Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2020, 09:47   #1
Beacon of light

Is it Coronaphobia...or lazyitis.

I am going to be a bit provocative here.
There are reports that many workers in the U.K. Are too scared to go back to work...that it is too soon to lift the restrictions of the lockdown.....and it has been dubbed 'coronaphobia'....but is it that or is it a lot of 'lazyitis'.

Many folk have said, when surveyed, that they have more money in their pockets since the lockdown.
Well of course they will have, won't they.
If theynare furloughed then they are getting 80% of their pay from the tax payer.
They may even have organised for a mortgage holiday.....and a refund on their car insurance too....and of course there is less opportunity to spend any of this money.
The weather has been kind and who wouldn't want to be on a sun lounger in the back garden...or sunning their bum on a beach(if you live by the seaside)

I am sure that many of the front line workers...the nurses, the firemen, the shop workers would happily swap places.

So do you think it is time to shake off the sloth and get the UK moving again?
Should the chancellor pare down the cash he is throwing around?
Don' t these folk realise that we will all be paying this money back for decades to come?
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2020, 10:26   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is it Coronaphobia...or lazyitis.

thing is,to me this is going to take a hell of a while to become safe or a vaccine is ready,the economy like other places is knackered, we have to go back sometime, all we can use is the judgement of those who are being paid to give advice and know a damn site more than than us. not local councilors who know sod all really,i think if the scientists say go back, then thats what must happen,
Old 23-05-2020, 11:12   #3
Beacon of light

Cashy, the real way out of this is testing....testing to see who has had the virus(even though immunity cannot be presumed)....testing to see who is free of the virus....and can be allowed to return to work.

Would you take a vaccine that had been hurriedly put together, whose side effects were unknown, whose effectiveness was not quantified??
Viruses mutate...so there is no guarantee that a vaccine produced now would protect in the future....or how long immunity would last.

We are being bamboozled into thinking that this virus kills everybody...it doesn't.

We cannot live life without risk....if everything were opened up tomorrow I would be out and about like a shot....the best way to deal with this situation is to be exposed and develop our own immunity.
There has been some recent research that says that people who have had colds seem to have an immunity to the virus......also The Centre for Disease Control has said that the virus does not last on hard surfaces....that it is mainly spread by droplets.

This inertia has to be removed.....and the way to do that is to remove government support.

What these folk don't realise is that once the lockdown is lifted there may not be jobs to go back to.
Shearing the travel firm has just folded.....that means than many hotels and businesses supplying the hotels that these coaches visited will lose their business too.

If it were me I would be more than happy to go back to work.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:14   #4
Beacon of light

Oh, and the scientists are so divided on this Cashy....it was a pseudo scientists flawed computer modelling that got us into this....so don't rely on scientists for the answer....they know far less than you think.

We have no idea who is on the SAGE committee that are advising the government....we know nothing of their credentials or their areas of interest.....there has been very little transparency and that is worrying.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-05-2020 at 11:21.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:59   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

scientists are always divided nothing new yon. all im saying is thats all we can go off good or bad, those who are paid,
Old 23-05-2020, 12:06   #6
Junior Member+

Margaret.

Have a look at this site, its a list of every person involved. Not sure who makes the tea!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nse-membership
DonaldH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:33   #7
Beacon of light

Donald, that is an impressive list of people(thank you for the link)......and with such a wide range of scientists isn't it a bit surprising that since the pandemic 24 million people have entered this country via our airports with a single one of them being health checked?

And such a wide range of scientists are very unlikely to reach agreement so I reckon that only a few of them were actually involved with advising the government

Isn't it strange that rather than organise for isolation units to be set up in the different regions of this country, they chose to admit those with Covid 19 and those suspected of having Covid 19 to district General Hospitals?(there have been reports that people contracted the virus while in hospital being treated for other issues)
Would it not have been more sensible to have set up isolation units with nurses and Doctors working solely in those units?
For a kick off they have known from the outset that this is droplet borne....so air conditioning in general wards? Possibly a transmission route.
(As far as I am aware only the theatres and intensive care units have air conditioning that works differently to that of the main hospital wards)

Now I am not a scientist, but these things occur to me as common sense approaches.

There is talk of vaccines, immunity passports, but who in their right mind would take a vaccine that has not been rigorously tested.....and scientists tell us that we should not hold out hope for a vaccine as one may never be produced.
SARS was prevalent in 2003 and there still is NO vaccine for this....Covid 19 is likened to SARS but a more severe form.

So are all of these people waiting for a vaccine before they go back to work?
Old 23-05-2020, 12:35   #8
Beacon of light

That list was only published on the 4th of May and I think it was as a response to the secretive nature being perceived by the general public as who made up this group.
Old 23-05-2020, 13:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am going to be a bit provocative here.
There are reports that many workers in the U.K. Are too scared to go back to work...that it is too soon to lift the restrictions of the lockdown.....and it has been dubbed 'coronaphobia'....but is it that or is it a lot of 'lazyitis'.

Many folk have said, when surveyed, that they have more money in their pockets since the lockdown.
Well of course they will have, won't they.
If theynare furloughed then they are getting 80% of their pay from the tax payer.
They may even have organised for a mortgage holiday.....and a refund on their car insurance too....and of course there is less opportunity to spend any of this money.
The weather has been kind and who wouldn't want to be on a sun lounger in the back garden...or sunning their bum on a beach(if you live by the seaside)

I am sure that many of the front line workers...the nurses, the firemen, the shop workers would happily swap places.

