Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2012, 18:03   #46

Re: Internet damages the brain!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Unfortunately some people believe everything they see on YouTube is true and struggle to separate the truth from the ramblings of mad men.
The same could be said about the TV? in fact I use the net for the news cause i don't trust BBC , SKY , ITV etc , they don't paint a true picture with what is going on imo

The net expands peoples knowledge & that surely is a good thing ? How can it be damaging?
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2012, 18:05   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Then his parents should be more discriminating about his activities.
I personally see no harm in children learning technology, its the age we live in.

My 2 year old can unlock my Iphone, and select things that amuse him, believe it or not some things can be IMO educational. He can also control and use a mouse, again IMO this is good.

My daughter enjoys using the internet, in fact her school encourage the use.

Peel Park Moodle

As for the thread title the internet damages the brain, I disagree.
Old 14-03-2012, 18:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I personally see no harm in children learning technology, its the age we live in.

My 2 year old can unlock my Iphone, and select things that amuse him, believe it or not some things can be IMO educational. He can also control and use a mouse, again IMO this is good.

My daughter enjoys using the internet, in fact her school encourage the use.

Peel Park Moodle

As for the thread title the internet damages the brain, I disagree.
I see no harm as well fella , as long as parental locks are on & an eye is kept on em ... all is good imo
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:15   #49
Beacon of light

While there is some evidence that the use of computers/media devices/computer games, can affect developing brains, then I think it must be used with caution in the very young.

Certainly, teens and young adults seem to be more interested in texting their friends than having a face to face conversation....this cannot be useful when developing interpersonal skills.

I have friends who are parents of teenagers, and they tell me that they get little more than grunts in the way of conversation from their children....and you might say that it was like that in your day...well, it wasn't in mine.

Like all things...moderation is the key.........and a modicum of parental control.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-03-2012 at 19:18.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:15   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
why spend time worrying about something you can't do out about
Love this chart:

Worry_diagram.jpg

As for the Internet, admit to being an addict and totally obsessed.

It lets me make a point without being interrupted; allows me a choice of direction; has no physical demands on me; expects nothing in return; puts me in charge of the 'remote' and leads me to climaxes with the correct solutions and satisfaction...

On the minus side, am always burning my tea whilst watching an interesting thread unfold (not Accyweb though ... only joking Roy, honest).
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:07   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is censored.

Unfortunately some people believe everything they see on YouTube is true and struggle to separate the truth from the ramblings of mad men.
The issue is that you said everything on the Internet is censored just like the TV - but its not. Just because someone can put mad ramblings on, doesn't mean everything else on You Tube is also the ramblings of the deranged!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:10   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
As we've seen by stuff linked on here
Especially your posts!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:08   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I see no harm as well fella , as long as parental locks are on & an eye is kept on em ... all is good imo
The only problem there Wrighty is we know that doesn't happen it a hell of a lot of household because some parents don't give a toss so long as their kids are out of their hair
Old 15-03-2012, 09:24   #54
God Member

Quote:
The only problem there Wrighty is we know that doesn't happen it a hell of a lot of household because some parents don't give a toss so long as their kids are out of their hair
Where children are subject to careless parenting it is better for everyone else that they are at home watching TV or playing games on the web, rather than out in the community committing anti social behaviour.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:29   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Where children are subject to careless parenting it is better for everyone else that they are at home watching TV or playing games on the web, rather than out in the community committing anti social behaviour.
Margaret its probably a progression from one to the other, looking for something better after getting bored with playing games

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..