Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By Eric
  • 3 Post By Eric
  • 6 Post By Wynonie Harris
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 2 Post By hyndburner
  • 3 Post By Guinness
  • 2 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2015, 15:56   #1
Senior Member+

Is it April 1st?

'I don't believe it!'

Serco apologises after hiring stretch limo for asylum seekers - BBC News
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2015, 15:59   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is it April 1st?

Oh i do, theres that many dickhead do-gooders about these days.
Eric likes this.
Old 14-10-2015, 16:09   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i do, theres that many dickhead do-gooders about these days.
Oh for the good old days (ok, I'm an old fart; so, I'm allowed to say that) when doing good was simple. You did what was right. Simple. On the occasions I forgot what was right, I got my arse tanned. But the "dickhead do-gooders" just don't get it. They seem to be suffering from inter-rectal cranial insertion.
cashman likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 16:18   #4
God Member

Oh ... and to answer the question: In a PC world, every day is April 1st.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 16:25   #5
Senior Member+

My only concern is that after their free hotel, with full board and spending money in London and a stretch limo for transport, they don't feel let down by what Manchester has to offer.
After all, they obviously do have standards and expectations!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 17:13   #6
Super Moderator

So what?

Serco certainly aren't "do-gooders". They're a private company who have been contracted at a pre-negotiated fee to provide a service (because ever since the days of Thatcher, successive governments have contracted out more and more of the state's functions to private companies). Even if the company had decided to take them in the back of a Commer van, it wouldn't have made a scrap of difference to the amount the taxpayer forks out to Serco.

Still, it's a good story (which I see has been splashed all over the toilet paper that masquerades as the Daily Mail) and it diverts folks' attention from the fact that the government are dismantling the NHS and pushing thousands of ordinary working families into hardship by cutting tax credits, while they reward their rich mates.

A total non-story in my view.
Old 14-10-2015, 18:39   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Should've given them travel warrants & let them travel by public transport on the cheapest route to boot, if it's good enough for squaddies (and it was in my day) it's more than good enough for these people.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 14-10-2015, 19:10   #8

Its not April Fools Day. That came the first time any PUBLIC service was put out to PRIVATE tender.

Don't blame SERCO. They are contracted to provide a service to the Home Office, and in this case, it made commercial sense to hire a stretch limo. Might not be the cheapest option, but probably the only one to avoid penalty payments.

We've had it over the years with a putrid privatised rail network, a disastrous water gas and electricity service.............and don't even get me started on bin collections, street cleaning and housing repairs. an unmitigated disaster all round.

Public Services belong in ONE place - providedby PUBLIC enterprises.
Guinness and cmonstanley like this.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 21:44   #9

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Erm..neither do I..if Serco can spend £3000 on a trip from London to Manchester, and still make a profit..kinda shows, once again, how little research the tory mandarins do when they hand out contracts, and how free they are with taxpayers money in these times of austerity
Old 17-10-2015, 14:07   #10

Heck, I need to leave my job and take up a new one, transporing immegrants & asylum seekers - I would doubletruple my wage easily, and thats after I have hired a minivan for it.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 15:13   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Heck, I need to leave my job and take up a new one, transporing immegrants & asylum seekers - I would doubletruple my wage easily, and thats after I have hired a minivan for it.
sory you wont make a penny

needs to be a limo with leather seats , mini bar and privacy window..

maybe even a little strobe light and a disco ball incase they want to make a night of it

if you want a government contract think big.The more wastefull the better your chance
Gremlin and RainbowSix like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..