So do you think it is time to shake off the sloth and get the UK moving again?
Should the chancellor pare down the cash he is throwing around?
Don' t these folk realise that we will all be paying this money back for decades to come?
I realise that you spent the majority of your working life with the N.H.S. Marge but please do not underestimate the seriousness of this Corona Virus. I have always been like yourself and many others; Sceptical of the advice that the government is issuing until last week that is. A very good friend of mine who I have known since we were young teenagers was released (if that is the word to use) from hospital after being in intensive care, under sedation and on a ventilater, for two weeks and a further two weeks on the ward, with (yes) Corvid 19. This friend was one of the fittest people you could ever come across and also a Ju-Jitsu Master.
He is now, I was going to say walking but a better term is shuffling about with the aid of a walking frame.
I am now content to stay at home with hazel,for as long as it takes, (with the aid of a Hobgoblin or three of course. (after typing that comment it does seem rather flippant but it is not meant to be). Your's as ever, Stay Safe, Regards, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 14:33   #10
Beacon of light

Taddy, yes I have spent a long time in the NHS....and I do not underestimate the effects of this virus to those who fall into the category of the susceptible......but for those in the 40 and under age bracket, the risk of dying from this is just about 1 per cent.

We need to get a sense of perspective on this.....the media of all kinds has been instrumental in turning the population of the country into nervous wrecks.

Yet an old man approaching his hundredth birthday raised 33 million pounds for the NHS.....a man who had been in the military and survived a war....so tell me is he made up of something different?

I am pleased to hear that your friend(who must be described as being in the vulnerable grouping spite of being fit and healthy.....and I hate the 'vulnerable'generalisation) has come through the other side of this illness.....and of course it is going to take time for him to recover completely......he is older, frailer and probably will never get back to where he was before...but yet I hope he does because he sounds like a man of courage and determination...not one to 'give up'.

We cannot live our lives without risk.
We have to take up the reins again....to get people back to work....but there really is little incentive if you think you can sit on the sofa with your feet up and be paid for it.

Of course we have to be vigilant, of course we have to take precautions....but when will it be right to get up and go out again...this year, next year, sometime, never......and when we do get back to work....will the work still be there to go back to...because in many cases it won't.
A life on the sofa then will not not be the comfortable thing it is now.
There have been times during this crisis when I have wanted to go back to work.
The work of looking after people.
It does not take an Einstein to give a patient a drink, to take them for a bath , to help them wash......but because I have a close family member who has cancer I cannot do that.

In spite of being frustrated and feeling diminished by the lockdown....I have kept to it because of my family concerns.
But if I were one of the younger folk....I would be itching to get back to work and get the country off its knees....it is not where the UK belongs.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-05-2020 at 14:37.
Old 24-05-2020, 15:13   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Of course people are happy to sit at home, they're getting good money for nothing & lapping it up, so why would they want to go back to the grind & drudgery of having to work for a living? After all it just gets in the way of their monging out at home.

As to the excuse that it's not safe, absolute bull! If the necessary precautions & preventitive measures are in place they can get back to work because if they don't & they drag it out even longer, there may well be no work place to go back to.

Plus I'll bet about 80% of them have been out & about enjoying the good weather in far more "Dangerous" places!
Old 24-05-2020, 16:54   #12
Beacon of light

I thought it was just me with my cynical head on.

When I look at how hard the key workers are working, it grieves me....they must feel really valued(not).
What does clapping for these worker achieve? Burger all, that's what.

These folk who are lolling around on beaches and in parks might find that when the healthy furlough payments cease they have no job to go back to and the dole will not be anywhere near as generous.
They all need to wake up and quickly.....don't they realise we are all going to be payin this back for decades?
Old 25-05-2020, 10:17   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Of course people are happy to sit at home, they're getting good money for nothing & lapping it up, so why would they want to go back to the grind & drudgery of having to work for a living? After all it just gets in the way of their monging out at home.

As to the excuse that it's not safe, absolute bull! If the necessary precautions & preventitive measures are in place they can get back to work because if they don't & they drag it out even longer, there may well be no work place to go back to.

Plus I'll bet about 80% of them have been out & about enjoying the good weather in far more "Dangerous" places!
my lad is one of these 80 per centers. he,s lapping it up. been told he,d have to go back in june but is not looking forward to it. being a vehicle mechanic there are plenty of folk still using their cars so he is regularly picking up money repairing them. nothing extra to spend so he,s been quids in . add to this those who are either lazy or hate their jobs more than most will have to be priced or forced back to work. this virus is never totally going away but neither is cancer, heart disease, mental problems etc. going away either.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 10:20   #14
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1240464]I thought it was just me with my cynical head on.

When I look at how hard the key workers are working, it grieves me....they must feel really valued(not).
What does clapping for these worker achieve? Burger all, that's what.

it achieves the so called feel good factor for those who clap. thats before they block up A and E and the doctors surgeries once again with their pathetic time waisting non essential visits.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 10:32   #15
Beacon of light

I have never liked the clapping thing, it has always seemed to me to be about those clapping rather than those who are being clapped for...and it does not one jot of good.
I think it is condescending and a symptom of media hype.

If you asked those who are clapping to pay an extra penny in the pund on their taxes to increase the pay of those key workers( and that means not just the NHS staf, but other essential supply chain staff) what do you think would be the response?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..