Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 09:00   #1
Give, give, give member

Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Good to know the council are spending their valuable time, trying to sort out the problems we have here in Hyndburn.

UK City Council supports ‘Kashmiris' Right to Self determination’ | GroundReport

Perhaps at the next full meeting of the council, we'll be declared a nuclear free zone, or it's decided that we're going to be sponsoring a Save The Whale programme in Nicaragua.

Nice to note we've been awarded city status though.

Still, as long as they have their priorities in order, that's all that matters.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 09:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Yeh can't expect tory councillors to know the difference.
Old 13-11-2011, 09:06   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh can't expect tory councillors to know the difference.
Would appear its been approved by full council, let me see, Hyndburn a Labour Council, isn't it
Old 13-11-2011, 09:08   #4
Resting in Peace

No doubt, as a gesture, HBC will provide benches in some city centres so the poor impoverished citizen can lest their weary legs while out shopping
Old 13-11-2011, 09:13   #5
Senior Member+

Was there a rider to the HBC resolution supporting Kashmiri independence, to the effect that it doesn't apply on Wednesday afternoons?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:20   #6
Give, give, give member

Yes, sod the abundance of empty shops in Hyndburn, and alcoholics being allowed to carry on supping in a drinks free zone, where do we stand on the defeat of the Tamil Tigers' fight for an independent state in Sri Lanka?

These are the sort of issues upmost on most residents' minds. That we'd much prefer our local councillors were busy addressing.

Old 13-11-2011, 09:28   #7
Give, give, give member

Shoulder pads, Jason Donovan, ra-ra skirts, loony left councils.

Yes, the eighties are back.

Old 13-11-2011, 09:33   #8
God Member

We should all be concerned about the reasons for this

Quote:
“The people of Jammu and Kashmir want to live peacefully with their neighbouring countries
I share Cllr Dad's views that the Welsh and Scots should behave themselves
Old 13-11-2011, 09:35   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No doubt, as a gesture, HBC will provide benches in some city centres so the poor impoverished citizen can lest their weary legs while out shopping
As a cultural exchange in thanks for the support of HBC they will be sending a selection of comfy armchairs to be dotted around the town center, and people be will wearing garlands to replace the flower towers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armchairs.jpg (9.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Garlands.jpg (8.3 KB, 6 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 13-11-2011 at 09:35. Reason: Photos from their Facebook page
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:37   #10
God Member

Ironically Rule Brittania is now being played at the Cenotaph.
Old 13-11-2011, 09:40   #11
Beacon of light

I think they should change the word to 'Fool Britannia'....because I think that is what the world really thinks of us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:43   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We should all be concerned about the reasons for this

I share Cllr Dad's views that the Welsh and Scots should behave themselves
Yes, it's not very nice, or friendly, when they stand on Offa's Dyke, and Hadrian's Wall, shouting taunts, and showing off about their free prescriptions, no tuition fees, and free care for the elderly etc., is it?

When are Hyndburn Borough councillors going to broker a peace deal, between the various warring factions?

Old 13-11-2011, 10:19   #13
God Member

This is the full text of the motion submitted to and passed by the council on 10th November:

"..That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the
atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied
Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in
front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells. Over one
hundred thousand people have been killed since 1989 and very recently Amnesty
International has found a number of mass graves in Kashmir. All this is because the
people of Kashmir want their right of self determination, the right which was recognised by
the United Nations in 1948.
To be moved by: Councillor Allah Dad
To be seconded by: Councillor Peter Britcliffe
3. Dog.."

Can anyone please point to any evidence of atrocities committed by Indian Forces in Kashmir? The only atrocities that I am aware of committed in that region over the last few years are those committed by Pakistani and Afgan nationals. So exactly what are the members of HBC doing passing motions such as this? It is ignorant, ill conceived and ill thought out and is no more than an electoral sop the local Pakistanis for their votes.

I do wonder, though now that HBC has a foreign policy, will we get an army? We may well certainly need some nuclear weapons because I am quite certain that Accy's name is now dirt in the corridors of power in New Delhi and you never know, some of those Indian nukes may well be aimed at us as well as Pakistan
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 10:23   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is the full text of the motion submitted to and passed by the council on 10th November:

"..That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the
atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied
Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in
front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells. Over one
hundred thousand people have been killed since 1989 and very recently Amnesty
International has found a number of mass graves in Kashmir. All this is because the
people of Kashmir want their right of self determination, the right which was recognised by
the United Nations in 1948.
To be moved by: Councillor Allah Dad
To be seconded by: Councillor Peter Britcliffe
3. Dog.."

Can anyone please point to any evidence of atrocities committed by Indian Forces in Kashmir? The only atrocities that I am aware of committed in that region over the last few years are those committed by Pakistani and Afgan nationals. So exactly what are the members of HBC doing passing motions such as this? It is ignorant, ill conceived and ill thought out and is no more than an electoral sop the local Pakistanis for their votes.

I do wonder, though now that HBC has a foreign policy, will we get an army? We may well certainly need some nuclear weapons because I am quite certain that Accy's name is now dirt in the corridors of power in New Delhi and you never know, some of those Indian nukes may well be aimed at us as well as Pakistan
I know thats not all true T, the 3rd woudn't be a dog as asians don't like dogs they think they're unclean
Old 13-11-2011, 10:31   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I know thats not all true T, the 3rd woudn't be a dog as asians don't like dogs they think they're unclean
That's a reference to the third motion about dog fouling - another load of chyte.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..