Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 10:34   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It is ignorant, ill conceived and ill thought out and is no more than an electoral sop the local Pakistanis for their votes.

I do wonder, though now that HBC has a foreign policy, will we get an army? We may well certainly need some nuclear weapons because I am quite certain that Accy's name is now dirt in the corridors of power in New Delhi and you never know, some of those Indian nukes may well be aimed at us as well as Pakistan
Perhaps now Hyndburn's a major force to be reckoned with on the international world stage, it'll tackle the appalling human rights abuses occurring in Pakistan, at the next full meeting of our council.

Pakistan | Amnesty International

Let's all hold our breath, and see if they do.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 13:37   #17
God Member

sorry to skip back a little here but did someone say we had been awarded city status ?

surely not as blackburn have been trying for years and they have a cathederal which is one of the main things that classes you as a city isnt it ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:39   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
sorry to skip back a little here but did someone say we had been awarded city status ?

surely not as blackburn have been trying for years and they have a cathederal which is one of the main things that classes you as a city isnt it ?
Yeh but Hyndburns got quite a few Mosques.
Old 13-11-2011, 13:49   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:

No, sorry, the website carrying international news, mistakenly said city council, instead of borough.

Perhaps any new, monumental bus station can also double as a cathedral...so watch this space.

Old 13-11-2011, 15:09   #20
God Member

well if this is a sign of how things are going to be run by a labor council then i dont see a labor council been a thing of the future.We got a labor council that seems to think issues abroad are their concern and a labor MP that thinks his judgment call is more important than his constituants.

I just hope our labor run council dont start throwing money abroad.

When i voted labor both local and noational this is not what i was expecting .

Its like backing 2 horses in a race and both falling at the first hurdle

both need to get their act together and concentrate more on the people they were elected to represent

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Neil; 13-11-2011 at 16:13.
Old 13-11-2011, 15:18   #21
God Member

Quote:
well if this is a sign of how things are going to be run by a labor council then i dont see a labor council been a thing of the future.We got a labor council that seems to think issues abroad are their concern and a labor MP that thinks his judgment call is more important than his constituants.

I just hope our labor run council dont start throwing money abroad.

When i voted labor both local and noational this is not what i was expecting .

Its like backing 2 horses in a race and both falling at the first hurdle

both need to get their act together and concentrate more on the people they were elected to represent

Not to mention the issue was proposed by a member of the council who clearly wanted his bit of self indulgence with an issue totally unrelevant to Hyndburn, the motion was seconded by Peter Britcliffe who recently walked out of a meeting becuase he didn't think the speaker was relevant to a council meeting.

sometimes word fail me

Last edited by Neil; 13-11-2011 at 16:14.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:19   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not to mention the issue was proposed by a member of the council who clearly wanted his bit of self indulgence with an issue totally unrelevant to Hyndburn, the motion was seconded by Peter Britcliffe who recently walked out of a meeting becuase he didn't think the speaker was relevant to a council meeting.

sometimes word fail me
That irony didn't pass me by, either.

Old 13-11-2011, 16:15   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That irony didn't pass me by, either.
I also find it amusing that one party is getting a bashing for something proposed by another.
Old 13-11-2011, 16:24   #24
God Member

I guess the buck stops with those who are in power.

Old 13-11-2011, 16:26   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I also find it amusing that one party is getting a bashing for something proposed by another.
I think this ludicrous.

I only mentioned it's the sort of thing I last experienced in the eighties, whilst living under loony Labour run councils, in both Liverpool, and London's Lambeth.

I don't remember posting blame on any particular person, or party.

The whole of Hyndburn Borough Council has been blighted by this stupid action.

Old 13-11-2011, 16:49   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well as I was once told by an eminent Labour councillor, "we are in control and we take the credit", think that works both ways Neil, Labour had to back it or it would have been out voted, I think I seem to remember they have an overall majority now
Old 13-11-2011, 16:51   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'Dr Misfar Hassan, the County Councillor who lobbied the Labour group for this resolution expressed gratitude to the Leader of the Labour group Mr Miles Parkinson, Councillor Munsif Dad, Councillor Ciaran Wells, Councillor M Ayub and all members of the Labour Group in the Hyndburn Council for supporting the resolution.'

'Dr Misfar also congratulated and thanked the Councillors of the Conservative group including Councillor Allah Dad, County Councillor Muhammad Younis and member councillors of the conservative group for supporting the resolution.'

UK City Council supports ‘Kashmiris' Right to Self determination’ | GroundReport

After this charade the whole council will appear to be pots for bloody bluebells.

Old 13-11-2011, 17:12   #28
Give, give, give member

As I say, now H.B.C. has involved itself in international politics, I look foward to them also condemning the truly horrific human rights abuses, carried out daily in Pakistan, as well as, to quote Pakistan's Daily Times newspaper, the 'endemic corruption in political and official circles', which I'm sure H.B.C. will be similarly keen to tackle, and hopefully sort out for them.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Pakistan Human Rights | Amnesty International USA

Old 13-11-2011, 17:22   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As I say, now H.B.C. has involved itself in international politics, I look foward to them also condemning the truly horrific human rights abuses, carried out daily in Pakistan, as well as, to quote Pakistan's Daily Times newspaper, the 'endemic corruption in political and official circles', which I'm sure H.B.C. will be similarly keen to tackle, and hopefully sort out for them.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Pakistan Human Rights | Amnesty International USA
Me thinks a huge can of political worms has been opened
Old 13-11-2011, 17:44   #30
Give, give, give member

Phew, panic over.

This isn't a new, shameful attempt to secure votes.

It's been going on for a while.

'HYNDBURN'S Kashmiri community is to be officially recognised as a separate ethnic group by its local council.
Of the 6,000 people in Hyndburn who would class themselves as Asian, 70 per cent would prefer to be known as Kashmiri.
Manager of the Scaitliffe Community Centre in Accrington, Munsif Dad said: "We hope that recognition will mean council services can be better directed to the needs of the Kashmiri community."
Ethnic status given to Kashmiris | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Personally I'd like to see a council that encourages unity, and the idea that first, and foremost, we are all Hyndburnians, and all seen as being equal, especially in the eyes of our local government.

I know. Stupid. Sorry.

Just the daft musings of an unworldly idealist.

It'll never happen.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..