Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2011, 16:31   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
More likely you'll have a fatwah issued against you
By saying I don't support any particular faction, and condemn the horrific acts of violence carried out by ALL sides in this conflict?

I'll take this risk.

I'm sure H.B.C. will offer me sanctuary if that happens.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2011, 16:33   #122
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
More likely you'll have a fatwah issued against you
Though the only replies I've had so far, have been from Indian newspapers.

Odd, that.

Old 15-11-2011, 17:54   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Does it come with chips?
And curry sauce
Old 15-11-2011, 19:08   #124
Give, give, give member

Dailymotion - Pakistani terrorism in Kashmir 1 of 2 - a News & Politics video

Dailymotion - Pakistani terrorism in Kashmir 2 of 2 - a News & Politics video

Interesting films about this conflict.

Last edited by garinda; 15-11-2011 at 19:11.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:55   #125
Give, give, give member

Four replies now.

All from India.

None from newspapers in Pakistan.

Strange, that.

Old 15-11-2011, 23:10   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Four replies now.

All from India.

None from newspapers in Pakistan.

Strange, that.

You just make sure that when you reply in turn, you make them fully aware of exactly how unrepresentative HBC is of the people they so falsely purport to represent and the extent to which the same spineless and gutless jokers have kow-towed to an extremist minority.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 23:46   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You just make sure that when you reply in turn, you make them fully aware of exactly how unrepresentative HBC is of the people they so falsely purport to represent and the extent to which the same spineless and gutless jokers have kow-towed to an extremist minority.
I will, though when earlier today I wrote to all the leading Pakistani and Indian newspapers, stating that this wasn't done in my name, and sending a link to one of the news agencies now carrying this international story, I did mention that I was one of the 76,221 Hyndburn residents, who don't 'identify themselves as Kashmiri'.

Apparently they number 4,200.

Ethnic status given to Kashmiris | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

So presumably, our council voted to officially support this resolution in their name.

Even though the 4,200 are residents in Hyndburn, just the same as everyone else, and I thought the council said we are all supposed to be equal.

So you'd have thought Hyndburn Borough Council would be encouraging us all to identify, first and foremost, as Hyndburnians, seeing as they our local council.

Being so divisive doesn't foster thoughts of equalness.

Last edited by garinda; 15-11-2011 at 23:50.
Old 16-11-2011, 01:43   #128
God Member

Quote:
I will, though when earlier today I wrote to all the leading Pakistani and Indian newspapers, stating that this wasn't done in my name, and sending a link to one of the news agencies now carrying this international story, I did mention that I was one of the 76,221 Hyndburn residents, who don't 'identify themselves as Kashmiri'.

So presumably, our council voted to officially support this resolution in their name.

Even though the 4,200 are residents in Hyndburn, just the same as everyone else, and I thought the council said we are all supposed to be equal.

So you'd have thought Hyndburn Borough Council would be encouraging us all to identify, first and foremost, as Hyndburnians, seeing as they our local council.

Mmmmm .... "what it means to be a Kashmiri living in Hyndburn" ... let me think about this one Maybe it means you are a hell of a lot better off than a Kashmiri living in Kashmir .... kind of a no brainer, eh
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:38   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No T what I was saying was the the Kashmiri question was being talked about in 91 not a resolution
Ken Hargreaves presented a petition about it in 1992.

Mr Kenneth Hargreaves, former MP, Hyndburn - TheyWorkForYou

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:25   #130
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

He did, as did Greg Pope, who added his name to various Kashmiri lobbyist group's campaigns.

Shameful isn't it?

Taking sides, when appalling acts of terrorism, and human rights abuses, have been carried out by all opposing factions in this dispute.

Just because politicans of both major parties have pandered to a minority of Hyndburn residents, who according to themselves,' identify as Kashmiri', does not make it right.

In my eyes, it most certainly is not right.

As stated, I support none of the warring factions, this resolution was not adopted in my name, and I totally condemn the attrocities carried out on both sides.

Last edited by garinda; 16-11-2011 at 06:27.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:33   #131
God Member

I don't advocate sitting on the fence normally but it's best to leave certain things well alone if they are outside your competence. International affairs belong in the Central Government.

Since there are so many factions involved and the shadow of terrorism is very real and constant in this case it is not wise to take too strong a stance on one side, leave diplomatic affairs to those who are well versed in them. Local affairs for a local council -not that difficult, avoid the firing line!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:41   #132
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Some, who voted they represent them in Westminster, might expect their M.P. to have an interest in intermational issues.

I'm yet to meet anyone who thinks it right that a local borough council involve itself in controversial matters, thousands of miles outside the borough's boundary, in other countries.

Nor do I know anyone who agrees it's right that local councils be so easily duped, by those who might have a vested interest, so their official support can then be used as propaganda

Old 16-11-2011, 09:37   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well I always thought that when people came from overseas to settle in this country was to improve there lives, not carry on banging on about what is happening back home, to me if they were that concerned why not stay home and help change things from the inside not the outside looking in, just my thoughts on the matter
Old 16-11-2011, 09:41   #134
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Some, who voted they represent them in Westminster, might expect their M.P. to have an interest in intermational issues.

I'm yet to meet anyone who thinks it right that a local borough council involve itself in controversial matters, thousands of miles outside the borough's boundary, in other countries.

Nor do I know anyone who agrees it's right that local councils be so easily duped, by those who might have a vested interest, so their official support can then be used as propaganda
Ya I remember Ken being involved with this, but he was taking it up on behalf of certain constituents, which actually is what he's was elected to do, but why the council singles out a small group for special treatment is very strange to me
Old 17-11-2011, 16:19   #135
Give, give, give member

An interesting read.

AFSPA revocation: Where angels fear to tread : Gaurav C. Sawant - Headlines Today Blogs

Proving there are always two sides to every story.

Everywhere except in our council chambers here in Hyndburn, it would appear.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..