Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 09:44   #1
Resting in Peace

Is Chivalry Dead

When I was growing up it was the done thing to treat women with respect and be very Chivalrous towards them, but since the advent of womens lib and burn the bra in the seventies, these things seem to be dying out. I would always walk on the outside, open a door for a lady and give up my seat on a bus or train and for my part still do. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here of my age group who think the same and I'm sure ladies in that age group would still like to be treated like that too. What do you think do the younger generations still treat women with respect or is a case of 'you wanted equality so open your own flaming doors'
Old 17-09-2008, 11:36   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Is Chivalry Dead

I never asked for equal opportunities!!!

I think this day it is pretty much dead, but saying that many of the "older" generation seem to have lost it too so dont think its all, the young 'uns to blame to be honest. My dad is still ike that, opening doors, walking by the road etc but now i dont think many men are. I would like it if they were but it doesnt happen much anymore
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:48   #3
God Member

Richard always carries my shopping in from the car for me, he opens doors if he is in front of me wherever we are going, if i'm in front of him then i open them, he has given me his coat on several occasions when ive been cold but i very much doubt he would put his coat down over a puddle if we where to pass one

so NO chivalry isnt dead
Old 17-09-2008, 12:08   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

no don't think its dead, faded a bit yes, but many still live by the old values.
Old 17-09-2008, 12:16   #5
God Member

Find that most men even young ones open doors for women, think there are still some polite men out there. Think it could be said for a lot of people young and old, men and women just don't have the same consideration for other people these days and don't bother to try and help in little ways(ie holding doors for people with prams or less mobile). Maybe their lifes are lived at top speed or maybe they just have no manners!!
Old 17-09-2008, 12:47   #6
Loz

Its not dead for me!
Frank is very chivalrous,he opens doors for me,carries shopping and always walks on the outside of the pavement nearest to the road when we are walking just in case a car careers off the road i will take the impact for you is what he says!!!
Bless him!
Don't think its dead no,see plenty of younger and older men opening doors and giving up their seats etc... and long may it continue!!
Old 17-09-2008, 13:00   #7
God Member

I don't think it's dead no

He opens the door when I stand there with arms crossed lol

He moves the car up so I don't have to walk on the grass in my shoes
(Cos he'd never hear the last of it! )

He'd carry the shopping, unless it's in a pink bag lol

It is there, he just needs reminding sometimes

They once thought that chivalry might be sexist.... implying that the woman was a lesser species and needed special treatment!

Was chivalry not thought up to give men a goal in life?
To please his woman?
Old 17-09-2008, 13:55   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Is Chivalry Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
I don't think it's dead no

He opens the door when I stand there with arms crossed lol

He moves the car up so I don't have to walk on the grass in my shoes
(Cos he'd never hear the last of it! )

He'd carry the shopping, unless it's in a pink bag lol

It is there, he just needs reminding sometimes

They once thought that chivalry might be sexist.... implying that the woman was a lesser species and needed special treatment!

Was chivalry not thought up to give men a goal in life?
To please his woman?
Chivalry isn’t just about being courteous to women but being courteous to all people.

My adult kids will carry stuff from my car even if it is light enough for me to carry it.

I will open a door and hold it open for anyone regardless of age or sex. I do so because I cannot walk as fast as they do. Most people seem to be in an awful hurry these days so I prefer to step aside rather than risk being pushed aside. Far too many people, both men and women do not even glance at me let alone nod or smile a thank you and I can’t remember the last time that I actually heard someone say thank you. But that isn’t chivalry as such. That’s self preservation.

In my younger days I would do all the gentlemanly things for a lady because I was brought up to do so. Sadly there are few ladies around these days, just women - especially the younger ones.

Chivalry should be accepted with good grace and not demanded with crossed arms, a frown and a tapping foot.
Old 17-09-2008, 15:45   #9
God Member

I don't know if I am chivalrous, I don't ride a white horse in chain mail to my darling Rapunsel, but I do always try to have good manners and am described by some friends my age as old fashioned for acting so!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 16:22   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Chivalry isn’t just about being courteous to women but being courteous to all people.

My adult kids will carry stuff from my car even if it is light enough for me to carry it.

I will open a door and hold it open for anyone regardless of age or sex. I do so because I cannot walk as fast as they do. Most people seem to be in an awful hurry these days so I prefer to step aside rather than risk being pushed aside. Far too many people, both men and women do not even glance at me let alone nod or smile a thank you and I can’t remember the last time that I actually heard someone say thank you. But that isn’t chivalry as such. That’s self preservation.

In my younger days I would do all the gentlemanly things for a lady because I was brought up to do so. Sadly there are few ladies around these days, just women - especially the younger ones.

Chivalry should be accepted with good grace and not demanded with crossed arms, a frown and a tapping foot.
I hold the door open for other people (generally anoyone behind me regardless of who they are), despite struggling to do this with a double pram i still do it.

As for there being few ladies around these days, maybe you are right, but as for holding doors open, saying thanks etc, i do this as this is how i would like to be treated myself
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 16:34   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Basically, yes Chivalry is if not dead, is very, very, poorly, there are a few of we males, (of various ages), that will open a door and there are also a few ladies, (of various ages), that appreciate and acknowledge the courtesy offered them.

Unfortunately we also have a breed of women that not only don't say thank you, but will go out of their way to humiliate anyone with manners and often in terms that would shame a docker!

I will not however stop opening a door or helping anyone of what used to be called the 'fairer sex', because the ones that do smile and say, "thank you", make it worth while for the world to have to put up with the coarse ignorant ones.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 23:19   #12
Junior Member+

I think the pendulum is swinging back. I was brought up to be chivalrous (meaning courteous to ladies) and have always tried to practice it. There was a time, following the burning of the bras years, when I got odd looks from young ladies if I opened doors for them etc. but I now find that I usually get a lovely smile and a very genuine "thank you"; the young ladies of today seem to be appreciating what are, to me, just good manners.
exaccyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 23:31   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaccyman View Post
I think the pendulum is swinging back. I was brought up to be chivalrous (meaning courteous to ladies) and have always tried to practice it. There was a time, following the burning of the bras years, when I got odd looks from young ladies if I opened doors for them etc. but I now find that I usually get a lovely smile and a very genuine "thank you"; the young ladies of today seem to be appreciating what are, to me, just good manners.
think ya may be right mate, thats what i find meself anyway.
Old 18-09-2008, 12:48   #14

Why can't we be chivalrous to everyone?

I open doors for men as well as other women. That would be nice wouldn't it, if I just let the door slam in their face because they're a bloke!

Come to think of it though, I think fellas could be nicer to each other. They don't buy each other gifts, or get each other cards for special occasions and I've seen men who don't know each other avoid eye contact at parties until football is at last mentioned.....
Pamperqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 16:39   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamperqueen View Post
Why can't we be chivalrous to everyone?

I open doors for men as well as other women. That would be nice wouldn't it, if I just let the door slam in their face because they're a bloke!

Come to think of it though, I think fellas could be nicer to each other. They don't buy each other gifts, or get each other cards for special occasions and I've seen men who don't know each other avoid eye contact at parties until football is at last mentioned.....
Well come on PQ football is the gospel remember, without it what would us lads talk about anyway

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..