Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2008, 18:47   #61
Caz
God Member

Re: Is Chivalry Dead

Can't say I've noticed the cultural difference. Just Hindu? No other ethnic minority?
One thing that annoys me though, you hold the door for someone, then a whole parade of people keep passing through whilst you are stood there like a lemon!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2008, 19:00   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post

When I was in England, I was pretty surprised (not overly offended because I thought it might nbe cultural), when most Hindu people rarely said thank you. Over here I only notice that with some younger Black women.

Anyone else notice this type of behavior on a cultural basis?

Brian
Well, seeing as you have mentioned this ... have noticed how badly behaved their children are ... running about in shops and aisles in Supermarkets without being checked.

I thought the children in America though were extremely polite.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 19:25   #63
God Member

Quote:
I appreciate the thoughts on saying "please and thankyou." Both friends and family mock me a bit for tending to say please somewhat too much.

It does kinda bother me when you hold the door for someone and they pass through without saying thankyou. I don't think I've ever had this happen with the older generation.

When I was in England, I was pretty surprised (not overly offended because I thought it might nbe cultural), when most Hindu people rarely said thank you. Over here I only notice that with some younger Black women.

Brian
Yes............Chinese............When you go into a carry out the usual greeting is: 'Wot yu wan?'
When you order is ready 'Flied Lice'...........No prease or fankyou at either end of the transaction.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:00   #64
Passed away 25-11-09

How do you know they were Hindu?

We don't have an Asian community here but there are a few Hindu and Muslim families in the area. There are 2 Hindu boys in Laura's class (they are cousins) and they are perfectly polite, well behaved children from very nice families. I don't think we should generalize.

As for restaurants - I don't think the waiters at any of the establishments I frequent, most often Italian, Turkish, Greek and English but sometimes Chinese, ever please-and-thank me for my order. Why would they?
Old 19-09-2008, 20:08   #65
Caz
God Member

Quote:
How do you know they were Hindu?
My thoughts exactly!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 03:03   #66
Yank in King Art's Court!

I apologize West Ender, just read back my thread. It was supposed to have been written "when I've been in London." So maybe that has more to do with it also eh?

I didn't notice the same attitudes the times I was in either Yorkshire or Lancashire.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 04:00   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Can I ask a door opening etiquette question please?

Imagine if you will, a corridor with a door at either end. A gentleman who is taking you to his office for a meeting opens the first door for you (the lady) to walk through. That puts you in front as you walk down the corridor. So, what do you do when you get to the next door? As the woman should I stand aside and allow him to open it or should I open it and just walk through ahead or should I (for the sake of equality) open it for him?

Genuine answers only please! I found myself in this situation once or twice and never know what to do.
think the obvious answer to this one is ......surely you should have known that you should have 5 paces behind him in the first place , then the question wouldn't have be necessary
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 04:08   #68
God Member

Quote:

Brian
Brian , obviously you have never taken the San Francisco number 30 bus which runs thru Chinatown
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..