Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2018, 12:21   #31

Re: Is it time to bring back national ID cards?

It will be interesting to see what kind of ID will be required. If it's photographic, my mother will struggle. She hasn't a driving licence or passport, and she has recently been refused the renewal of her disabled blue badge for parking by Lancashire County Council.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2018, 12:43   #32
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

During the trials local authorities decided what was classed as ID, but I would assume at national level (whenever that happens) the government of the day will stipulate what is acceptable.

Five areas have been chosen for the trial What's happening?
Up until now, people only had to walk into a polling station and give their name and address to vote.
But from Thursday, some voters will have to bring a form of ID to prove who they are before they can cast a ballot.
This is to tackle personification fraud - where someone votes while pretending to be someone else.
The five areas affected are Bromley, Gosport, Swindon, Watford and Woking.
What ID do I need to vote, where?
:: Swindon - Your poll card, or if it has been mislaid, photo ID such as a driving licence or passport
:: Watford - Your poll card, or if it has been mislaid, photo ID or a valid debit or credit card
:: Woking - Photo ID, such as a driving licence or bus pass
:: Bromley - Photo ID or two forms of ID, including one with your address on
:: Gosport - Photo ID or two forms of ID, including one with your address on
You can also apply through your local authority for an "electoral identity letter".
The "electoral identity letter" costs nothing and just needs to be applied. Contact your local authority for further details.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:47   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What i need to vote is "Convincing there is a Party, worth the effort"
Old 06-05-2018, 12:58   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Just bringing this back out again because it appears our "Illustrious leaders" (Quit your sniggering at the back there! ), have decided that after the limited trials at the recent local elections they're looking to roll out the ID at voting stations nationally. When isn't exactly clear, but it will be coming.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...inue-elections
What I.D. are they going to use to ensure postal votes are filled in honestly?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:21   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What I.D. are they going to use to ensure postal votes are filled in honestly?
And that's the kicker! They've got no controls in place to cover that little niggle. Personally I'd suggest only Forces overseas & their spouses / Embassy personnel & their families get a postal vote. As for those who are likely to be away from their constituency at the time, they should drag their sorry arses down to the Town hall/ Admin buildings, present self with required ID & deposit ballot paper into the sealed con box for locals, as for nationals the relevant ID should suffice to vote in the area you're in as in effect your details will be held centrally, a quick call or mail to confirm elligability & Bingo! Simple in theory, but oh how the squealing will resound from the usual suspects.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 06-05-2018 at 13:24.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 14:59   #36
Beacon of light

It is postal vote fraud that is most worrying.
You cannot know for sure who has cast that vote.
I am sure there are some areas of the community who rely on postal votes and these cards could be filled in by the man who considers himself the 'head' of the household.

My late mother used a postal vote because she found it very difficult to get to the polling station....and my disabled daughter also uses a postal vote for the same reasons.

When I went to vote on Thursday I took my voting card.
If the identification of a voter is required then I have many ways that I could identify myself.
I have a P60, I have a letter from the NHS which confirms my NHS number. I have a bank statement.
I do not mind providing any of these as my proof of identity.
What I will not subscribe to is a National ID card system because it would prove nothing.

National ID cards would just be another stealth tax....because they would not be free.
I am sure those who were not entitled to be here and could not get one legally would be obliged by the criminal element in this country who would clone them, fake them etc.

And who would police them?
If no one polices a system, then it might just as well not be there.
As for getting medical treatment...a couple of weeks ago I trotted along to a local hospital with my NHS number and received the surgery I needed.
I am known by my GP.
I have lived in this country for seventy years....no one has ever missed collecting my taxes, the local council knows who I am and what local taxes need to be extracted from me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 15:02   #37
Beacon of light

And we have chewed this bit of cabbage many times in the past...nothing has changed that makes me change my views.
It won't stop terrorists, it won't stop illegal immigration.
For that you need a border force that count people in, count people out and seek out the overstayers.
Border enforcement here is a very bad joke.
Old 06-05-2018, 15:51   #38

See post 28. I've just won ten bob!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 16:10   #39
Beacon of light

not enough to buy a loaf. I do hope you won't let all that money go to your head.
Almost a year has passed which means the glue on the post it note has dried out...and it has fallen down the back of my desk(it has my 'no response' threads on it)
See you in another year if this thread is still rolling....who knows, by then I might have had a change of mind(!)
By the way...who is paying out that large sum?
Michael1954 likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 18:24   #40
Full Member+

It won't have an effect on immigration but if it is an offence not to carry ID, the scrotes moving around in darkness separating us from our belongings could be ID'd much quicker. I don't have an issue with the authorities knowing who or where I am because I have nothing to hide

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 19:09   #41
Beacon of light

But I don't think they will...because there would have to be someone in authority checking the cards....who will this be, the police?
Or will there be some other government agency doing the job that should have been done by the border force.
We are talking about identifying the people who have a right to be here, rather than an ID system to finger criminals.
Those who are illegals will find some criminal to either duplicate/fake/clone cards...and those of us who have nothing to hide will be treated as though we have.
This country has the highest level of surveillance in the world...and this would add another layer to that.

I have nothing to hide, but will not have a designated IDCard.
Now I am done(well, for at least 12 months).
hilleluk likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 19:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
there would have to be someone in authority checking the cards....who will this be, the police?
Or will there be some other government agency doing the job that should have been done by the border force.
They'll probably award the contract to Crapita for £x-billions a year from our taxes, rather than invest a similar amount into the appropriate agencies!!

With Crapita's usual success rate!
hilleluk likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16   #43
God Member

must have missed this ID cards first time around. the problem for me would be the cost which we all know would be over the top and would it actually stop crime or illegals entering our country. not a bloody hope in hell.
hilleluk likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..