Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2011, 13:07   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

For every lobbyist, there's another, lobbying for their rights.

There are two sides, to every story.

This isn't a straightforward issue.

Besides it not being H.B.C.'s job, to be adding their weight to any lobbyist's international cause, by adopting resolutions supporting anyone, they're even more out of order, by deciding on our behalf, to get involved at all, with such a contentious, and controversial issue, such as this.

They've brought shame on themselves, and as they are supposed to represent the borough, and ALL it's people, shame on us too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2011, 13:14   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
For every lobbyist, there's another, lobbying for their rights.

There are two sides, to every story.

This isn't a straightforward issue.
Well, that's my point exactly. At what point have we discussed with our elected members which way we wish them to vote on this? It wasn't part of their election material and it's not in their manifesto.

I appreciate that the Councillor who brought it up has a vested interest in the issue but were the rest of the Councillor's fully informed and able to make a responsible decision on this, or have they thought to themselves 'oh well, let's support our fellow Councillor because it doesn't really affect us'?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:15   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The really serious question that arises from this is, will we be able to get our cardigans at wholesale prices or will that be a perk held onto by our elected representatives?
As well as a free bag of grit this winter, you'll also be receiving a lovely pashmina, along with every other resident in Hyndburn.

To thank you personally for your support, in the fight for Kasmiri self-determination.

Colours can be specified, by choosing an option, on the council's website, in the 'international causes' section.

Old 14-11-2011, 13:22   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well, that's my point exactly. At what point have we discussed with our elected members which way we wish them to vote on this? It wasn't part of their election material and it's not in their manifesto.

I appreciate that the Councillor who brought it up has a vested interest in the issue but were the rest of the Councillor's fully informed and able to make a responsible decision on this, or have they thought to themselves 'oh well, let's support our fellow Councillor because it doesn't really affect us'?
I'm sure the vast majority of residents will think our local council has no business at all adopting resolutions, concerning any international causes.

Especially such a politically sensitive one, such as this.

Which they've now formally adopted a resolution on, on our behalf.

Last edited by garinda; 14-11-2011 at 13:25.
Old 14-11-2011, 13:40   #80
God Member

Does anyone yet know the names of those councillors who voted for this nonsense? Those who voted against? Those who abstained? Or was it unanimous?

The names of those who voted for need to be made public; we need to know who has made this town a laughing stock (at best) and at worse, who is now endorsing terrorism by organistions directly linked to the murder of British and allied troops in Afganistan.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:54   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Does anyone yet know the names of those councillors who voted for this nonsense? Those who voted against? Those who abstained? Or was it unanimous?

The names of those who voted for need to be made public; we need to know who has made this town a laughing stock (at best) and at worse, who is now endorsing terrorism by organistions directly linked to the murder of British and allied troops in Afganistan.
Can't find the minutes online...just yet.

Just the Observer's Twitter feed.

StuartPike78:
Motion from #HBC Coun Allah Dad on atrocities in Kashmir. [via Twitter]
9:01
StuartPike78:
#HBC Cllr Britcliffe says proud to support integrity of Kashmir. [via Twitter]

9:02
StuartPike78:
#HBC Coun Nick Collingridge says motion not balanced and need someone from Indian community to speak for them. [via Twitter]

9:04
StuartPike78:
#HBC Cllr M Dad proposes amendment supporting self determination and the people of Kashmir in Hyndburn. [via Twitter]

9:05
StuartPike78:
#HBC Everyone getting very hot under the collar about motions and amendments. [via Twitter]

9:10
StuartPike78:
#HBC amendment passed. [via Twitter]

Replay: Hyndburn council meeting | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Old 14-11-2011, 14:14   #82
Give, give, give member

Good to see this motion was presented without prejudice, and wasn't in anyway slanted in favour of any particular side, in this conflict.

This just gets more, and more shameful an episode.

Besides the fact we don't damned well want our local council wasting their time, and adopting resolutions connected to controversial international causes.

