Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2010, 11:59   #121
JFT96

Re: Insult to Muslims

I was working last night, would have gone, I think Sting is on tonight and I am working as well, however on Friday Santana is on, cannot wait. Unless its canceled before then!!!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Neil; 27-05-2010 at 15:14.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2010, 14:36   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Bug@@r I was working last night, would have gone, I think Sting is on tonight and I am working as well, however on Friday Santana is on, cannot wait. Unless its canceled before then!!!
Why BG what can they think up to bash Santana with
Old 27-05-2010, 20:00   #123
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
as far as I know UK is still classed as a Christian Country,
I can't see how it be classed as Christian , Dave.

Re the burqa - When I drove a motor-bike , there were notices on post office and bank doors instructing me to remove my helmet in case I was a robber hiding my identity.
It seems only fair that ladies with their identity hidden should have to do likewise.

Last edited by Neil; 28-05-2010 at 13:59. Reason: fixed quote
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 04:08   #124
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
According to the latest census & various other studies, around 70% state their faith (in UK) to one of the Christian denominations. The rest is made up from other faiths with varying numbers of followers/believers/non believers.

Hence the statement "As far as I know,UK is still classed as a Christian Country"

DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 04:41   #125
God Member

Quote:
Oh Dear, looks like they're music critics too !

Elton John concert upsets Morocco's Muslim politicians - Telegraph

Talk about double standards !!
He'll have a better welcome here in Kingston when he plays the K-Rock Centre in July ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 04:58   #126
God Member

Quote:

According to the latest census & various other studies, around 70% state their faith (in UK) to one of the Christian denominations. The rest is made up from other faiths with varying numbers of followers/believers/non believers.

Hence the statement "As far as I know,UK is still classed as a Christian Country"
Think the 70% figure is misleading , it would be more interesting to know how many of todays 'Youf' were ever baptised/Christened , or infact how many of their parents were married in a "proper' Church.
Probabaly a thread wander , but , Just one look at the weekly obituarys in the Accrington Observer tells a story ..."the service was carried out by a "Humanist" minister "......... Wiccan, Zorastrian , Buddist , Hindu , Muslim I can understand .... but someone please explain what a Humanist is ....

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 05:38   #127
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
someone please explain what a Humanist is ....
According to the tin SJ :-

Humanism

Humanism is the view that we can make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values and that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs.
Humanists seek to make the best of the one life we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves. We choose to take responsibility for our actions and work with others for the common good.
Humanists do not believe in a God or gods, or any other supernatural or divine entities. Humanists do not think that the universe needs a divine power outside of itself in order to have value. We, inside the universe, determine its value. We think that other people, for example, are moral concerns, not because they are made in the image of Something Else, but because of who they are in themselves.

And you can even find out if you are one Have fun !!

Are you a Humanist?

Last edited by Neil; 28-05-2010 at 14:00. Reason: fixed quote
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 06:32   #128
God Member

Quote:
According to the tin SJ :-

Humanism

Humanism is the view that we can make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values and that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs.
Humanists seek to make the best of the one life we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves. We choose to take responsibility for our actions and work with others for the common good.
Humanists do not believe in a God or gods, or any other supernatural or divine entities. Humanists do not think that the universe needs a divine power outside of itself in order to have value. We, inside the universe, determine its value. We think that other people, for example, are moral concerns, not because they are made in the image of Something Else, but because of who they are in themselves.

Are you a Humanist?
Nah ... can't agree with the whole definitiion ... The first part: "Humanism is ...." , I can agree with; but, from there, things go downhill real fast.

Last edited by Neil; 28-05-2010 at 14:01. Reason: yep you guessed it I fixed another quote
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:33   #129
God Member

I have no religion, but believe I have a soul and a spirit, so I don't fit the humanist description.

Spiritual belief and religion are not the same.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:39   #130
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Are you a Humanist?
You are an absolute ace hole...

Oh, no, not you Dave, that's what my score was!

Last edited by Neil; 28-05-2010 at 14:01. Reason: fixed quote again
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 08:52   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Re the burqa - When I drove a motor-bike , there were notices on post office and bank doors instructing me to remove my helmet in case I was a robber hiding my identity.
It seems only fair that ladies with their identity hidden should have to do likewise.[/quote]
It took me 5 minutes to reply to this post as I had to take a powder, I actually agree with JCB

Last edited by Neil; 28-05-2010 at 14:03. Reason: fixed quote
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 08:55   #132
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It took me 5 minutes to reply to this post as I had to take a powder, I actually agree with JCB
That was the easy part, how many powders would you have to take if he actually agreed with you?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 09:32   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That was the easy part, how many powders would you have to take if he actually agreed with you?

Sod off Less
Old 28-05-2010, 10:01   #134
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Spiritual belief and religion are not the same.
I'm with you on that one Margaret.
Old 28-05-2010, 10:04   #135
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Get stocked up with powders , jaysay .We agree on many things.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..