wonder "Extreme" Muslims come in for such critique ? Lighten up & perhaps we'll be more tolerant !
Its a bit like the usual statement about reprisals because USA and GB are killing our muslim brothers and sisters, more muslims kill each other than anything else, look what Saddam did with the Kurds
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35   #105
Common Sense Member

To judge from talking to people in the streets, immigration (illegal or otherwise) is the main concern for the majority of people.

Whether they are palatable observations or not, Muslims have made themselves a target for people venting their spleen by essentially making certain areas of this country unwelcoming to the British.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..