'Conflict in Kashmir
That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the
atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied
Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in
front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells. Over one
hundred thousand people have been killed since 1989 and very recently Amnesty
International has found a number of mass graves in Kashmir. All this is because the
people of Kashmir want their right of self determination, the right which was recognised by
the United Nations in 1948.
To be moved by: Councillor Allah Dad
To be seconded by: Councillor Peter Britcliffe'
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Council.pdf

Old 14-11-2011, 14:20   #83
God Member

So this time Councillor Britcliffe didn't stage a walkout about local issues but stayed to support a terrorist campaign in Kashmir.

Strange priorities, eh?
Old 14-11-2011, 14:24   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'Conflict in Kashmir
That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the
atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied
Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in
front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells. Over one
hundred thousand people have been killed since 1989 and very recently Amnesty
International has found a number of mass graves in Kashmir. All this is because the
people of Kashmir want their right of self determination, the right which was recognised by
the United Nations in 1948.
To be moved by: Councillor Allah Dad
To be seconded by: Councillor Peter Britcliffe'
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Council.pdf
You'd have thought H.B.C. as a whole would have had the common sense to realise there are two sides to every story, especially in this case, even if Cllr Allah Dad hasn't.

You've been used, and now we all have.

Naive doesn't even come close!

Old 14-11-2011, 14:32   #85
Give, give, give member

Still, if they've all garnered a few more votes, by carrying out this outrageous fiasco in council chambers, all is well.

Old 14-11-2011, 14:34   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Still, if they've all garnered a few more votes, by carrying out this outrageous fiasco in council chambers, all is well.

Whats garnered in one section of society,could well be lost in another? its a funny owd game.
Old 14-11-2011, 14:45   #87
Give, give, give member

I was invited to attend this meeting.

Thankfully I wasn't well enough to get there.

No way on Earth could I have sat there in silence, gob firmly shut, whilst the local council formally adopted this politically biased, prejudiced, resolution.

I'd have been ejected.

Lucky escape.

I'd like to see the names of the councillors who voted this resolution through, posted here too.

If one pops on, they might oblige us, and supply the information.

Old 14-11-2011, 16:13   #88
Senior Member+

I can guess exactlly what happened. If I know nothing else, I know how HBC works.

The Councillor in question put forward the motion (which incidentally came between bin collections and dog fouling.) Both party leaders saw it as political dynamite not to support it, even though nobody had the faintest idea what the true facts are about Kashmiri independence. The threats of being accused as racist or anti-minority population are too great. So everybody is immediately treading on eggshells.

The motion is put, one or two heads are put above the parapet to suggest amendments, but overall everybody holds their breath, votes it through and moves on to dog fouling. (Something we can all speak with a passion about).

It explains why no councillors have been on this website defending what they voted for, because the fact is they haven't a clue what the facts are.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:42   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
IIt explains why no councillors have been on this website defending what they voted for, because the fact is they haven't a clue what the facts are.
I'd certainly concur with that. I doubt if most of the current mob of councillors could find Kashmir on the map; it would not surprise me if some of 'em thought it was somewhere in Burnley.

Ignorance is no excuse, however for what they did. I doubt if the decision could now be reversed, so possibly our illustrious councillors can now consider the ramifications of what they have done. The other party to Kashmir is of course India. That country is now one of the largest investors into the UK - only last week, a further 1000 jobs were announced as a result of additional investment into Jaguar-Land Rover. There are numerous other examples around the UK.

I doubt very much though, that Indian businessmen will now be looking at Hyndburn to make their investments. That’s a shame, because the town could certainly do with the jobs. We're certainly not going to get them from Pakistan, because that economy is a basket case and much of the money we do give 'em as aid ends up paying for terrorist activity in Kashmir.
Old 14-11-2011, 17:02   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I doubt if the decision could now be reversed
It always used to be that Council resolutions could not be changed for six months. I think it is still the same.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..