Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 21:38   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
How long will it be before they want self determination over here for all the different groups.
What will become of Bradford, Burnley, Birmingham, separate states etc, they've already got to much shout on councils up and down the country.
Retlaw.
No Retlaw, think more like an 'Internationlist'.

We'll all be living together, one big happy family, residing in a lovely multi-national homeland, called the United States of Europe.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 21:43   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He'll be back.

So will I.

Asking the same question.

Old 13-11-2011, 21:44   #48
God Member

Quote:
Phew, panic over.

This isn't a new, shameful attempt to secure votes.

It's been going on for a while.

'HYNDBURN'S Kashmiri community is to be officially recognised as a separate ethnic group by its local council.
Of the 6,000 people in Hyndburn who would class themselves as Asian, 70 per cent would prefer to be known as Kashmiri.
Manager of the Scaitliffe Community Centre in Accrington, Munsif Dad said: "We hope that recognition will mean council services can be better directed to the needs of the Kashmiri community."
Ethnic status given to Kashmiris | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Personally I'd like to see a council that encourages unity, and the idea that first, and foremost, we are all Hyndburnians, and all seen as being equal, especially in the eyes of our local government.

I know. Stupid. Sorry.

Just the daft musings of an unworldly idealist.

It'll never happen.
agreed, just wondering where they got their massive christmas trees i seen this morning
Old 14-11-2011, 05:46   #49
God Member

And while the HBC is feeling internationalist, why don't they pass a motion expressing solidarity with their brothers and sisters in the outports of Newfoundland and Labrador by supporting the annual seal hunt

I can see it now. Busman on his way home thinking: "Now, if only I had some chips to go with that slab of seal flipper pie I have in the fridge"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 07:26   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And while the HBC is feeling internationalist, why don't they pass a motion expressing solidarity with their brothers and sisters in the outports of Newfoundland and Labrador by supporting the annual seal hunt
There is clearly now an urgent need for the Council to appoint a new cabinet post - Cabinet Member with responsibility for Foreign Affairs. They could become a sort of Henry Kissinger character, roaming the globe visiting trouble spots and solving potentially explosive situations with their tact and diplomacy.

Who knows, if Hyndburn had been involved in Iraq under Saddam Hussein, we might have known there were no weapons of mass destruction.....

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 07:34   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
There is clearly now an urgent need for the Council to appoint a new cabinet post - Cabinet Member with responsibility for Foreign Affairs. They could become a sort of Henry Kissinger character, roaming the globe visiting trouble spots and solving potentially explosive situations with their tact and diplomacy.

Who knows, if Hyndburn had been involved in Iraq under Saddam Hussein, we might have known there were no weapons of mass destruction.....

You mean H.B.C. should employ someone like Tony Blair, who wanders from one international location to another, brokering peace deals, and generally spreading love, and harmony, whilst sorting out the world's trouble spots?

Good idea.

Local people do worry our local council isn't doing enough for the problems faced...by people in other countries.

Old 14-11-2011, 07:43   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Also, if Hyndburn Borough Council had only tinkered in South African politics at that time, I'm sure that chap from Nelson, would have been enjoying his Long Walk To Freedom, many, many years earlier than he did.

Old 14-11-2011, 08:01   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So why did the Labour councillors support the resolution? Why didn't they chuck it out and inform the opposition that they should indeed focus on Hyndburn issues?
Oh come on Wyn if he could he'd blame the removal of the benches on the Tory's, it what he does, its what he's always done, and its what he'll always do, like the rest of his ilk, no doubt the huge debt this country is in is all down to those nasty Tories
Old 14-11-2011, 08:05   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Watched a film yesterday call the Green Zone, that was all about the none excitant WMDs
Old 14-11-2011, 08:07   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You mean H.B.C. should employ someone like Tony Blair, who wanders from one international location to another, brokering peace deals, and generally spreading love, and harmony, whilst sorting out the world's trouble spots?

Good idea.

Local people do worry our local council isn't doing enough for the problems faced...by people in other countries.
And don't forget Tony is doing all this out of goods of his wallet
Old 14-11-2011, 09:45   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And don't forget Tony is doing all this out of goods of his wallet
I'm sure H.B.C. could find some extra money, from somewhere, to fund a world wandering, international Hyndburn peace envoy.

In fact, knowing how important an issue this is for local residents, folk would probably be willing to double the amount of council tax they pay, just to fund it.

Old 14-11-2011, 10:05   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
folk would probably be willing to double the amount of council tax they pay, just to fund it.
...or better still, close the Peel Street toilets and use the money saved to appoint an international envoy.

After all, why canīt folk use the upstairs toilets in the Market Hall? Small price to pay for World Peace.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 10:08   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
...or better still, close the Peel Street toilets and use the money saved to appoint an international envoy.

After all, why canīt folk use the upstairs toilets in the Market Hall? Small price to pay for World Peace.
Think they may have stared that already Gynn,was down back end of last week one afternoon n they were closed.lancsdave will probably know what day.
Old 14-11-2011, 10:14   #59
God Member

Quote:
I'm sure H.B.C. could find some extra money, from somewhere, to fund a world wandering, international Hyndburn peace envoy.
I propose Cashy to be the International Peace Envoy for HBC.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 10:16   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I propose Cashy to be the International Peace Envoy for HBC.
Ya mite have used a smiley after that T

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..