Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2008, 17:34   #16
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Is Chivalry Dead

I agrre with the above that the rush, rush, rush, of today's society seems to be more about self-service then thoughts of others. I've noticed both nice kids and adults that I know walk right by someone struggling with a large bag of dog food, etc., trying to lift it into the trunk or backseat of their cars. Most often it is they are either on a cellphone (ugh) or deep in LA LA land.

I do make it a point when I'm out with my 15 year old son about holding doors and to be concious of folks who may need assistance. NOt being a "town guy" didn't realize the walking on the outside of the sidewalk bit!

Be Well, be kind eh?,

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2008, 18:19   #17

I make a real effort to be chivalrous... I know I am in the minority of my generation in doing so... I just femininity still existed, it isn't sexist for a man to hold a door open and carry bags, just as it isn't a sign of oppression for a woman to speak politely and dress conservatively. There is more empowerment in being a lady than there is walking around all but naked... god I'm the worst 18 year old lad ever aren't I...
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 18:25   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
I make a real effort to be chivalrous... I know I am in the minority of my generation in doing so... I just femininity still existed, it isn't sexist for a man to hold a door open and carry bags, just as it isn't a sign of oppression for a woman to speak politely and dress conservatively. There is more empowerment in being a lady than there is walking around all but naked... god I'm the worst 18 year old lad ever aren't I...
If I understand that right = look like a lady should and you are more likely to inspire chivalry.
That sounds realistic - If you look like a slobbish slag do you really deserve respectful conduct?
I'll go along with that

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 18:37   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good on yer samf.
Old 18-09-2008, 18:40   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Is Chivalry Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If I understand that right = look like a lady should and you are more likely to inspire chivalry.
That sounds realistic - If you look like a slobbish slag do you really deserve respectful conduct?
I'll go along with that
So a person’s character, personality and behaviour don’t come into your equation?

That’s rather sad.

A nice new coat of paint won’t stop a fence from falling down if it is rotten.
Old 18-09-2008, 18:42   #21
God Member

I think chivalry is ok in small doses but I think it degrades men. Why should they feel the need to serve us? Why can't the woman hold the door open for once or carry her own shopping?

I like old fashioned ways of things but it gets silly when the man really insists that he MUST carry your shopping and it ends up wasting time
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 18:43   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
So a person’s character, personality and behaviour don’t come into your equation?

That’s rather sad.

A nice new coat of paint won’t stop a fence from falling down if it is rotten.
I'll second that.

Maggie Thatcher looks like a proper lady, how many of you would hold a door open for her
Old 18-09-2008, 18:49   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I'll second that.

Maggie Thatcher looks like a proper lady, how many of you would hold a door open for her
Not this gentleman, she broke all the rules, a glass door 'accidentally', hitting her face?

Yes! A result!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 18:57   #24
God Member

I wonder, if you let a door slam in someones face knowing they were there would it be seen as an assault? Is there a legal duty to hold a door open for someone in that sense?
Old 18-09-2008, 19:01   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Not this gentleman, she broke all the rules, a glass door 'accidentally', hitting her face?

Yes! A result!

I must disagree with you there Less Crypts don't have glass doors and I'm sure you would open that one.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 19:01   #26
God Member

Quote:
I wonder, if you let a door slam in someones face knowing they were there would it be seen as an assault? Is there a legal duty to hold a door open for someone in that sense?
You should watch Judge Judy it is assault

Old 18-09-2008, 19:01   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You should watch Judge Judy it is assault
Judge Judy is an American programme isn't it?
Old 18-09-2008, 19:04   #28
God Member

Quote:
Judge Judy is an American programme isn't it?
Yes -I was being frivolous - but that woman uses common sense

Old 18-09-2008, 19:09   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
With the women mentioned, at the time I'd have had a better life being banged up for assault compared with how I ended up having to bring up my family under her divisive administration!

Everybody in work was taught, (through propaganda) that anyone out of work was lazy and worthless, it didn't matter that whole estates were filled with unemployed, all in that area are to be considered a blight on the nation.

Oh look, here comes another recession who's willing to bet the same attitude will come forth no matter which party is in power?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 20:26   #30
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Is Chivalry Dead

Quote:
Interesting question and one where no doubt the lawyers would argue over for years to come, whilst charging something like £500 per hour.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..